• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AUGUST 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

Thread for posting scores for our monthly <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #CC9933">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION</span>" </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #009900">SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span>"</span> matches.

(the SH 50 yard TRC will start in August 2010)

<span style="color: #FF0000">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION RULES </span>

SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Scores of both of the short range competitions will be posted in the same thread. If you shoot both the 4P and TRC, please use 2 different posts (one for each). At the end of the month, scores and rankings from both competitions will be posted as seperate events.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PREVIOUS <span style="color: #CC9933">4 POSITION</span> and <span style="color: #009900">50yd TACTICAL</span> SCORES </span>

JULY 2010 scores

JUNE 2010 scores

MAY 2010 scores

April 2010 scores

March 2010 scores

February 2010 scores

January 2010 scores

DECEMBER 2009 SCORES

A place for a good source of tips, tricks, what worked, what didn't, rifle / ammo performance, thoughts, etc.:

Learnings thread for SH short range competitions

Re: AUGUST 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Introducing the "new look" of the short range rimfire competition sticky and the addition of the NEW <span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-weight: bold">SNIPER'S HIDE 50 YARD TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span></span>.

There may (probably) be some minor changes to the target and rules that will pertain to September, as any positive or negative feedback from August is implemented, so check to make sure before September.

August 2010 will be the inaugural match for the "TRC", a big thanks to SMALLBORESNIPER that came up with the idea for the match and SHAZ_AU that "morphed" together the submitted proposed targets into one target.

Also a big thanks to Lowlight and his Moderators for allowing this to happen, and all the folks that put in their ideas of "tweeking" the target and rules along the way. NEOSHOOTER, KANSAS 45, JR_V, DOUBS 43, BEEFA, and anyone else that we may have missed.

A picture of the target we will use for August is below, where you will be able to get it in the future, and instructions on how to print it:
PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS It's been added to the link you can normally find in the short range sticky.

SH50YTRCTARGETAUGUST.jpg

For historical purposes on the development or revisting ideas:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1920168#Post1920168
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1932492#Post1932492
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1939398#Post1939398

I hope everyone can have fun with this competition, the goal was to have a precision tactical styled match with different scenarios incorporated that got away from the ordinary scoring rings.....

STAGE #1 <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">COLD BORE </span></span>- Self Explainitory.
STAGE #2 <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">THE GRID </span></span>- Shoot randomly picked numbers every month. Has a spot and search for the target of oppurtunity twist.
STAGE #3 <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">GROUP</span></span> - Attempt to group 5 rounds in a 3/4" circle.
STAGE #4 <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">KNOW YOUR LIMITS </span></span>- Risks and rewards, know how far can you push it with your skills / equipment and know when to quit before your luck runs out!
STAGE #5 <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">HOSTAGE</span></span> - Take down the hostiles and save the hostage.

There is a change for stage 3, 10 points for every round in the circle, -10 for any out. Target will be corrected when all input is received for September, rules as of 07-30-2010: SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

HAVE AT IT BOYS!

The 10 numbers (picked at random) for the August match for The Grid stage and to be shot in the order picked are:

<span style="font-size: 17pt">16 - 15 - 3 - 6 - 14 - 22 - 18 - 2 - 8 - 5 </span>

50Y TRC B

NAME: TOP PREDATOR
RIFLE: MKII BV
CALIBER: 22LR
AMMO: AUILA GOLDEN EAGLE RIFLE MATCH
SIGHTS: SCOPE
REST: HARRIS BIPOD / REAR BAG

STAGE 1: 25
STAGE 2: 30
STAGE 3: 40
STAGE 4: 0
STAGE 5: 30

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 125

NOTE ANY PENALTIES: SHOT ON 22 HIT 15, SHOT ON 18 HIT 9, SHOT ON 8 ALSO HIT 2, SHOT ON 5 HIT 22. 1 HIT ON STAGE 3 OUTSIDE CIRCLE. STAGE 4 MISSED ON THE 10POINT CIRCLE. STAGE 5 HIT 1 HOSTAGE

SCORE WRITTEN ON TARGET WRONG MISS ON 16 A 0 NOT A -5
AUG1050YDTRC.jpg

50Y TRC B SS

NAME: TOP PREDATOR
RIFLE: MKII BV
AMMO: AUILA GOLDEN EAGLE RIFLE MATCH

STAGE 2: 35
STAGE 5: 20

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 120

NOTE ANY PENALTIES: SHOT ON 6 HIT 9, SHOT ON 2 HIT 19, SHOT ON 8 HIT 18. MISS ON STAGE 3. CHOKED ON STAGE 4. MISSED CLEAN ON MIDDLE HOSTAGE.

