• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW Mags in an AX chassis with a M2008 - Feeding issue

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys,
    I just got a rifle and its shoots absolutely fantastic, my only issue was with feeding. Sometimes the rifle would not feed a round. Its kind of weird, With the bolt closed I can barely put a typical AI 5 round mag in the AX chassis when loaded with 5 rounds of 6.5cm. However when I use the 10 round AW mag it goes in just fine but its almost as if its not sitting high enough to feed properly. The bolt is barely catching the next round after running the bolt.
    Luckily this allowed me to see if I had any sort of flinch, which I did not. Pretty happy about that - kinda like the pistol drill where you surprise your friend with either an empty mag or one in the chamber.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this or get the mag to sit just a tad be higher in the chassis?

Its my understanding that , for example , if you run a M2008 , thats been dropped into a correctly inleted AICS stock , then you cannot run AICS & AW mags together , you have to choose which ONE you want the magazine catch set for , as their is a slight difference , in the lenght of the mag catch .
    I have a M2008 in a AICS stock , and has the mag catch set to run AW 10rd mags , and I have no problem with it .

As you use a AX AICS , then maybe you need to get the different , AX ( AW ) mags , as they have the little front catch .

Me , I would take to gunsmith , along with some AX double feed mags , and get him to adjust the front hook up & the back mag catch to get the right height required to be relaible .

I had my AX chassis inletted for my M2013 by Badger and they only had the one inlet option at the time, maybe they have another now? It really only worked with the single stack mags, the AX mag or the AICS mags but not the AX double feed mags, pretty much the same issue. I made a spacer for the catch on the mag out of epoxy. It works fine but I actually like the feeding feel out of the single stack mags better, its a little smoother. I don't know how long it will last and wouldn't really want to find out in a match it came off and now doesn't feed.

These mags that I have I'm assuming are AW mags. They do not have the front lip on them. I am awaiting a PM from APA to see if they remember this build and have any insight for me. But I am thinking I need to add a little to the mag release to allow the AW mags to sit just a tad bit higher. I am ok with the AI mags not working as I only have 1 of them but 3 AW mags.

if they are 5 round mags they are not AW mags. AW mags are 10 round double stack (not to be confused with the 10 round single stack AICS)

to work with an AX chassis you need to use AX mags, whether they be AX Aics mags(same as AICS but with lip at front to hold mag in) or AX 10 round double stack (same as AW but with lip at front to hold mag in).

if they are 5 round mags they are not AW mags. AW mags are 10 round double stack (not to be confused with the 10 round single stack AICS)

to work with an AX chassis you need to use AX mags, whether they be AX Aics mags(same as AICS but with lip at front to hold mag in) or AX 10 round double stack (same as AW but with lip at front to hold mag in).

My previous comment probably mislead you... I completely understand and am aware of the difference between an AX, an AW and an AI mag. As I said before I have 3 AW (double stack 10 round mags w/o the front lip) and 1 5rnd AI (single stack) mag. My issue is with the 10 round AW double stack mags.

Last edited:
    If the AICS AX chassis was inlet for the M2008 by Badger it was done so to use AICS AX/ AICS single stack mags. They could inlet the AX AICS to use the AW/AX mags but like someone mentioned earlier you probably have to set it up that way from the start. No interchanging between the two from what I understand. Fitting in the magwell is not the issue as much as the depth the action sits in the chassis. The action is too high which is why the bolt rides over the rounds. Something about how the mag catch between the AICS and AW mag are different.