• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Austrailian hockey player bit by venomous brown snake, goes for a run, dies

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Note the name of the town. It may explain a lot.

DARWIN, Australia - A field hockey player has died after being bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia's tropical north and proceeding to go for a 2-kilometre (1.2-mile) training run.

Fairfax Newspapers reported Friday that 26-year-old Karl Berry was cleaning up at Marrara Hockey Centre in Darwin, Northern Territory, on Tuesday when he picked up a snake, thinking it was a non-venomous python, and threw it into bushes.

Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints hockey team, was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and embarked on a run.

He later collapsed and Craig Garraway, St John's Ambulance operations manager, was quoted as saying Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived, but took up to 15 minutes to mention he had been bitten by a snake. He died Wednesday.

"He had gone for a two-kilometre run which pumped the venom around his system much faster," Garraway said.

Well the King Brown is prolly Australia's 3rd most leathal snake only betterd by the Taipan and No1 being the Death Adder, and the king brown can and does grow to around 8-10ft and their bite is way worse than a Cobra, I just dont know how someone could mistake it for a Python because the color and they can have a bad attitude,?? bit like us really,lol

John

That is awesome. "Gee, I'm bit by a snake, how can I possibly get the venom throughtout my system any faster, oh I know, let me go for a PT run". Yup, that'll do it.

It's not like those snakes aren't EVERYWHERE down there too. In fact, I think they have a law saying that you can't kill them but either way, if you live in a place where deadly snakes are EVERYWHERE and you get bit then go for a run and then wait 15 mins to mention that you got bit by a snake to the paramedics, then you're too fucking dumb for our already too shallow gene pool. The name of the town is just icing on the cake.

Will he get the "Darwin Award?"
    If I was ever bitten by a snake, I'd get checked, whether I thought it was poisonous or not. Snakes have a funny way of dying around me, and I have no intention of dying from one of them just because I didn't think it was poisonous...

I usually agree with KY Patriot, but I find no real harm in picking up a poisonous snake if you know how, and what you are doing. If you know how to properly pick up a snake you are far likelier to be killed by a stingray....what...come on....you know that was funny.

Stupid hurts...sometimes it is deadly.

I usually agree with KY Patriot, but I find no real harm in picking up a poisonous snake if you know how, and what you are doing. If you know how to properly pick up a snake you are far likelier to be killed by a stingray....what...come on....you know that was funny.

Stupid hurts...sometimes it is deadly.
    ...and probably if you know how to properly pick up a stingray...I've forgot the next

I used to use snakes dead and alive to scare coworkers and friends. Only screwed with the non-venomous ones though. At least in North America I know which ones are and are not poisonous.

I used to have a brother-in-law that was a slitherologist. He worked at the Vancouver Aquarium in the Reptile area. That, and he had his own menagerie at his house. As a teenager, I learned quick that there are a heck of a lot more snakes out there, in places where you'd least expect them, than one could imagine.

Respect them, sure. Like them...... only at a distance or as a belt.

Black on white, you're all-right. Black on red, you're dead.

About snake bites in North America, a huge % of venomous bites are alcohol related. And most are when "handling" the snake. A few are downright bad luck.

Oh, by the way, it is not the snakes getting drunk and searching out people either! :)