AUG1050YDTRCSS.jpg

I took out that damn center hostage again. And I'll admit, I played it safe and didn't go for the 1/4" KYL. Leavin that craziness for Neo.
smile.gif

50Y TRC B

NAME: SmallBoreSniper
RIFLE: Marlin 917VR
CALIBER: .17 HMR
AMMO: CCI TNT Hollow Point
SIGHTS: SCOPE 15X
REST: BIPOD / REAR BAG

STAGE 2: 50
STAGE 3: 50
STAGE 4: 35
STAGE 5: 40

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 200

(I crumpled my target too early but this is an exact recreation)

DSC01283.jpg

Crazy
crazy.gif
Who me? I'm thinking it's gonna depend on how I'm shooting that day if I'll take the risk. I'm gonna be in Pittsburg this weekend so maybe next week I'll get a score posted good luck everybody.

83 DEG. 5 MPH OR LESS WIND FROM 3:00, LOW HUMIDITY, SUNNY

my best 4p score, by far....

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Match: 25Y-4P
Class: S
Rifle: Savage MKII F
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Winchester super x
TLB: 47-1x (offhand)
TRB: 46-0x (kneeling)
CB: 47-2x (sitting)
LLB: 49-3x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-4x (prone - bipod) possibly 5x's, it was tough to tell, so i called it 4x's
Total Score: 239-10x

aug201025y4p.jpg

still need to work on the kneeling, but all in all pretty pleased for a change!

Looks like 5 Xs on that pod target. Shot only has to touch the line to be "in".
Nice shooting.
Three weeks of inlaws here.
Did shoot the new tacitcal target with score of 90/250.
Will post score in proper form later.
Took the scope off and found the screws holding the rail on were not very tight.
Sure hope that is the cause for my poor shooting.
Just need some range time.

50Y TRC B

NAME: RicosRevenge
RIFLE: Ruger 10/22
AMMO: Eley EPS Target Rifle 40 gr.
SIGHTS: Weaver T24
REST: Harris Bipod / No Rear Support

STAGE 1: 0
STAGE 2: 40
STAGE 5: 20

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 110

NOTE ANY PENALTIES: MISSED COLD BORE, SHOT ON #2 HIT #8, STAGE 4 MISSED ON THE 10 POINT CIRCLE. STAGE 5 HIT 1 HOSTAGE

FINDINGS:
1. I need to learn where the gun shoots cold!
2. Over confidence sucks.
3. Shooting off a Harris Bipod with a little .22 is hard since it is tough to load up the gun... and then with a non-floated barrel the POI might actually shift with different pressure on the stock (haven't proved that yet though). Using a bench rest is a completely different game!

2723164001_large.jpg

50Y TRC B SS

NAME: RicosRevenge
RIFLE: Ruger 10/22
AMMO: Eley EPS Target Rifle 40 gr.
SIGHTS: Weaver T24
REST: Harris Bipod / No Rear Support

STAGE 2: 30
STAGE 4: 35
STAGE 5: 40

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 170 <span style="font-weight: bold">(<span style="color: #FF0000">SCORE ON TARGET INCORRECT</span>)</span>

NOTE ANY PENALTIES: SHOT ON #5 - HIT #4, SHOT ON #2 - HIT #8, STAGE 3 MISSED ONE SHOT IN GROUP

FINDINGS:
1. Figured out the cold bore placement (gun sat in the A/C in the Clubhouse for over an hour)
2. Uncomfortableness in position (off hand) can create unbelievable focus

2723164002_large.jpg

Nice shooting Rico. Yeah I have a non floating barrel too. I do try to keep the pressure on the stock the same every shot. I try to put my hands in the exact same place every shot, with the exact amount of pressure as possible through my thumb, palm, fingers, shoulder, and cheek. It does seem to help a little. I'll get around to free floating it some day.

