• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autotrickler/autothrow powder pan info solicitation

Evintos

Lurker
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2008
I'm currently chatting with MK Machining to see if what an ideal powder pan dimension for the Autotrickler/Autothrow would be. It would be more affordable than the billet aluminum pans on the market. Ideally I would like a 1.5" to 2" tall pan and the 1.125" base to me is acceptable. All they would need to do is print a taller version of their Chargemaster pan. Would you prefer a taller/shorter pan? Wider base?

The dimensions of their RCBS Antistatic powder pan is 1.125" base and 0.85" tall. The sauce cup/handle that came with my autotrickler is 1.22" base and 0.90" tall.

I appreciate any insight.

Measure the height over the table that the end of the trickler tube on a standard base is. It should be exactly that tall when sitting on the scale.

Measure the height over the table that the end of the trickler tube on a standard base is. It should be exactly that tall when sitting on the scale.

I measured that out to be roughly 1.3" tall. Any thoughts/opinions on the diameter?

I would also say that it would be nice to have a good long handle on the pan. I know with my auto throw on top it's a bit awkward getting my hand in there to retrieve/place the powder pan every time. I fell like I'm playing Operation trying not to bang the trickler tube or the bendy straw.

Last edited:
Black Friday Special for the entire month of November
Free Shipping on all
FX-120i scales
FX-120i autotricklers
FX-120i Autotrickler / autothrower combos
FX-120i Autotrickler / autothrower combos with AREA 419 Accessories
Lowest price online anywhere
Contact us anytime 1-800-535-3751

https://ce-products.myshopify.com/

The 419 product is sweet but way overkill.

I’d like the pan to be much wider in diameter than the 419 version. I have to really make sure the 419 pan is in the exact right spot or I get kernels that miss the pan. I’d also like the opening to be smaller than the diameter of the base, that way you’d prevent kernels from bouncing out. Like a tea pot.

Thought I'd share some pictures of the low-polygon prototype. Height and width seems good to me. Definitely needs a longer handle. Been testing with Alliant AR-Comp up to 40gr with no kernel bounce. Comments?
IMG_0686.JPGIMG_0685.JPGIMG_0684.JPG

Last edited:
I’d make it wider and much taller. Have you tried it on a sartorius auto throw setup?

I’d make it wider and much taller. Have you tried it on a sartorius auto throw setup?

Nope, I don't have a Sartorius. I know it's pretty tall for the autothrow and requires a super long straw. I don't think MK Machining would be able to make it viable cost wise at the size requirements for the Sartorius.

The shot glasses look nice but I think a handle is important

ZY100 - have you measured the wall of the cup with a micrometer to ensure that it has less than .001" of variation in thickness throughout the cup? maybe we could see if 21st century can machine a mandrel for the neck turning lathe so that we could trim the sides down to a consistent thickness.

ZY100 - have you measured the wall of the cup with a micrometer to ensure that it has less than .001" of variation in thickness throughout the cup? maybe we could see if 21st century can machine a mandrel for the neck turning lathe so that we could trim the sides down to a consistent thickness.

Ha, ha....you made me go check. It is actually dead-nuts 0.0275 all the way around the rim. In more useful news, it is 2.1" wide and 0.97" tall. The handle is about 3.3". I put a little self adhesive foam on the bottom of mine to make it fancy.

It actually works very well. I offset a little from the center of the scale to make the reach better. With the bent straw and the trickler, I dont have an issue with splashed kernals.

ZY

I got my "custom cup" at William Sonoma - $4.99 long handle stainless measuring cup - works perfectly.

Slightly O/T, but I wanted to give a huge shoutout to Adam MacDonald of Autotrickler. I recently had a problem with the O-Ring drive rings on my trickler, plus some questions about the pulley. Turns out there have been revisions over the years. I had purchased another manufacturer's aftermarket enhancement parts and it did not come with the correct pulley. No one's fault, just one of those things that sometimes slips through the cracks.

I e-mailed Adam outside of business hours and didn't expect an answer until the next full workday. Nope, I think he e-mailed me back within ten minutes. He ultimately suggested that we talk, as opposed to go back and forth with e-mails. So, I called him. He was exceptionally helpful and explained everything to me. It was a bit of an issue and what impressed me the most is he never "kicked kitty litter" over any of it or tried to hide anything. It turned out to not be a huge deal and I was able to implement a temporary solution based on what he told me. He also sent me a new part and I want to make it clear that he didn't have to. He was just fantastic to work with and I highly recommend him and his products. He stands behind his stuff. Jeez.....Who the hell would respond to an e-mail outside of business hours, much less talk to you on the phone ?

Impressed ! (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: nfoley
I will say the same thing about Adam...super, super guy. Well outside business hours on the weekend when I was doing initial setup. I had one of the "1 in 100" scales that needed the jumper. He responded with minutes and we went back and forth on a few emails to be sure I was up and running.

ZY

I’m sure the MK/419/PVA autotrickler upgrades are all excellent products. On the other hand, my repurposed Advil bottle with coat hanger handle, centered with 2 pieces of adhesive backed felt, cost roughly $0 and never spills a kernel.