• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Auto vs OU? Where to compromise on field shotgun?

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
I am yet again, hat in hand searching for firearms advice. This'll be a long one...

Purpose: I'd like get started in upland hunting using a shotgun. I plan to start on rabbit and try a few pheasant or grouse guided hunts. I am looking for a primarily field shotgun to fit this purpose.

I am left-eye dominant and shoot left-handed. I lack range of motion in my left-wrist, straighter stocks are difficult to grip properly, whereas more vertical pistol-grip styles are easier.

I'll likely do some clay shooting in spring/summer, but am focusing on pistol and rifle shooting.

TL;DR: I've put my main questions below in case you don't want to read my novel.

What I'm trying to figure out is:
1. I really wanted an O/U originally without spending Beretta/Browning money. Roll the dice on the best fitting gun (Mossberg) with the worst trigger and questionable Khan manufacturing? Or get the CZ, shoot it long for awhile until I can get it fit?

2. If the cost and hassle of fitting a budget O/U isn't worth it, and I go auto, is it worth getting a left-handed gun? Shooting AR left doesn't bother me, but maybe the ejection path of shot shells is different? Is there a worry of shit flying back into the eyes?

3. Do Hide shotgunners see any clear winners between an Affinity 3, M2 or A300 Ultima? Or better suggestions under $1500?
---
Gun: Originally I wanted an O/U at or below the $1500 mark, 20 ga, 28" barrels. Candidates: Franchi Instinct L, Mossberg Gold Reserve, CZ Drake or Redhead Premier.

I spent about 45 minutes with an experienced shotgunner at a local, well-known shop, and his take on fit was that due to my stature, shoulder width, and general lean frame, I should be able to comfortably shoot shotguns with a neutral cast or slightly cast for a right handed shooter.

Mossberg Gold Reserve:
Pros: Shortest LOP of the OUs, 14", this gun fit me well in LOP, and cheek height, and was the easiest to mount and point. External chokes included. The shop guy said I could maybe adjust it for drop at heel but that it's so close he wouldn't spend the money until I put several hundred rounds through it.

Cons: Trigger is quite stiff, probably over 7 lbs and I've seen reviews with trigger scales showing the same. Made by Khan Arms, reputation seems pretty spotty.

Franchi Instinct L:
Pros: Good reputation, pointed and balanced well, much better trigger than Mossberg. Comb same as Mossberg. Less drop than Mossberg.

Cons: At 14.25" - 14 3/8" LOP mounting the gun and getting a consistent eye-barrel alignment was more difficult, less consistent than Mossberg. Prince of Wales grip is difficult to properly grip.

CZ Drake/Redhead:
Pros: Made in Turkey, allegedly Huglo guns are better than Khan. Better trigger than Mossberg, less good than Franchi. Same drop at heel as Mossberg

Cons: Comb is a touch high compared to Franchi, Mossberg. Longest LOP at 14.5" made mounting difficult and inconsistent.

Initially I was set on the Mossberg Gold Reserve as it seemed to fit and point the best, but the trigger gave me second thoughts and after browsing several forums and reading reviews, a lot of people recommended staying away from the Khan guns, and several mentioned defects with their guns, with some needing returned to Mossberg.

I really wanted to love the Franchi but it's quite difficult to grip properly and they don't offer a more vertical pistol grip, plus it's a touch long.

The CZ is definitely too long but seems the better of the Turkish guns.

I could get it fit, but I don't know how much value there is in spending $400 to fit a $900 gun, plus I don't know anyone to do it or how long it would take.

This led me to looking at 20 ga, 26" autos: Franchi Affinity 3, Benelli M2, Beretta A300.

Affinity 3:
Pros: LIGHT, points fast and well, very easy to mount, comfortable grip. Good trigger. LOP is 14 3/8" yet gave me no issues with mounting. Good comb height. Drop at heel is shim adjustable.
Available left hand but only on base model. Price attractive at $850 for black synthetic, $950 for walnut.