Name; Clodhopper
Class; scope
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; 22LR
Ammo: CCI blazers
Match; 25YP 4P
TLB; 48 2-X
TRB; 44
CB; 45 1-X
LLB; 48
LRB; 50 1-X no pod
Total score 235 4-X

Name; Clodhopper
Class; scope
Rifle;10-22
Caliber; 22lr
Ammo; CCI blazers
Match; 25YP 4P SS
TLB 43 1-X
TRB; 46 2-X
CB; 41
LLB; 49 4-X
LRB; 49 1-X no pod
Total 228 8-X

Name; Clodhopper
Class; scope
Rifle 10-22
Caliber 22LR
Ammo; CCI blazers
50 Yp tactical
Stage 1; 0
Stage 2; 20
Stage 3; 0
Stage 4; 50
Total score 90
There's always next month to shoot a better tac target,
My 4P targets were shot after tightening the scope rail.

50Y TRC P
NAME: Neoshooter
RIFLE: Savage TR
CALIBER: 22 LR.
AMMO: Wolf Match Extra
SIGHTS: Scope (24X)
REST:Harris and Rear Bag

STAGE 4: 65
STAGE 5: 50

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 240

NOTE ANY PENALTIES: None

AugRTC.jpg

Notes: My groups shot would have been better but the backer I was using was wavy and the first shot ripped the paper below the the circle so the next shot I aimed high. Its was right on some I moved my POA back and sent the next 3. So far the Wolf ammo has been the best I've shot out of this gun

Nice work Neoshooter, that's some damn impressive shooting!
cool.gif

That's about what I was expecting from you Neo. Some damn fine Shootin!

50Y TRC B

NAME: Carter Mayfield
RIFLE: Rem 40X with Krieger Barrel
AMMO: ELEY MATCH

STAGE 4: 65
STAGE 5: 60

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 250

082110SHTactical50yd.jpg

I was sweating two parts: the cold bore shot, and the KYL 30 pts. Even on Smack the Smiley, I don't do a real cold bore shot. For this competition, I just left the barrel uncleaned from my last session to try to minimize shift. Luckily, the numbers stage helps the gun to settle in before the precision is required for the next two stages.

On the "Know Your Limits" stage, I figured out that I needed to aim a little low and to the left after shooting the 5 pointer. When I shot the 10 pointer dead center, I went straight to the 30 pointer and took the shot as I knew where to aim and the wind was stable. Then I went and shot the 20 pointer... rather carelessly and almost blew the whole match.

The hostage stage was tougher than I thought. My POI had drifted up and I never compensated enough, but I edged the 20 points in every shot, which is good enough.

Again, I think we will need some sort of tie breaker, because a perfect score is a real possibility. I prefer using group size as a tie breaker, or we could use the cold bore shot like they do on Smack the Smiley.

New Shooter from downunder.

Name: NZShoota
Match: 25Y-4P
Class: S
Rifle: CZ452 American
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Winchester SubSonic 40gr HP
TLB: 48-2x (offhand)
TRB: 50-3x (kneeling)
CB: 50-4x (sitting)
LLB: 50-4x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-5x (prone - bipod)
Total Score: 248-18x

50Y TRC B

NAME: NZShoota
MATCH: 50Y TRC P
RIFLE: CZ452 American
AMMO: Winchester SubSonic 40gr HP
CLASS: S
REST: Harris bipod/rear bag

STAGE 2: 40
STAGE 5: 30

Total 125

Thanks! The KYL shot is not a 100% shot for me by any means, so I figure I will go for it and just have to suffer some losses... no guts, no glory.

I am the same way with Smack the Smiley. I do my confidence shot on the small smiley every time, which means I have had to throw away a lot of great targets. So far, with 4 tries, I have managed to do it every time, but one of these days, I am going to roll the dice and come up craps.

Anyway, it is a fun target. Shooting at circles can get kind of monotonous after a while.

Yeah we were trying to shake things up a little with this target. A bunch of guys did a lot of work, so I'm glad to hear members are having fun shooting it.

Ah the infamous 1/4" KYL. I've hit it a few times practicing. However, so far I've needed the help of a little optical illusion. I draw a 1/2" circle around it, knowing that if I hit that, I will at least break the line on the 1/4".

kansas45
Savage MKII FV
.22LR
CCI Subsonic
Scope
Harris BiPod, rear bag

Stage 1: 25
Stage 2: 40
Stage 3: 40
Stage 4: 0
Stage 5: 30
Total score: 135

SnipersHideRimeFire005.jpg

I like this competition. Any changes for September?

