• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Avoiding the Tacticool nub.

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I am putting the finishing touches on my first precision centerfire rifle this month (*fingers crossed*) and will be attending a beginner course in about 8 weeks. It will be my first foray into long range precision shooting (aside from having a coworker that is a former marine take me shooting for my first time to bang steel at 500m) and I dont want to be/look like a fool.

What equipment do I need to get through the day without looking like I am ill prepared. What equipment is overkill and will instantly out me as a tacticool nub? I dont mind people knowing I am a first time shooter (again, precision long range, own and have shot plenty of pistol, rimfire and semiauto), I just dont want to be that guy walking around in a plate carrier in full battle dress. What is appropriate attire so I am comfortable in the conditions (probably going to be 80-90 degrees mostly in direct sun), without looking like I am trying to deploy?

Basically I am hoping for information on what to bring, and what to wear so I am confortable, look like I belong, without standing out or making an ass out of myself. I will leave that to my shooting.

Most courses that charge $$ have an required equipment list on their websites, bring what they suggest you will be fine

Dont sweat being the new guy, thats how ya learn

never let pride stand in the way of learning

Have always thought it better to be underdressed for an event rather than overdressed for the first time out.

Gun, ammo, chamber flag, sandbag or two, shooting mat if going to shoot prone, headphones, safety or shooting glasses and ball cap to keep sun out of eyes and maybe a water or two. Not too noob looking but prepared enough to look like you know which end the bullet comes out of. Not being afraid to ask questions and tell others you're new to the game and want to learn.

Having the right attitude gets you a lot farther along and becoming part of the group. Nothing is worse than acting like a know it all and if you aren't hitting well that day getting upset and throwing stuff around, just a couple times of acting like that will be remembered a long time to the other shooters and it takes a LONG time to recover from that.

Topstrap

Last edited:
Note pad, w/ pen and/or pencil
Hat to keep sun off neck and eyes
Comfortable clothes that you would take a hike in and don't mind if they get dirty (more I live, the less I use cotton and the more I use the fancy stuff that allows sweat to dry quickly)
Good ear and eye pro
Footwear that you would do a light hike in, again comfortable and quick drying. Include extra pair of socks in your pack
1200-1800 cu in pack, don't need molle or multicam design, just something with zippers and fabric that will not tear/break
Water, 1L per hour out in sun, probably more
Some type of snack, something that will not melt
Sunscreen, if you need it

zeroed rifle (go with 100yd zero)
Some basic dope for your rifle - comeups every 25 or 50yds out to the max range you will be shooting, some idea how much the bullet drifts in 1mph of wind
bipod, and rear bag
plenty of ammo, take 110% of the recommended load out
Empty Chamber Indicator (ECI)
Shooting mat

Good trigger finger
Good cheek weld
Good Length of Pull
Good follow-thru
Basic understanding of your optic's reticle and parallex adjustment, know if the scope is FFP or SFP, MIL/MIL or MOA/MIL, or MOA/MOA or something else

Safety first mind-set
Open to critical words from others
Sense of humor for when you miss

Rifle and ammo/mags
Comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather.
Eye/ear pro
Rear bag
Sling
Water
Munchies
Elbow/knee pads
Pad of paper / pen
Dope card/ballistic app for your load.

Pretty basic stuff, everyone I've ever shot with is more than happy to help, answer questions, loan stuff if needed for a stage etc.

Just go and have fun, you'll figure out what works for you as you go along.

Also, a small tool kit that is specific for your rifle and if you have the space, a small first aid kit

This is awesome thanks guys. So far things I would have probably skipped/overlooked that I will be sure to bring:

Pad of Paper/Pen
Munchies
Quick drying socks
Rifle tools (would have brought these as they are in my range bag, but I will make sure I have everything I could need)

If you have a Kestral, take it. Don't buy one just for the class - figure out what model you really need before buying. There is a good chance there will be a few at the class and people will share data.

Sunblock, and advil/asprin type stuff is a good idea too.

Band aids.

Choose clothes that fit the climate you will be in.

For the first one, you can always bring too much stuff and leave it in the truck.

--Fargo007

An open mind to learn with and a pen and paper to take notes with.

Other than that, and the normal stuff you should take shooting(ear pro/eye pro, etc...) maybe a ballistic program for your smart phone like Shooter or Ballistic FTE. I use Shooter and love it.