Cons: LOP only adjustable via recoil pad change, to 14". Lefty only available in basic bitch black synthetic.

Benelli M2: Felt very, very similar to the Affinity. Foreend is a bit slimmer, distance to trigger is slightly less. Drop at heel is shim adjustable.

Cons: LOP only adjustable via recoil pad change, to 14". More expensive than Affinity but seems like essentially the same gun.

Beretta A300:
Pros: Felt similar to the other 2, except it didn't seem to mount or point as quickly/easily (weight?). But overall felt good. LOP and drop both shim adjustable, LOP in 1/4" increments.

Cons: Heavy, gas instead of inertia, several reviews warning of mechanical malfunctions. Longer barrel for a woods gun.

To be honest, all the autos I handled (like 6) felt pretty generic in how they mounted and handled, at least statically. The O/U guns each felt pretty different from each other, and the generally longer LOP on the autos did not bother me as much as on the O/US, I don't know why.

What I'm trying to figure out is:
1. I really wanted an O/U originally without spending Beretta/Browning money. Roll the dice on the best fitting gun (Mossberg) with the worst trigger and questionable Khan manufacturing? Or get the CZ, shoot it long for awhile until I can get it fit?

2. If the cost and hassle of fitting a budget O/U isn't worth it, and I go auto, is it worth getting a left-handed gun? Shooting AR left doesn't bother me, but maybe the ejection path of shot shells is different? Is there a worry of shit flying back into the eyes?

3. Do Hide shotgunners see any clear winners between an Affinity 3, M2 or A300 Ultima? Or better suggestions under $1500?

What a headache this turned into, lol.

Just spend the money and buy a nice O/U, it’s a worthwhile investment and the reality is that if you can afford a $1500 shotgun you can afford a $2000 shotgun which is the price point you can get into a Beretta for.

I’ve owned a bunch of both and nothing swings, points, and shoots like good O/U.

I would not buy Turkish shotgun of any sort under any circumstances. Junk.

If the budget absolutely has to stay under $1500 and it must be new then a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga is what I’d buy.

I would basically agree with the above advice. $1500 is too much to spend on an ok shotgun

I would try to get into a beretta O/U or Benelli. Also nothing wrong with a well cared for used gun imho.

If you want to get something cheap to use for a year maybe consider a pump or rem 1187/1100.

My buddy who is a lefty says shooting a right handed gun is very visually distracting when the hull crosses in front of your face.

Reactions: 748rpilot
Just spend the money and buy a nice O/U, it’s a worthwhile investment and the reality is that if you can afford a $1500 shotgun you can afford a $2000 shotgun which is the price point you can get into a Beretta for.

I’ve owned a bunch of both and nothing swings, points, and shoots like good O/U.

What he said….!!
If the budget absolutely has to stay under $1500 and it must be new then a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga is what I’d buy.

I used to have one of the CZ Redheads. Never had anything mechanical issues, always functioned like it was supposed to. I thought it was a really good shotgun for the price. I was in a similar boat with getting it fitted, It was not worth it to me. I ran across a great deal on a lefty Blaser F3 and ended up selling the CZ.

I don’t have a lot of rounds through my Affinity 3 but I absolutely love it. Primarily a turkey gun, but use it on rabbit and pheasant. Currently it’s sporting a rmr and a code black turkey choke. With Apex #9 TSS this thing hammers. Even with factory chokes it’s awesome. Was hoping to run it on annual all day pheasant trip this year and last but both got cancelled. I know you didn’t post interest with turkey but I was just giving you some info. Hopefully can get some goose/duck hunts with it in this year. I have the 26” barrel model fyi. The real tight pattern is at 25 the side by side are two shots at 50. I adjusted right in between the shots. Love love love it. I want one in 20 gauge as well

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpeg
    IMG_3518.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3225.jpeg
    IMG_3225.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

I definitely see the logic in that. Partly why I wanted to cap at $1500, because any more than that and a 686 is a hop, skip and a jump away.

