• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Avoiding Ring Marks

ruth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2010
No matter how careful I mount my scopes I always get light ring marks, even after torqueing to spec. Besides not ever using a scope is there any way to lessen ring marks?

Re: Avoiding Ring Marks

try bedding your base too.

or you could just shoot and not worry about ring marks.

I always thought that a rifle setup was a tool, f**k the way it looks. Go shoot the the crap out of the sob!

I find that the "satin" finish of a S&B or Hensoldt scope tends to hold to to mounting better than the anodized finish that you see on US Optics scopes. That being said, I generally only use pretty high end mounts for my high end optics (AI mount, Badger rings, etc) so that might be where my lack of issue is as well.

Why do ring marks even matter? Does it affect the way the scope functions? NO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope is worth more the one w/ or w/ out the ring marks? </div></div>Exactly. It is a valid concern for someone who might not keep everything forever. I tend to buy and sell my gear more than most, so it matters to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter how careful I mount my scopes I always get light ring marks, even after torqueing to spec. Besides not ever using a scope is there any way to lessen ring marks? </div></div>

What rings and bases?

I rarely get any ring marks that will not disappear with a wipedown, and that's with the TPS, Seekins, NF and VTac rings i currently have.
Actually the TPS have the worst rep, yet they are my 30mm workhorse rings and have yet to mark a scope or let me down.

No lapping, no nada.

You could lap your rings. Or take a rubber glove very thin type, cut finger of the glove out (not yours) wrap around scope tube where rings grips scope. Carefully cut any overage.Also prevents any slipping. Or line ring with plumbers teflon tape one layer.

Near Alpha Mounts. A one piece mount that is perfectly aligned. Never knew about them until I accidentally traded into one. Now its all I'll own. At one point in time, I had pictures when I had taken the NF 5.5-22x56 out of the rings. My NF still looked like new. No ring marks, despite the punishing 300RUM and 338LM loads that scope and mount were subjected to. And it makes sense. Its a perfectly aligned mount from the manufacturer. No torqued base and off centered rings.

I buy and sell stuff all the time. I'm always swapping optics. I agree, the rifle is a tool for most. While I've used mine for hunting, I'm not even going to play like my rifles see any sort of harsh duty. The worst was this fall when I slid down a the bank of a creek trying to get to a buck I shot. Rifle was slung on my back and drug through the mud and snow all the way down. But that is the hardest I've ever been on a rifle.

I, like most here, would like to avoid having ring marks. I don't see the need to mash up a new scope if I don't have to. And, I don't have to. Near Alpha Mount gets my vote.

Warne rings don't leave marks on my scopes,burris signature work good, or lap them and rub a small dab of clear silicone in ring halves when you mount a scope.

if the base is bedded with no stress in it then a matched pair of rings will be in perfect alignment and no ring marks will be present.

my NF is mounted in seekins rings on a badger base I removed it the other day and no marks were present.

Using quality rings and bases, then not over torquing the screws on the rings, goes a long way to protect the finish on your scope. I love the Seekins rings they are have all the sharp edges machined off. I don't see how you could mark a scope with them using reasonable tension. I am very impressed with the quality of Seekins rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope is worth more the one w/ or w/ out the ring marks? </div></div>

To me, they're worth exactly the same... I've never once asked about ring marks on a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geargrinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris Signature rings= No ring marks ever.</div></div>

+1

The better the rings are made the less likely they will make marks.

Here is how I mount a scopes.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the replys, I have used various rings, BO, NEAR, etc...yet I always wind up with faint ring marks even after proper torque and installation. I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to ring marks since many here get none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope is worth more the one w/ or w/ out the ring marks? </div></div>

To me, they're worth exactly the same... I've never once asked about ring marks on a scope. </div></div>

+1 this.

It amazes me how many people are concerned with ring marks on scopes. I have bought several used NF scopes on this site and never did i ask if there were ring marks. This is akin to guys that buy nice cars that are garage queens. Who gives a shit if there is a mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geargrinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris Signature rings= No ring marks ever. </div></div>Yep if you are spending under $100 on rings these are by far the best imo.

