• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automatic wind direction calculation

hondo1312

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Wichita, KS
Do any of the current kestrels/ballistic calculators have a feature that would allow the user to input the direction the wind is coming from, and then input the direction to the target(s), and have the wind direction automatically calculated:

Example:

wind direction: 225 degrees
target 1: 270 degrees
target 2: 0 degrees
target 3: 90 degrees

The ballistic calculator could then give me firing solutions with the wind from 315 degrees or 10:30 (relative to target 1), 225 degrees or 7:30 (relative to target 2), and 135 degrees or 4:30 (relative to target 3).

If the 4DOF app does it, I haven't figured out how, and I can't remember if my Kestrel 4500AB did it or not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The only one I know of is the DTR ballistics app- it is provided free with the purchase of a DTR reticled Mk 5 leupold

Attachments

• AF52EB46-F85E-4B87-9E64-C771F026E139.png
    AF52EB46-F85E-4B87-9E64-C771F026E139.png
    936.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Lowlight
Do any of the current kestrels/ballistic calculators have a feature that would allow the user to input the direction the wind is coming from, and then input the direction to the target(s), and have the wind direction automatically calculated:

Example:

The ballistic calculator could then give me firing solutions with the wind from 315 degrees or 10:30 (relative to target 1), 225 degrees or 7:30 (relative to target 2), and 135 degrees or 4:30 (relative to target 3).

If the 4DOF app does it, I haven't figured out how, and I can't remember if my Kestrel 4500AB did it or not.

The 5700 Elite does, no idea on the 4500 or Hornady model.

"https://kestrelballistics.com/faqs/question/view/id/281/#target-card"

Reactions: hondo1312

Example:

You are asking about multiple targets. The Kestrel 5700 Elite can calculate 10 targets and display the elevation and wind holds for each on the Multi Target screen. Yes, each target can have unique DOF, angle and distance along with a wind hold calculated to each unique target. You can load the data manually, have the Kestrel take the readings or use an LRF with Link to load the data. This along with our HUD are used a lot in PRS events. Link to the HUD
https://kestrelballistics.com/kestrel-hud-heads-up-display-5-series-ballistics-meters