Gun doesn't have to be new, necessarily, it's more about quickly purchasable vs spending a few weeks waiting for a GunBroker deal. I'll check out the Benelli Monte, too.
I would basically agree with the above advice. $1500 is too much to spend on an ok shotgun

I would try to get into a beretta O/U or Benelli. Also nothing wrong with a well cared for used gun imho.

If you want to get something cheap to use for a year maybe consider a pump or rem 1187/1100.

My buddy who is a lefty says shooting a right handed gun is very visually distracting when the hull crosses in front of your face.
An inexpensive gun for a year could be a good idea; buy now, shoot now, and if next year I decide I'm onboard with birding and clays, splash on a good O/U.

Good info from your buddy, hull ejecting across your face seems like a good way to miss a follow up and maybe develop a flinch. I think I'll go with a true lefty if I buy a pump/auto.

EuroOptic has lefty Affinity 3 for $749, tempting...

I like my CZ redhead premier all terrain. I ain’t no shotgun fanatic or collector, but it has killed birds and works for me. I like the cerakote finish as well, makes it seem more durable for the swamps and fields it will be used in.

I’m sure others will be along to tell me to piss off with my cheap shotgun soon enough though.

I definitely see the logic in that. Partly why I wanted to cap at $1500, because any more than that and a 686 is a hop, skip and a jump away.

Gun doesn't have to be new, necessarily, it's more about quickly purchasable vs spending a few weeks waiting for a GunBroker deal. I'll check out the Benelli Monte, too.

You could buy the one I have listed in the classifieds for an huge savings and have it in a few days 😉

For upland game you are going to want something light, fast, and that is well balanced/points well. Those things are not as important for something like a turkey/goose gun, but for quicker upland birds it is. Usually the best pointing/balanced guns are O/U but of course you pay for that in recoil. Trigger weight is really a non-issue in shotguns, once birds are up and adrenaline goes, you'll never notice the weight of the trigger. A good gunsmith should be able to shorten a stock for you for WAY less than $400+. 20ga is a great idea for upland. You definitely want a lefty if you go auto, not that you can't run a non-lefty, but it's annoying. For $500 a good shotgun gunsmith can put on an adjustable butt pad and install an adjustable cheek piece.

That said keep in mind that a good upland gun, is not going to be a great turkey/duck/trap gun. So definitely make sure what your highest priority is and accept that it will be a compromise for other uses.

Fit and balance are more important than all the other stuff, so spend money there first.

Also look into youth or "compact" options since you want a shorter LOP. Many popular shotguns options now offer versions with adjustable LOP that make them good choices for those needing a shorter LOP. CZ redhead reduced, Browning Micro Citori O/U and Micro Midas Autos, Affinity 3, SX4, Beretta A400, etc. It's easy/cheap to add length to a stock, harder and more expensive to remove it.

I recently picked up a browning cynergy wicked wing and it is quickly becoming my favorite shotgun. Length of pull and comb height are adjustable and 3 1/2” chambers on an O/U is just cool.

I like my CZ redhead premier all terrain. I ain’t no shotgun fanatic or collector, but it has killed birds and works for me. I like the cerakote finish as well, makes it seem more durable for the swamps and fields it will be used in.

I’m sure others will be along to tell me to piss off with my cheap shotgun soon enough though.
I have a stoeger condour o/u in 20 gauge and it’s put many pricey o/u and semi’s to shame on pheasant trips. Although I do think I had something to do with that as well.

I did the same dance a couple years ago, couldn’t find an over under for under 4500 that really felt like I wanted it. Bought a used benelli super sport performance center for 2200 and loved it. Call field sport in traverse city mi. All they deal with is wing shooting guns.
Still saving up for a o/u still haven’t found one just right yet.

