• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AutoTrickler V4 app update questions.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    I haven't run my V4 in just over a year and have yet to run it using the new update to the app. I was hoping for some advise before I started to throw some loads. I'm under the impression that the new update works best WITH OUT the jthor tip which I'm currently using. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be tuning 35 grains of H4350 for my throws.

1000007269.jpg
    1000007270.jpg

Reactions: skyrep and simonp

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Loaded 100 rounds yesterday after a year of no loading. I had to relearn some of the finer points but generally went well. While still figuring out the new app and fine tuning the settings, I was able to get 10-20 second throws including the approx. 2-3 seconds of the scale zeroing once I placed the cup on the scale. Very few overthrows and when it did it was usually by .02 over.

But I'm wondering about my large tube calibration. It seems to be a bit far to the right in the red part of the scale. Any opinions?

It's H4350

IMG_2089.PNG

Bulk speed is the large tube, mine typically is set to 6 or 7
    Transition is when the system goes from bulk / large tube to small trickle tube, 2.5 or 3 is typical
    Finish speed is the small tube speed when it gets close to being at weight
    Buffer is the transition of small tube to slower finish speed, this should be .04 or greater, I set mine at .08 for most. This means the small tube slows down at the .04 or whatever this is set to from set weight. this is the setting most overlooked. I set mine at .08 so at .08 from set charge weight the small tube slows down to almost a single kernel so it does not overthrow.

The easiest way to set the small tube is to set weight to 2 grains and play with the finish speed and buffer until it runs 2 grains with out over throwing.

This is all done after it is calibrated. Make sure you are level and run the calibration function a couple times. Add some forward tilt until you get the small tube as close to .21 as you can. Hope this helps.

RL 15.5 settings. Does 34 grains in 8 to 12 seconds, without over throwing

Screenshot_20230607_105527_AutoTrickler.jpg

Last edited:
    The larger the grain size the more horizontal the small tube needs to be, which means shimming under the front. The more horizontal the tube, the less the grains tend to tumble out… they have to be shoved out by the internal screw threads.

I make sure the scale is perfectly level (using the bubble) and then add duct tape shims under the AutoTrickler front feet so the small tube is more horizontal. I haven’t recalibrated in forever, I just hit the preset setting for H4350, punch in my weight and rock on.

Bulk speed is the large tube, mine typically is set to 6 or 7
    Transition is when the system goes from bulk / large tube to small trickle tube, 2.5 or 3 is typical
    Finish speed is the small tube speed when it gets close to being at weight
    Buffer is the transition of small tube to slower finish speed, this should be .04 or greater, I set mine at .08 for most. This means the small tube slows down at the .04 or whatever this is set to from set weight. this is the setting most overlooked. I set mine at .08 so at .08 from set charge weight the small tube slows down to almost a single kernel so it does not overthrow.

The easiest way to set the small tube is to set weight to 2 grains and play with the finish speed and buffer until it runs 2 grains with out over throwing.

This is all done after it is calibrated. Make sure you are level and run the calibration function a couple times. Add some forward tilt until you get the small tube as close to .21 as you can. Hope this helps.

RL 15.5 settings. Does 34 grains in 8 to 12 seconds, without over throwing

View attachment 8354744

Go watch the videos on post #7. The key to all powders is to get the tilt right so the small tube flow is .21 or very close to that. The only way to check flow rate is to run the calibration. I have assisted many people and almost every one is not setting it up right. But you do you.

• Haha
    Reactions: ZA206 and LR1845
    Go watch the videos on post #7. The key to all powders is to get the tilt right so the small tube flow is .21 or very close to that. The only way to check flow rate is to run the calibration. I have assisted many people and almost every one is not setting it up right. But you do you.
    Yea, I’ve watched all the videos and have no issues with them.

Once you get the right settings, you don’t have to calibrate anything. Just save the settings as a preset.
    I simply dump powder of choice in hopper, hit appropriate preset, punch in desired powder drop and hit go. That’s it. First charge takes longer than the rest as the small tube has to pickup powder, but after that they are all quick. No calibrating shit.

i have three presets:
    Ball (no shims)
    XBR (no shims)
    H4350 (this one uses duct tape shims under the two front feet)

Thats it.

You can do you too buddy…

I’ve used my way for the last 6 months and have had no issues. Calibrating every time is a waste of time and is totally unnecessary. If I tried a new powder that doesn’t work with one of those three profiles, I may consider doing a calibration to get a baseline. Odds are, one of my existing profiles works perfectly as is, and I know what all of the settings do and know how to tweak when necessary. I do load development constantly with over a dozen different powders…. No issues. It’s all very simple and there is no need to make it more complex.

Calibrating every time is a waste of time and is totally unnecessary.
    Might or might not be true if you never move it. I have several presses and have to move my V4 around, so I carefully level the scale, shim and calibrate to .19-.21 grains every reloading session. When I take those steps, I can reuse my previous set-up profiles every time. I agree that the profiles generally work for multiple powders with the same or similar grain sizes (e.g. RE15.5 and H4350).

I have the V4 and FX-120i that I purchased together about 1-2 years ago. It’s worked great. Today while reloading instead of tare to zero, it kept adding grains and wouldn’t stop. I removed the glass powder container. Pressed Zero to tare it. It goes to zero and then starts changing numbers increasing slowly in weight. Nothing is on the scale. No wind or vibrations or any differently. I unplugged the scale and removed the V4. Plugged it back in and calibrated using “Cal Out” and a certified 100g weight.
    I checked all the “port” settings that I had originally set per Adam’s instructions. They were all still the same.
    It appears set at zero but when I add the glass powder container it reads “E”.
    Any idea what’s going on? I’ve emailed Adam but thought I’d ask here as well. Thanks.

I swear I had the same thing happen over the winter (December maybe) and IIRC it was a calibration issue with the scale. I think I had bumped a button or two on the front and it started doing that. It's in my garage on by workbench and had gotten super cold. Took it in the house and let it warm up, then got out the FX-120i manual and did some reset and then did another calibration or something. Worked just fine after that, even in the freezing garage. I can't remember all the steps exactly.... but I was getting that E (I think it was "out of range") every time I placed something on the scale.

-ZA

Reactions: db2000