• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auto Trickler V3 - Is it worth it?

Zetlock

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
Looking hard at the Auto Trickler V3 combo with the scale. This will be my first automated trickler/scale so the short answer is duh it will save me HOURS...However, are there comparable products with a cheaper price tag that can be trusted for precision rifle shooting? I've just gotten my feet wet in the PRS competition world this year so I'd like something that is dependable. Just looking for feedback from those who either have experience with the auto trickler and/or those who have experience with another product that would be trustworthy for precision rifle. Thanks ahead of time!

tenor (4).gif

Sure do! But not opposed to saving money either if there's something dependable you would recommend! Trying to get a few hours of my life back and get away from the beam scale.

Sure do! But not opposed to saving money either if there's something dependable you would recommend! Trying to get a few hours of my life back and get away from the beam scale.

It's absolutely worth it esp if you find the rare deal on a used one. If your not in a hurry, preorder a v4.

Looking hard at the Auto Trickler V3 combo with the scale. This will be my first automated trickler/scale so the short answer is duh it will save me HOURS...However, are there comparable products with a cheaper price tag that can be trusted for precision rifle shooting? I've just gotten my feet wet in the PRS competition world this year so I'd like something that is dependable. Just looking for feedback from those who either have experience with the auto trickler and/or those who have experience with another product that would be trustworthy for precision rifle. Thanks ahead of time!
I was an early adopter and upgraded my way into a V3. My favorite piece of equipment. You couldn't get me to give it up. V4 looks really tempting, but my V3 does everything I need it to do/everything I ask of it.

I think so.
It’s crazy fast even if throwing 97 grains of N570.
Pretty easy to set up.
Seems pretty reliable.
Far less finicky than the Hornandy I used to use.

Sadly....nothing is close to the V3...except the newer V4. All the rest...and some of them are even approaching the V3 in terms or price....the rest simply can't match the accuracy and speed of the V3. I just don't think I could reload precision ammo without it. I know I couldn't shoot as good at long range...and I would have never won ELR matches without it.

Reactions: Zetlock
It was the best investment I’ve made in reloading. Started with a chargemaster, sold it and got a V3. Throwing powder isn’t as tedious as it used to be thats forsure. Very accuracy, very easy to use, and easy to switch powders around. You’ll be glad you got it.

Reactions: ChuckSwagger
Another thing to keep in mind as you ponder the thought of buying an A&D scale along with the AutoTrickler/AutoThrow is the fact that if you ever want to sell the combo you will get more return on your investment than you will with run of the mill equipment. Just a fact of life.

Reactions: Hegre
It is superb! I had a chargemaster light before and the increase in speed and accuracy is amazing.

100% the best investment on my bench! I’ve had chargemasters, Lyman 1200 and various other scales. Once I got the v3 my time cut in half, my accuracy in powder charges increased by a ton, and my down range performance improved! Not only that, I trust it. So If something is wrong I know it’s my entire load not liking the rifle or myself but not my scale

The only problem with the V-3 is the wait. Don’t know about the new V-4 . It is the best money I have spent in the reloading room.

I'll put my v3 up for cheap when the v4 hits the shelves later this year.

What kind of wait time are you experiencing?
I got my v3 in less than 2 months. Ordered it end of May and it got here last week. I would recommend that you buy the a419 lid for it. It’s nice to be able to look down and see what’s going on.

I'm on the list for a V4.

Per the MacDonald site \/ \/ \/
AutoTrickler V3 is our current model and will continue to be produced through August. At some point we will switch over production completely to V4. Once V3 is not available, the lead time for a new order will be over 6 months.

I was going for that V3 not so long ago until I had a look at the V4, I like the smaller footprint of the V4.

Waiting is one thing I am terrible at doing.

If I was paying myself...
Some da-da-damn powder spoon/dumper w/Beam Scale vs A&D FX-120i scale w/AutoTrickler V3?

Well hell, it doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure this solution set out.

Best to you.

Don't forget your AMP II. :cool:

I love my Autotrickler v3 w/ FX 120 so much I ordered a 2nd to speed up my reloading time. The only way it could get better is having a 3rd autotrickler running at the same time.

85 grains H1000 give or take 0.02 grains. A real time save.

I’m not going to pretend my Hornady scale is nearly that accurate but my Hornady hopper throws RL26 or Varget nearly the same each time with the occasional feeling it’s cutting some extruded powder and will be 1/2 grain higher or so. All I have to do is trickle 3 grains on Varget per .1 grain I’m off and it’s on the money.
I can dos this process, when it doesn’t over throw, in about 15-20 seconds. I’m just not seeing the time saving in the video. Am I missing something?

I love my V3. I use it with a Sartorius Entris. It is very accurate. If I was buying now, I think I’d wait for the V4. Adam makes a great product and I’m sure the V4 will be great.

I’m not going to pretend my Hornady scale is nearly that accurate but my Hornady hopper throws RL26 or Varget nearly the same each time with the occasional feeling it’s cutting some extruded powder and will be 1/2 grain higher or so. All I have to do is trickle 3 grains on Varget per .1 grain I’m off and it’s on the money.
I can dos this process, when it doesn’t over throw, in about 15-20 seconds. I’m just not seeing the time saving in the video. Am I missing something?