^Thanks.^
Kinda' took a dump on the rest of the deal though.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kansas45
I like this competition. Any changes for September? </div></div>

all that i'm aware of as far as feedback goes is just the spacing on the target between the boxes on stage 2 "The Grid" to make misses more easily to determine (and possible). the old one will be replaced with the new one on the 31st of August.

....and maybe have carter shoot it with a sling shot or at 100 yards!
laugh.gif

just kiddin, really nice target and shooting Mr. Mayfield.

it's nice to see new people shooting the comps.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">AUGUST 2010 SHORT RANGE COMPETITION SCORES:</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">25Y 4P</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR CAL. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"S" CLASS</span>

1. NZSHOOTA..............248 - 18X
smile.gif

2. TOP PREDATOR.........239 - 10X
3. CLODHOPPER...........235 - 4X

<span style="font-weight: bold">"S" CLASS SS</span>

1. CLODHOPPER............228 - 8X

<span style="color: #FF0000">50YD TRC B</span>

1. SMALLBORESNIPER.......200
smile.gif

2. KANSAS45.................135
3. TOP PREDATOR...........125
4. RICOSREVENGE...........110

<span style="color: #FF0000">50YD TRC B "SS"</span>

1. RICOSREVENGE..........170
2. TOP PREDATOR..........120

<span style="color: #FF0000">50YD TRC P</span>

1. CARTER MAYFIELD.......250 (<span style="color: #FF0000">PERFECT</span> <span style="color: #FFFFFF">SCORE</span> <span style="color: #3366FF">!!!!!</span>)
smile.gif

2. NEOSHOOTER............240
3. NZSHOOTA...............125
4. CLODHOPPER..............90

Thanks to all that participated this month, and your input in the learnings thread. Looking at the different styles of rifles and ammos being used both in the short range and long range matches and the tips and tricks shared, it's turning out to be a good source of information.

Welcome to a few new shooters to the competitions NZSHOOTA (highest score in the 25Y 4P), KANSAS45, RICOSREVENGE (TRC support side champ).

A a big thanks to everyone that helped get the 50yd TRC competition going, especially to SMALLBORESNIPER that came up with and promoted what appears to be an interesting competition.

And who else but CARTER MAYFIELD to get a perfect score of 250 in the inagural match.

Congratulations to NZSHOOTA, SMALLBORESNIPER, and CARTER MAYFIELD who were the hottest in the Summer of August 2010, but will they "Fall" in September 2010?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kansas45
I like this competition. Any changes for September? </div></div>

all that i'm aware of as far as feedback goes is just the spacing on the target between the boxes on stage 2 "The Grid" to make misses more easily to determine (and possible). the old one will be replaced with the new one on the 31st of August.

</div></div>

Is Shaz the one working on the target? I'm itchin to check it out.

yeah he already did it up, i'm going to replace it in the printable targets section in a little while, once i get all the september thread stuff ready to post

A REALLY BIG THANKS TO SHAZ FOR TAKING THE TIME TO BUILD THE TARGET.

Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to make this match happen. Let's keep things going & maybe some other shooters will join in. I enjoyed this months match & hope to have enough time & days without the Kansas winds to join in on the longer range 22 LR matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah he already did it up, i'm going to replace it in the printable targets section in a little while, once i get all the september thread stuff ready to post

A REALLY BIG THANKS TO SHAZ FOR TAKING THE TIME TO BUILD THE TARGET. </div></div>

I like!

Yeah, thanks to all. Fun target. BTW... I copy and pasted... I actually shot from the prone position.

This looks like a blast. I'm in, I'll be shooting it next Wed. I'm gonna try to 100 and 200 yard one too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, thanks to all. Fun target. BTW... I copy and pasted... I actually shot from the prone position. </div></div>

Nice shooting!

What scope do you use?

Thanks!

I use a Nightforce 3.5-15X50mm NXS. I think 15X magnification is perfect for 50 yards. I have a 6-24X Zeiss that I have on my 17hmr and 24X at 50 yards gives me an illusion of having far more precision than I actually do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks!

