• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Avoid vendors who want you to pay using Paypal's Friends and Family feature

rogerg12

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2020
Palm Harbor, FL
If any vendor ask you to use Paypal's Friends and Family feature to send them money, run, run, run. Don't do business with them. It is likely a scam and you won't be getting your money back. I've come across a bunch of ammo-selling web sites with prices on ammo to good to be true (one-third of what the same ammo is selling for everywhere else, if you can even get it). Everything looks great...supposedly rave reviews...until you go through the payment part of the checkout. The checkout process doesn't include any option that allows you get your money back if the seller is fraudulent. This includes Paypal's Friends and Family feature. Real vendors don't ask for Friends and Family payments. So, if you see prices too good to be true and all the payment options don't seem to give you any money protection, don't do business with that web site or vendor.

Some people just do not want to loose 3% in fees (domestic funds) or 4.5% in fees (foreign based funds), which happens when you do "normal" PayPal transaction for goods. I think it is as simple as this...

Reactions: M77
Basically avoid anyone not able to take a fucking credit card. There's a reason for that.

Even if you don't plan on using a credit card, if they can't take one anyways, huge red flag.

Dont use a debit card online, ever

If they take venmo / cashapp / zelle / etc, check if they take credit cards. If not, run away; its not because of the 'CC fees are too high' its because they're about to scam you with a form of payment with zero recourse. Its literally an idiot test.

If I physically know you, I'd do paypal F&F, otherwise fuck all of that.

Some people just do not want to loose 3% in fees (domestic funds) or 4.5% in fees (foreign based funds), which happens when you do "normal" PayPal transaction for goods. I think it is as simple as this...

I get that and I'm sure it's some percentage of legitimate vendors and transactions...but it's not worth the risk so that the vendor can save 3-6%. If the vendor doesn't want me to have normal, guaranteed, payment protection so they can save 3-6%, I'd rather not take the risk and use a vendor who can both eat the credit card fees and respect that I don't want to just send money I can never reclaim to a person I've never met or done business with. To each their own.