FYI you a pick up used ruger label for in the 1500 range. Great guns, American made, last forever,

Nah CZ makes good stuff, sometimes you don’t gotta spend a lot and you end up paying for a name….the Franchi Affinity vs Benelli M2 is the prime example of this

Can't go wrong with Beretta.

I have a Weatherby Orion and a Lanber (now out of business) for clays, and the occasional nice weather pheasant hunt.

I have a Benelli super nova for the wet and snow, because I don't give 1 single fuck about it.

First shotgun was an 870 20ga. Still have it, rarely shoot it.

Beretta A400 for when I feel like a nice semi. Makes a great goose gun when I'm throwing 3.5" magnum loads of BB's into the sky.

They're a trap like everything else. One can do all the jobs, but it's just nicer if you have 2, or 3, or maybe 10....

And trigger pull is of zero consequence. You'll never feel it. Birds are quick, and you have zero time to think, just press the trigger straight back when needed.

Just wait until you have some bird dogs (I recommend a pointer, just a hell of a lot of fun) and are chasing pheasants at every opportunity.

+1 on Beretta. Doesn't matter which model o/u. Mechanically, they're the same. Disagree with the above post
"All Turkish shotguns are junk" some are, a few are VERY nice. Kimber made some over there that are Mechanically works of art. Don't get overly wrapped around the axle on fit. Wear what you'd wear hunting when throwing it up. Cast can be adjusted. Another huge advantage to an O/U or SxS is field use. If you get into upland hunting, you'll be crossing fences, resting dogs, taking breaks. Cracking open a double is the safest way to do that. I'm about as deep down the rabbit hole with shotguns as you can get. One shotgun won't be the the best at everything. But, IF I could only have one, I'd get a Beretta. They've been doing it right for a VERY long time. You, your children, and your grandchildren won't wear it out. Also, unlike Rifles, it can be a wise investment appreciation wise.

Last edited:
+1 on Beretta. Doesn't matter which model o/u. Mechanically, they're the same. Disagree with the above post
"All Turkish shotguns are junk" some are, a few are VERY nice. Kimber made some over there that are Mechanically works of art. Don't get overly wrapped around the axle on fit. Wear what you'd wear hunting when throwing it up. Cast can be adjusted. Another huge advantage to an O/U or SxS is field use. If you get into upland hunting, you'll be crossing fences, resting dogs, taking breaks. Cracking open a double is the safest way to do that. I'm about as deep down the rabbit hole with shotguns as you can get. One shotgun won't be the the best at everything. But, IF I could only have one, I'd get a Beretta. They've been doing it right for a VERY long time. You, your children, and your grandchildren won't wear it out. Also, unlike Rifles, it can be a wise investment appreciation wise.
The Beretta does call my name :/ the Vittoria seemed to fit nicely and a bunch of folks over on TrapShooting admitted to shooting lady's guns, so I don't feel as bad 😂

My problem is, it's a lot of cash to throw down on something I don't know anything about, have no idea if I'll be good at, or how seriously I'll end up taking it. I do tend to go whole hog once I get in to something, but I don't know if that's going to be rifle, pistol or shotgun.

I'm all spun up worrying about fit. I see a lot of advice how fit depends on not only physical structure but also your shooting style --well I don't have a style. Maybe I just pick a gun I like and seems to feel good and build a style around it.

Mostly I just want to hunt upland game and I'm fine compromising on waterfowl, turkey and sporting. I can borrow an 870 Express if I need to hunt turkey.

The Khan-made Mossberg kind of worries me, as it's just about $1000 and I can get a CZ Drake for under $700, with the CZ/Huglo guns having better reputation.

I suppose I need to decide if I need a tool to hunt with (Affinity 3) or a gun I enjoy that I can hunt with.

