• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Automatic Knives: Does The Hide Have Any Favorites?

997/2man

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Okeefukindokie, FL
Recently picked up a Benchmade 3550 in black, cool little knife. Honestly, not really expensive, loose it, no big deal, here's my question: Who makes higher end quality automatics? I've bought a couple of Randalls, I know that a quality knife costs.

A shitty knife can cost you more.

Are the out the front designs any good?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking a couple of cheap work/beaters and then a couple higher end, quality made automatics.

And, after buying rifle/scope combos, knives are peanuts!

Thanks in advance.

The Hide has cost me thousands...

I like my ProTech Rockeye Auto....inexpensive too. I'm going to pick up one of their TR-4's when I can find a black on black plain edge version.

Guys, thanks, gives me a starting point. I looked at a couple on GB already, now I can search suggested makers.

Handy little blades, for sure.

I took the belt clip off of my Benchmade, can't believe how thin the knife is without it. You don't even feel it in your pocket. I'll prob. put it back on, but "Wow", very thin.

My favorite auto is the Benchmade AFO II, great knife and it opens quickly with a very authoritative snap might I add.

+1 for the AFO 2. I have several Benchmade autos....presidio is a good one too

Gerber 06 Automatic Tanto blade S30V half serrated. Also made in the USA. It's a big knife, but I love it. Spring isn't hard core either, so it doesn't jump out of your hand.

+1 for the AFO 2. I have several Benchmade autos....presidio is a good one too

Just ordered one from Red's in ID.

I'm eyeballing the Microtechs otfs too. They look like needles.

And yeah, I do like the tanto shape. That's on the list.

Guys, thanks for the help, very cool blades.

I had an Infidel....it was "very cool" . But after having it for a year I sold it...not much good for anything. I feel the best OTF is the Sandshark, but good luck finding one. Also if it wasn't auto you were looking for I'd say invest in a Strider SMF.

Last edited:
I have four BenchMade automatics but prefer to carry a ZT350 Kershaw. The Kershaw is much more reliable under harsh conditions. If you're looking for a custom, check out Butch Valloton Valknives.com. He's been making autos for a long time and has some novel designs.

Just when Tennessee is getting their head out of their ass on automatic knives, I'm moving to Virginia where autos are also illegal for carry. Glock and Emerson Wave it is...

I live in VA redmanss, and carry an auto all day everyday. Yes it is "illegal", but if you aren't doing anything wrong why would a cop ever search you? My feeling on this is that the law is in place so if you are caught breaking the law it is just something else they can charge you with. I have friends that are LEOs and they state that if you were already in "trouble" that is when they charge you with carrying an auto knife.

I've never had anyone break down my AR at the range to see if I have a happy kit inside; doesn't mean I'm going to do that one either. I'd rather not explain to my employer why I got a ticket or worse on a weapons charge, bringing clearances into question when there is a bumper crop of overseas security job seekers, even if it is just a class 4 misdemeanor. I always say "I wake up every morning and try to figure out how to go one more day without myself or any of my men getting arrested, fired, or any extra holes in them". The flip side of the coin is if I (or you) ever do have cause to use it in a self defense situation, with litigation happy families of thug "victims" of self defense, would likely open up more court time than anyone cares to deal with aside from the attorneys getting paid to be there.

It's all good though, an Emerson Wave is faster out the pocket than any auto knife anyhow. I'm digging the new Emerson/ZT offering with the M390 steel, just not the tanto blade so much.

Emerson builds a solid knife.... and as Redmanss noted, Glock and Emerson are excellent carry companions.

Last edited:
Not the newest fanciest most expensive kid on the block but my EDC favorite is an older Benchmade Mini-Auto Stryker 9530. By far the knife that sees more use than any other knife in my collection.

benchmade_zpsda4fea07.jpg

I own a Microtech Makora II, Kershaw Emerson auto-Commander, and a Benchmade 6150. While Microtech makes a fine OTF, their business ethics/practices are questionable (they've knocked off other manufacturer's designs on their side openers/manual product lines, in addition to burning their relationships with custom knifemakers in the past)

I live in VA redmanss, and carry an auto all day everyday. Yes it is "illegal", but if you aren't doing anything wrong why would a cop ever search you? My feeling on this is that the law is in place so if you are caught breaking the law it is just something else they can charge you with. I have friends that are LEOs and they state that if you were already in "trouble" that is when they charge you with carrying an auto knife.

Its not worth the risk of charges IMHO.

I have a CHL and can pack a couple handguns in Ohio but its illegal to carry a one handed knife like an auto, butterfly , gravity knife, etc.
I miss carrying my Balisong Tanto but went back to a Benchmade folder after I got some strange looks once when I used it to cut tie down rope at the local big box store.

I have a Microtech Ultratech for EDC. I'm amazed at how well it holds an edge and how freaking sharp it is. The knife my Microtech replaced is the Rob Dalton Waco. The Waco is just a supremely solid knife. It was my EDC for the last 12+ years and it handled everything I threw at her.

I have two actual switchblade knives. An SOG and a Pro-Tech. Several assisted opening knives. There is a difference. The problem in NM is that they (true switchblades) are illegal to even own. At least according to state law.

I keep waiting for them to get around NM. I've been on their mailing list for a long time. At one time I think I was a member for year. I can remember when the organization was just one guy and within no time they were getting outdated legislation reversed. they do good work.

I like lone wolf. no obvious buttons. the scales slide to actuate the opening. pretty hard to tell its an auto.

Benchmade AFO II and Microtech HALO (1997 vintage) are the only 2 I own... Microtech rules for the "chicks dig it" factor.

I love my Benchmade 3350! I also have the 3300 & 8600 but I'm thinking I want to sell those two to fund some scuba gear. If I had the money to burn right now I would get the AFO II in a heartbeat.

I also have the Benchmade Mel Pardue designed 3550 auto.

Great knife, over five years old now. High quality 154CM steel, pretty much bullet proof. Carry it every day without fail. Most I have ever had to do is a drop a little light oil on the hinge. It still snaps out hard like it was born yesterday.

Auto knives are illegal here in occupied CO. Emerson karambit is my EDC for that reason. If you learn how to use it it deploys as fast or faster than an auto.

Not sure these are made anymore as I don't see it on the website and Knifecenter.com says they are discontinued. Its a Zero tolerance 0650ST. Carried it on duty for a ton of years. I had to put it away a few years ago when I retired because it was no longer legal for me to carry it. However, Texas just legalized automatics and switchblades so its good to go now.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of my favorite carry blades. Have others including a couple of issued Benchmades and some others collected over the years.

Attachments

• Arch's  2010 105.jpg
    Arch's 2010 105.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25