Awesome! No better way to say it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought that a rifle setup was a tool, f**k the way it looks. Go shoot the the crap out of the sob! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could lap your rings. Or take a rubber glove very thin type, cut finger of the glove out (not yours) wrap around scope tube where rings grips scope. Carefully cut any overage.Also prevents any slipping. Or line ring with plumbers teflon tape one layer.
</div></div>Thats what I do, teflon tape.

Alot of scopes I see listed for sale with "ring marks" actually have circumferential dents in the tube, that's the problem.

For you guys that think that "ring marks" don't effect resale; I have some slightly used cars w/ a scratch and a dent here and there. After all it's only a tool! Just pay me retail and it'll help your "tuffguy" status!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you guys that think that "ring marks" don't effect resale; I have some slightly used cars w/ a scratch and a dent here and there. After all it's only a tool! Just pay me retail and it'll help your "tuffguy" status! </div></div>

ring marks are going to happen. yes it will affect the resale value because it is used, not because there are a couple small scratches.

No ring marks; alot less chance of it being "gorillad up" by previous user. Possible bent tube ....As stated on here; properly installed there usually aren't any ring marks. Sometimes the problem is more then just cosmetics. All else being equal take the one w/out the marks. Now; if the price justifies you taking a greater chance, then take the more cost effective one.

Another thing to note about the signature rings is that they allow you to "zero" the scope while keeping the optics centered. I.e., you can use the different inserts and rotate them around to get VERY close to zero (or +20 MOA or whatever you like) without having to turn the scope knobs. I don't know if it's common to have to crank the knobs around a lot with high quality rings on a supreme action, but it on a factory gun with a bolt on rail... maybe a different story? So, while the lack of ring marks is cool, this other perk is just as if not more cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope is worth more the one w/ or w/ out the ring marks? </div></div>

What's worth more? The scope that is used or the one "new in box"?

If you are worried about resale, don't take your stuff out and use it.

Now to answer the OP. I am extremely hard on my gear. The last time I pulled a scope from my seekins rings, the spot the rings covered was the only place the finish was pristine. No ring marks at all, and that rifle had 2000 rounds through it at that point and quite a few stalks.

Quality rings and proper mounting will prevent marks on a well made optic.

And another thing about Signature rings-the two sets I had tended for the cap screws to not hold torque after being tightened/loosened once or twice.

I found this out mid-match when I first started playing practical boltgun games. I've had a lot of rings since, but not another set of those. Save them for 22's that need some elevation (but I don't even wanna lose a local smallbore silhouette match, so I'll pass).

American Rifle makes rings with a non-traditional scope clamp, a setup that is designed to reduce the stress "hot spots" that cause ring marks.

They are in line with the cost of a set of Badgers, Near Mfg, Monarch, etc. 100% made in USA and tough as nails. They're also one of the more unique solutions to making sure that they return to zero each and every time, no matter how badly out of spec the rail is.

And the "buy quality and it's not going to be out of spec" idea is crap. I have a top quality (the mfg was mentioned in this thread already) base on my desk right now that's 0.0045" undersize (0.0095" off nominal)... Sure, they are going to take it back and send a new one but had I not owned the equipment to check it I'd be in for a surprise when trying to make everything line up without lapping... After shelling out $350+ for a ring and base setup from a top level manufacturer I really feel that I shouldn't have to lap everything to make it fit right out of the box.

The owner of the rail was more than surprised to hear what I found when measuring it.

I'm going to avoid mentioning who made the rail as they've been nice to deal with and I know that things happen occasionally, so I don't want to smear anyone's name in the mud. The point was that just because you paid top dollar for something it doesn't mean it's right.

The thought of a customer purchasing my rings to mount a $3200 S&B scope only to damage it in any way is unthinkable, regardless of the torque he or she applied to the scope clamp screws. The fact that lapping is required at all when using other rings indicates a failure.

This is simply a question of design, and during the design of virtually any type of structural component, loads and load paths are almost always the first consideration.

To the customer, all I can say is this: Expect more for your money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are worried about resale, don't take your stuff out and use it.</div></div>

Why take the "all or nothing" approach?

You can take your stuff out, use it and abuse it, and still be in good shape. There's a big difference between battle scar and ring marks.

Especially with your grand father's pre-64 Win Mod 70 30-06. Wear and tear give the old stick a character all of its own. Tool marks desecrate it.