• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dddoo7

Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
Memphis, TN
Our laws here have recently changed allowing auto knives...so I am in the market for one. I am looking for opinions from actual users of auto knives. Which ones are good and which ones to stay away from.

I want one for everyday carry...so I don't want to spend $300. I am looking in the $100 range...unless there is nothing in that price range worth owning.

Nothing in that price range I'd care for personally. The bench made autos are some of my favorite for the money, but you're looking at closer to 200. Once you get into that 300 territory there are some really nice ones from other companies as well. Only think in that mid 150 range I can think of would be maybe the Gerber autos, but I don't have any experience with them myself.

I have a very well worn Microtech Ultratech I would send you to try out. Great knife but was edc for about 2 years. Been sharpened numerous times. I could send it to you and you can try it out. If you want to keep it send me $100.

I love my Benchmade Auto and having seen other lower quality blades from family and friends I would say its well worth the extra cost to get something that will last and is of high quality. We are not talking thousands of dollars more for a nice blade.

Last edited:
I have a rob dalton custom that I bought in june at the International blade show. Never carried or sharpened. Still a little slow opening from the anodizing. I'll take what I paid 225.00

Thanks for the advice and offers. I am still in the research phase of deciding what I want, so for now I am going to keep reading.

I like the benchmade knives and May spring for one of them (pun intended). Can anyone tell me the differences in steel used and which is more desirable?

I had a Benchmade auto I carried until it popped open in my pocket once too often. Ended up in the drawer and was one of the knives stolen during my last move. I'm looking for a good replacement, but it's going to have a safety. Maybe Benchmade has a new design. I like their knives and an Osborne 770 is my EDC now. Love that Axis lock.

Richard

I had a Benchmade auto I carried until it popped open in my pocket once too often. Ended up in the drawer and was one of the knives stolen during my last move. I'm looking for a good replacement, but it's going to have a safety. Maybe Benchmade has a new design. I like their knives and an Osborne 770 is my EDC now. Love that Axis lock.

Richard

My favorite EDC auto is the Benchmade AFO II. Sturdy, reliable, and it has a lock. I've carried it on patrol for the last 3 years and it's holding up very well. Very good point mentioning the lock, I like them on auto's and with a well designed lock system they are very quick to disable when taking out of your pocket.

Maybe Benchmade has a new design. I like their knives and an Osborne 770 is my EDC now. Love that Axis lock.

Benchmade 5000 everyday for the past 8 or 10 years. Never used the lock, never popped open unless I intended it to.

Check ArizonaCustomKnives.com for used Benchmade autos....I carry a Presidio 5000sbk also, hard to beat this knife as an edc. You can find used autos for around $110-$150.

Last edited:
My knife laws just changed also and I bought 5 or 6 new autos to try I can say I bought everything from Microtech (which is a great knife) all the way down to a Lightning otf. The best I found for EDC is the Protech TR-3 it is crazy fast locks up like a tank and isn't very heavy. I love this knife. I checked surrounding states and don't forget and carry to other states even though the laws changed where you live like it did here they still consider it illegal there.

I ended up with a benchmade mini entourage. It is h&k branded with a tanto blade. It was in my price range and about what I wanted. I also like the Amadeus auto, but it was more expensive. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our laws here have recently changed allowing auto knives...so I am in the market for one. I am looking for opinions from actual users of auto knives. Which ones are good and which ones to stay away from.

I want one for everyday carry...so I don't want to spend $300. I am looking in the $100 range...unless there is nothing in that price range worth owning.

I would love a Benchmade, but I have to balance my spending between a couple of rather expensive hobbies.

That said, I have a SOG Aegis assisted opener [drop point style] that I find extremely serviceable and reliable. Fits your budget too.

While they are not the least expensive option, I love my Benchmade; I carry a Presidio. I have not had any issues with it opening when it is not supposed to.

Am fond of Benchmade knives, first auto was a Pardue. Was everyday carry and heavy use, it didn't hold up, the hook in the spring that attaches to the blade weakened and straightened. Benchmade's lifetime warranty is worthless on auto knives for ordinary citizens like myself.

3550 Auto Product Detail

Still a Benchmade fan the next two are Auto Presidios, bigger, sturdier and a much better knife for heavy use. I like them well enough I gave one to my son for his last trip to the sandbox and since his return has nothing but praise for it.

5000 Auto Presidio® Product Detail

There is no need for the Adamas to be made into an automatic even though they did, the blade is heavy enough that even without using the Osborne it can be opened via momentum faster than autos.

Mr.

Last edited: