• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auto Trickler v3 has trouble trickling H4350

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
First off, I love my auto trickler, so this isn't a knock against them in any way. I have used the AT with 4 or 5 different powders and it seems that it has a little trouble trickling Hodgdon H4350 consistently, which obviously slows down the speed in which it can reliably finish a charge. I've played with the trickler angle and speed quite a bit and haven't been able to get the trickler to work any more smoothly with H4350. My question is, has anyone done anything to help the trickler to be more consistent on any troublesome powders? I was thinking about taking a file and opening up the hole in the trickler tube just a little bit more to see if I could get a more steady flow of kernels. Any thoughts for or against that option?

I would think a smaller hole would be more precise.
So the issue from what I can tell is that the kernels aren't dropping into the tube freely. They are getting hung up when dropping in and causing gaps in the trickler tubes conveyor belt action. The AT relies on a consistent flow of powder out of that tube so when you have gaps in the flow it slows it up and/or causes more overthrows. I could be wrong but this is how I understand it to work...

I've reloaded quite a few rounds with H4350 using the V3 Auto trickler and haven't had an issue. I did have to play around with it a good bit at first, but it is very consistent now. The key for me was setting the auto trickler at a negative angle so the powder has to flow slightly "uphill" in the tube. I think I settled somewhere around -1 degree.

I've reloaded quite a few rounds with H4350 using the V3 Auto trickler and haven't had an issue. I did have to play around with it a good bit at first, but it is very consistent now. The key for me was setting the auto trickler at a negative angle so the powder has to flow slightly "uphill" in the tube. I think I settled somewhere around -1 degree.
Maybe I haven't gone high enough on the trickler? I mean I thought I had tried up to around -1/2 degrees but maybe I should try more? It would cause more powder to have to fill the tube before pushing it out the end which should make it more consistent... Interesting thing to think about, thanks for the idea.

Here are my settings with no reducer and dropping h4350... bubble level helps and makes its repeatable for different powder types

Reactions: MCHOG
I should’ve mentioned as well mine is running Up hill just a hair as well. I can usually trickle .02-.04 consistently but just turning the tube by hand.

Reactions: david8989
Here are my settings with no reducer and dropping h4350... bubble level helps and makes its repeatable for different powder types

Wow, that video was overwhelming, lol! Great info and after seeing a vid of how far up you guys are raising your tubes I think that may be my issue. Thanks for taking the time!

I started with throwing 4350 and rl-16. Always set the angle to throw like the manual says, 1gr in 2seconds. Had 42gr drops that were probably in the 6 sec range and would only not throw to +-.02 about 2 times out of 50.

Then I loaded some the other day and it would over throw by 1gr 2 times out of 5. I read somewhere that the trickler tube needs taken out and cleaned where it rides on the brass bearings. Cleaned it all up and reassembled and worked perfect. The dirty bearings would cause vibrations (chatter) on the tube and cause it to throw erratic.

I started with throwing 4350 and rl-16. Always set the angle to throw like the manual says, 1gr in 2seconds. Had 42gr drops that were probably in the 6 sec range and would only not throw to +-.02 about 2 times out of 50.

Then I loaded some the other day and it would over throw by 1gr 2 times out of 5. I read somewhere that the trickler tube needs taken out and cleaned where it rides on the brass bearings. Cleaned it all up and reassembled and worked perfect. The dirty bearings would cause vibrations (chatter) on the tube and cause it to throw erratic.
Can I ask what your process for cleaning them was?

Absolutely agree. The discharge end of the tube on my setup is higher than the tube portion at the base. Meaning, the tube points up. I have zero issues. However, I do get variations of +/- .02 grains, which equates to +/- 1 kernel. I dump a little powder in a seperate cup before I start loading and will take a kernel from the cup and drop it into the charge to make it dead nuts on. Not necessary, but it's easy and unlike a lot of people, I actually "like" reloading...... :eek:

I use a reducer and have zero issues it's always within a kernel of the target.

You may need to use the slider on the back to slow it down a touch and set the dropper a little closer to the target.

Can I ask what your process for cleaning them was?

I used a piece of 3 or 4 ought steel wool and clp.

My trickler settings.
Adjust trickler flow to 1gr every 2 seconds, ramp down adjustment is almost to the slowest setting (1/4”-3/8” from slowest setting) and I throw 1.5-2 gr under target weight.
Have great results with this setup
Dave

Last edited:
Pc doesn't work. Tried it. Only android or apple
thank you....I am currently using an RCBS chargemaster to get close and then to check/verify with a gempro 250. The gempro seems to be quite sensitive to any room air current/ changes. Going by data from my V3 magneto I generally get 7-10 for SD, but it is fairly time consuming. I've loaded 100 and only had to calibrate the gempro once but other times It takes several calibrations to get 100 rounds loaded to the kernel.

Reactions: elfster1234
Never had issues with H4350 on my Autotrickler. Drops 43.3 gr in 7 seconds+/- .02 gr

Last edited:
If youre having issues with the fx120i v3 not consistently dropping powder, its most likely because you don't have the trickler pitched upwards