Regarding fit, I've noticed that I'm more sensitive to LOP when I mount left-handed, than when I mount right-handed. A given gun can feel too long, and give more distance between my nose and thumb when mounted left, but on right, that distance closes up.

My left wrist lacks in ulnar deviation (moving the pinky towards your forearm) and a little bit in wrist extension. Could this be causing a gun that feel good on the right, long on the left?

I tend to think so just looking at the angles but it's a lot to reason about when you start including stance, neck length etc.

The Beretta does call my name :/ the Vittoria seemed to fit nicely and a bunch of folks over on TrapShooting admitted to shooting lady's guns, so I don't feel as bad 😂

My problem is, it's a lot of cash to throw down on something I don't know anything about, have no idea if I'll be good at, or how seriously I'll end up taking it. I do tend to go whole hog once I get in to something, but I don't know if that's going to be rifle, pistol or shotgun.

I'm all spun up worrying about fit. I see a lot of advice how fit depends on not only physical structure but also your shooting style --well I don't have a style. Maybe I just pick a gun I like and seems to feel good and build a style around it.

Mostly I just want to hunt upland game and I'm fine compromising on waterfowl, turkey and sporting. I can borrow an 870 Express if I need to hunt turkey.

The Khan-made Mossberg kind of worries me, as it's just about $1000 and I can get a CZ Drake for under $700, with the CZ/Huglo guns having better reputation.

I suppose I need to decide if I need a tool to hunt with (Affinity 3) or a gun I enjoy that I can hunt with.
Ok, let's see if I can offer any value to this convo.

I agree....CZ are pretty good guns for the money...but the money is less and so is the quality. There are no free rides in this.

I personally also highly recommend a 68x series Beretta. They are the Timex watches of OU shotguns and will last you a lifetime with reasonable care. And they will hold value. A used CZ, no and IMO would be hard to sell at any price.

You can look at Franchi's but they aren't really much cheaper (if at all). Same with Browning Citori's. My personal preference is for Beretta and Browning actions (to me) sit too high. But they are also reliable guns, have a fan base, and can be resold.

As for semi-autos for upland bird hunting....eh, there are very few people I'll hunt quail (for example) with them shooting an auto.
First and of least importance is it will be kicking hulls out on the ground and I absolutely and utterly hate seeing that on a beautiful quail plantation (and yes, you will most likely not find and pick up every hull).

Much more important is I can't look and see at a glance that their gun is safe. Guys I hunt with, we don't close the action until dogs are on point and we are in position. When we are walking, we have two in the chambers, action open, and our thumbs over the hulls. If birds flush unexpectedly, we just close up and shoot. No problem. To me, they are far safer and I never trust a safety on a gun.

You want to upland bird hunt on a budget....eh, I'm not really sure that's a real thing. Yeah, you can buy any shotgun, go to a "preserve" where they spin the birds and plant them and then take you to them...but that's the very lowest end of upland hunting IMO.

As for fit....look, its no big deal to have a stock cut down a bit and have a new recoil pad ground to fit. I recently bought a Krieghoff K-20 (and no, don't look at K guns...haha) and had 1/2 inch taken off of the LOP. I'm not a big guy.

Then there is adjustable combs...the part of the stock rifle shooters often refer to as a cheek piece (but its properly the comb). It absolutely needs to put your "on" eye (the eye on the side you mount the gun) in the right place. With a shotgun, you eye is the rear sight. Too low, you can't see over the receiver (the action). Too high and the gun will shoot high. Left/right need to be correct to get your eye over the rib. So, many people shoot ill fitting shotguns, roll their head over to get behind the rib, etc. But experienced shooters who know a bit, either get a shotgun with an adjustable comb or have a stock smith cut the comb and install an adjustable kit. Have it done when having LOP adjusted (if you even need that). Its a very common stock modification.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the Benelli 828U. I know it‘s a bit more than what you want to spend, but you could get very close to that buying a used one on gunbroker if you are not in a hurry. They have an innovative way to fit a shotgun to each shooter that negates the issues you’ve stated above and they come in a left hand version.