Autotricklers can throw a charge in about 6 seconds, and accuracy down to the kernal (~0.02gr). The Hornady, RCBS, and Frankford Arsenal setups don't come even close to that.

Reactions: Hegre and Marine52
Autotricklers can throw a charge in about 6 seconds, and accuracy down to the kernal (~0.02gr). The Hornady, RCBS, and Frankford Arsenal setups don't come even close to that.
That would be great. I was just watching the video posted and it was closer to 30 seconds is why I asked. 30 seconds wouldn’t save me time. My hopper is manual with a digital scale. I don’t have any experience with any of the autos. Just looking into it. I get single digit SDs and great groups so the accuracy factor is moot.

I was just watching the video posted and it was closer to 30 seconds is why I asked. 30 seconds wouldn’t save me time.

The video is showing it taking far longer than mine does. I have the next load running while I'm seating the bullet on the last one. By the time I drop the round in the case, the next charge is ready to go.

As I posted earlier, the V3 is very accurate. When combined with a scale like the FX-120, you can weigh accurately down to the kernel (+-0.02gr) and that equates to about +-1.0 FPS MV.

BUT you need to ask yourself if you need this level of precision. A Chargemaster or Lyman gen 6 scale will weigh accurately to +-0.1gr. That equates to about +-6FPS MV. At 500 yards with a 308win thats an increase in vertical dispersion of less than an inch and at 1000 yards about 4 inches. Is the cost of this system worth it? That can only be answered by you. If you shoot F-Class and you are OCD like me then the answer is yes.

I can load just as fast with my Lyman gen 6 scale as I do with my V3/Sartorius system BUT not as precisely. Actually, it may be faster with the Lyman because with the Autotrickler I have a pair of tweezers and add or subtract kernels to get
to my exact weight goal. But thats just my needless compulsive behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: db2000
I am interested in picking up a used V3/scale after one of you upgrades to V4!

Love mine. To speed things up even more, get 2 area 419 powder cups and sand one down so they are the exact same weight and rotate cups out while you load a case. (Thanks to F-Class John on YouTube for that idea)

Still plugging along with my V2 absolutely the best money I ever spent on reloading I'll upgrade to V4 when my name is called

Just loaded 90 rounds using a v3 and 550 in 30 minutes. My first real go at using a progressive to load precision ammo. Just amazed at the speed.

The Autotrickler V3 is worth the wait and the funds. I went from a 23 second throw on my Chargemaster to an 8 second throw on the V3. To some it might not seem like a big deal. Well, Load up 300 rounds in a sitting and do the math. It boils down to what is your time worth, accuracy of the throw, and consistency between each throw.

The V3 and the Giraud trimmer is the best bang for the buck for reloading.

When this posting popped up it inspired me to make a quick community based information feedback video.
From what I've gathered from all those who responded; the V3 series ATs going head to head dominate in speed and accuracy.
However, many people used other Manufacturers devices with comparable success by either chaining together multiple devices and modifying the thrower to be more efficient for their specific powder/charge.
They would also employ consolidated steps during the time the AT took to drop the specified charge. ( On slower devices)
Anyways, from what I've gathered if you have the funds and it fits your needs the V3 or upcoming V4 will not disappoint.

Quick link to the short video I made reaching out to gather information to the question originally posted here.

One thing to consider when it is said that a powder throw drops to, for example, 0.2 accuracy is ES of your powder charges. When a scale is guaranteed to throw to 0.2 gns it could be 0.2 less or 0.2 more with an ES of 0.4, at long or extended ranges this is significant. Additionally it has been my experience that 0.2 guarantee could be 0.17 or 0.25... I was running 2 Chargemaster 1500's and was completely unhappy. If you run your charges for example 0.5 gns off of pressure signs, your going to get quite a few heavy bolt lifts and swipe marks. The CK took 25-30 seconds to drop a charge to those levels of accuracy and when you also work 60-70 hours a week to fund your life...well for me the time savings of upgrading were a no brainer. I upgraded to the V3 about 10 mos ago and now throw the same charge in about 6-7 seconds enabling me to load 100 rds in 30-40 minutes...

yes money well spent for me, YMMV

ETA fwiw I have never had the V3 take 30 seconds to throw a charge not even when dropping as high as 91.6gns...

Definitely worth it if you load a lot.

Last edited:
Acard,

Loading to the level at which .5gr leads to heavy bolt or other excessive pressure signs one should absolutely invest in a device that can repeatedly drop exact amounts.
Doing it quickly is just a bonus. For the responses I've gathered, the V3 is fit for the task.
To compliment that I would match it with the highest resolution scale as well.
This said, much feedback also points to many satisfied shooters using say the two Chargemaster system.
Their validation for this is that it keeps them shooting in the low SD range.
They also perform other tasks while the CM processes the throw resulting in "make up" time for the slower process as compared to the V3.

Understanding your time is valuable and the need you have to ensure your safety you made a very valid statement.

I'm just expanding on it a bit as to not have newer reloaders feel they need to "buy big" to keep up with the Joneses.

Great post and thanks for letting me chime in and piggyback on it.
Vic

Reactions: ACard and Zetlock