• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW tuning - bad last round

Wallaback

Up North and freezing.
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
I've recently made the switch from AICS to AW mags for my .308 Ultimatum Deadline, in an MDT ACC Elite chassis with adjustable mag latch.

While I'm loving the experience for 9 out of the 10 rounds, I'm running into a consistent last-round jam - the nose of the bullet hard locks into the action below the feed ramp.

I know the go-to answer for a lot of problems tends to be "adjust the feed lips", but the first nine rounds feed perfectly fine, making me think it's actually the follower that's the problem.

On further inspection, it's pretty obvious that the two pins holding on to the mag spring are protruding out of the follower, and the problem child round is actually not flush with the follower but instead sits on the pin and makes a different contact with the feed lips. There's a visible difference in the seating of the last round vs any of the rounds that don't make direct contact with that piece.

Both of my magazines display the same protruding pin, making me think it's by design and not a one of QC issue? Is this a known portion of the magazine that people tune?

Any advice on how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated - I love the smoothness and overall compactness of AW and don't want to go back to AICS, but obviously the last round jam is unacceptable.

IMG_4879.jpg
IMG_4881.jpg
IMG_4882.jpg

Contact AI. I have had multiple duds out of the mags I bought in the last year, related specifically to those rivets or whatever.

Reactions: Wallaback
Well, that pin is a rivet and that is not normal by design. Here’s one of mine that is years old. Notice that the rivets don’t protrude into the round channel.

1704582490008.jpeg

The easy fix is a quick file and done job.

Wow, so I guess it is just a QC issue! Little shocking that both magazines would have the same problem, but I guess once a machine is out of spec...

2min with the Dremel and the pins have been shaved back and it seems my feeding issues are resolved (at least with snap caps, we'll see how it does in the field).