When we are walking, we have two in the chambers, action open, and our thumbs over the hulls.
Why don’t other shotgun manufacturers do like CZ did and put magnets in the ejectors? I can turn my CZ o/u any directions and the shells stay in place.

Serious question so please go easy on me.

A lot of sporting clay ranges will have access to someone who can bend the stock to fit or adjust the cast, and adjust the length. Also, as an example, my first shotgun was a Silver Pigeon I bought new, paid retail $1250, still have it. Good investment? My wife has her Dads Belgium Browning lightning. He bought it new for $350ish at Marshall Fields. Good investment? Point is, you won't really get hurt financially if you switch gears buying a Beretta, Browning (if it fits, never fit me). Buy or build a new high end custom rifle? Lose money.
Good luck and have fun.

I will say, and don’t burn me down for this, DeathB4Dismount does know shotguns pretty well. He may be worth pinging on this subject

O/U are less prone to failures/ malfunctions.
I've been on a few guided pheasant hunts and they like if you are using a break action so they can see the gun is safe at a glance.

If I was going to own one shotgun it would be a 12 ga over under.
That being said I shoot an A400 Extreme for water fowl, a Beretta 694 Sporting for clays and a cheapo Canuck 20 Gauge for pheasants.

Reactions: Baron23
Why don’t other shotgun manufacturers do like CZ did and put magnets in the ejectors? I can turn my CZ o/u any directions and the shells stay in place.

Serious question so please go easy on me.
Dunno. Many shotguns can have ejectors turned into extractors but I don’t really see the point. I have quail hunted for many years with a 20 ga (on 12 ga frame) Beretta 682 and if you don’t just jam it open, the shells don’t just fly out. Same with the K-20 I’ve been using the last few years.

Same with my K-80 and Kolar (now sold) skeet guns. We don’t just pop them open and eject the shells onto the ground.

Just cover the open chambers with you off hand, right?

Reactions: Taylorbok
O/U are less prone to failures/ malfunctions.
I've been on a few guided pheasant hunts and they like if you are using a break action so they can see the gun is safe at a glance.

If I was going to own one shotgun it would be a 12 ga over under.
That being said I shoot an A400 Extreme for water fowl, a Beretta 694 Sporting for clays and a cheapo Canuck 20 Gauge for pheasants.
Now you bring up a good point…water fowl is semi-auto Country for me too though a good friend would bring out his Win Mod 26 SxS to the goose pit.

Dunno. Many shotguns can have ejectors turned into extractors but I don’t really see the point. I have quail hunted for many years with a 20 ga (on 12 ga frame) Beretta 682 and if you don’t just jam it open, the shells don’t just fly out. Same with the K-20 I’ve been using the last few years.

Same with my K-80 and Kolar (now sold) skeet guns. We don’t just pop them open and eject the shells onto the ground.

Just cover the open chambers with you off hand, right?
The magnets make it where you can open the breach and hold the gun upside down without the shells falling out. Makes it possible to load while barrels are pointed up like sitting in a duck blind. Had nothing to do with the shells ejecting when you crack it. Just easier to not have to worry about covering the breach while you are walking or navigating an obstacle.

Wrangling shells is easy, I just open it where they hit my midsection and they fall to my feet.

The older Japan-made Weatherby Orion is pretty darn good and durable (so other forums say). I own a 20ga…given to me by my father many years ago. Fits me very well. I’m not a clay shooter, so there’s that.

The Beretta 686/687 are awfully nice, as you know. I’ve fondled the field model in the gun store, and it felt very similar to my Orion.

My dad loves his auto Benelli’s, but I hate them. To me, they feel…strange.

Last edited:
FYI you a pick up used ruger label for in the 1500 range. Great guns, American made, last forever, and they kick like a mule.
fixed it for you.