I use a Nightforce 3.5-15X50mm NXS. I think 15X magnification is perfect for 50 yards. I have a 6-24X Zeiss that I have on my 17hmr and 24X at 50 yards gives me an illusion of having far more precision than I actually do. </div></div>

Nice glass. I am still old school, I use a Unertl 32X Programmer 200 on my 40-XB, a Unertl 1.5" 20X on the Anschutz 1813, and a Balvar 24 on my 40-XR.

I wanted to go shoot today but other people had better uses for my time. Maybe I will be able to shoot later in the week.

Unertl... now that is classy. I am high tech, bit I have an appreciation for old school styling.

This is my prone rifle. It's a 40-XB with a Hart barrel, Kenyon trigger (talk about old school), it's bedded in a surplus CMP stock and is topped off with the Unertl 32X Programmer 200. My best prone 200 yard 5 shot group with this rifle measured 1.14" fired at the MRSA range in Great Falls Montana about 5 years ago. The ammo I used was SK Jagd Rifle Match.

junker.jpg

Now that is a beautiful setup. 1.14" is great... I don't know if you will be topping it any time soon! I think the best I have done is around 1.5" at 215 yds or some such.

On average, I think I am around 1 3/4 MOA or so at 200 yards with 5 shots. I haven't been shooting too much at 200 yards lately. I had such an awesome day at my last outing, it practically ruined shooting at 200 for me. I like to build on what I have, so when I achieve, it is a great feeling, but at the same time depressing to know that it is "as good as it gets."

Thank you for the compliments on my rifle.

I love to shoot long range smallbore, but there is no place to shoot anywhere near where I live now. The big smallbore game around here is 50 yard benchrest which doesn't do much for me.

If I can find time I am going to try to shoot the monthly matches on this forum.

ARA 50 yd benchrest is actually a fun game that does not resemble centerfire benchrest closely. For one, you are shooting for score, not group size, which makes it a little more practical than the groups game. Secondly, instead of looking for the perfect load, you are looking for the perfect lot of ammo. The difference there is that the bulk of your "load testing" is trigger time for rimfire. That is a lot more fun than sitting or standing at a reloading bench. Heck, testing lots of ammo is pretty fun for me.

Of course, I don't shoot rimfire benchrest, but I am saying it might be worth a shot. It is a good group of folks.

Personally, I like this F-Class style rimfire shooting. We actually have a rimfire match here locally that is F-class style and I still haven't made it out to compete because the trip to the range is an extra 30 minutes or so one way. I just can't get the time away.

I've tried a couple of ARA matches and just didn't catch the bug, that and the range is almost and hour away like your F-class match. It amazed me how much "wind" there was in an indoor match. Most benchrest shooters are decent people and willing to help new shooters. I really like looking at some of the bench guns, some really wild paint jobs, strange looking barrel contours and for some reason a right bolt left port just doesn't seem right on a .22.

Another kind of shooting they do here is benchrest shotgun. They take an old bolt action shotgun, install a "bull barrel", bed it in a McmIllan stock, top it off with a 36X Leupold, and bolt on a huge billett aluminum bipod. They try to shoot a red dot out of a paper target at I think 25 yards. The first time I went to one of their matches I had a headache for two days, I just couldn't comprehend the thought of spending that kind of money on a Mossberg or Marlin bolt action shotgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the compliments on my rifle.

I love to shoot long range smallbore, but there is no place to shoot anywhere near where I live now. The big smallbore game around here is 50 yard benchrest which doesn't do much for me.

If I can find time I am going to try to shoot the monthly matches on this forum. </div></div>

Yeah tell me about it haha. I just moved down here to FL in March. All of the clubs here only go to 100 yards (except for Manatee which is a long ways away from me). In the club I was a part of back in upstate NY I would shoot anywhere any position out to 300 Yards.

The comps are a blast. It's great to be able to shoot with guys from all across the nation. From other contries too. We have a large span of skill level here and everyone is very supportive. It's great if you get around to it.

The club I currently belong to only has a 100 yard range. The club over in Charlottesville has a 100 yard highpower range with no target pits. I shot a couple of service rifle matches there but it's not the same after coming here from Montana and shooting out to 600 yards with a service rifle.

The only competition I am involved with now is a 4 position smallbore league during the winter. I would like to shoot more (or at least some) but I am not in control of my time anymore.