Great guns though as you stated. I passed on a used all weather red label one time. Wish I hadn't. One shop sort of local to me has two NIB 12ga red labels in his used rack right now.

I've kind of been on the O/U hunt lately myself. Currently I've got an FNH SC-1. Bought it when I was all into skeet. Haven't shot it in about 5 years until the other day. Drug it out and busted some clays in the back yard.

Recent dove hunt using a friend's 20ga O/U has got me wanting more of a field gun. Probably going to unload the FN. I'm leaning browning 725 or Beretta 686. Might do a used browning 625 if I find what I'm looking for.

The FN.
20231001_172239.jpg

• Love
After shooting an o/u for years, going to an auto loader feels like driving with a governor. An o/u goes bang bang. An auto goes bang… action cycling… … … bang. Yes, you get 1 more round for migratory birds and a whole magazine for non-migratory animals. But, a quality o/u just feels… better. If you’re going to buy one, spend- at least- browning/beretta money.

Another vote here for the Beretta, but mine is a 1970’s BL-2 in 12 gauge. It and the 20 gauge BL-3 are my favorite Upland shotguns. Closely followed by a 20g CZ Ringneck (Hulu) and a 20g Rossi Overlander Coach Gun <gasp!>. If you watch, I have seen used BL series going for less than a grand.
The Red Label is a good shotgun, but a bit heavier in weight than the Berettas.

Reactions: FWoo45
I deeply enjoy the CZ reaper magnum. its mostly designed as a turkey gun but has done fine for clays and other game. Very hard to go wrong with a beretta or benelli though, they just keep on trucking and are fantastically built.

As a guy that just bought two new autos, get the O/U. I'm personally more of a SxS guy for upland birds, but that's only because I think they are classier and I appreciate the nostalgia, not better.

• Love
Reactions: Modoc
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the Benelli 828U. I know it‘s a bit more than what you want to spend, but you could get very close to that buying a used one on gunbroker if you are not in a hurry. They have an innovative way to fit a shotgun to each shooter that negates the issues you’ve stated above and they come in a left hand version.
Ah no. Used basic models are going to run $2200. They use standard Benelli shims, which are helpful dont fix fit. The buttpad sucks ass and the lightweight alloy frame adds to kick. The carbon fiber sight rail has a tendency to bend or move. The 828u in 20 gauge with 24" or 26" barrels make a decent upland game gun because of the ~5.5lb weight. But I wouldn't recommend it over the Beretta 686 or Browning Citori or similar.

I been using a Beretta A 400 Upland in 20 for some time now. It comes with shims to cast the stock either right or left, and up and down. I also have a Silver pigeon, a Benelli Ethos, and an older Browning A-5, ...the A400 is my favorite.

Thought I'd provide an update since so many folks were so helpful, and I appreciate all the responses I got.

I ended up with an 870 Fieldmaster 20ga 26", which, I know wasn't on the table originally but it checked a lot of boxes. I realized with a lot of the guns I was looking at, I couldn't easily or quickly get my finger to the trigger due to my wrist, and had to substantially alter my grip. In colder weather, my hand gets even stiffer.

I figured I can at least put a pistol grip style stock on the pump gun and use it that way for small game & coyote, if need be. With the SA options, I can't do this. For right now, the shorter grip means I can get on it low and also mount the trigger, while still getting a mostly correct hold on it.

I cleaned it Saturday, went trap shooting Sunday to try it out. Since I'd never shot trap before, they sent me out with a RO, a really nice older lady, who gave me some helpful pointers, and I was hitting clays within a few shots.

After a box with the RO, I got put on a two man squad with an older country dude, who was really cool. He was quick on the gun, and I think that helped me not over think things. I think I went about 19/25 on my first round, which was cool.

Gun performed well, I did my best, and Trap is really fun! I'll be doing more of it, and if I can keep making progress on my wrist, I can see a 686/687 in my future.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.