• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWC Turbodyne Vs Barrett QDL on M107A1

SouthTxShooter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2013
I currently have a Bushmaster BA50 with a AWC Turbodyne and just bought (in transit) a Barrett M107a1 (20" barrel). I am entertaining the idea of purchasing the Barrett QDL to go on the new rifle and would like some opinions from y'all that have, or had, similar setups.

The Bushmaster has a significant recoil increase (not hard hitting, but a powerful pushing feel) with the AWC attached compared to the oversized muzzlebrake it came with. The recoil makes it uncomfortable to shoot for many people, but the muzzle blast and sound reduction is awesome. With the brake on, it feels like a .243, but the sound is ridiculous.

With the Barrett coming with a 10" shorter barrel, and weighing 3 lbs less, I know I want to tame the muzzle blast. My fear is that the AWC suppressor will make the recoil even worse than the Bushmaster.

I have read that the QDL suppressor don't have the decibel reduction of other similar suppressors, but does that mean that it is just finding the sweet spot between sound suppression and recoil reduction?

I understand that these 2 concerns are competing against each other at a point, but I am ok with sacrificing a little recoil or sound to get closer to a more enjoyable balance. Are there any other options out there that are better than the QDL?

Why do you want a short barreled .50 BMG?

I haven't shot with one, only held one and talked with the Barrett rep about one. They said that the Barrett suppressor that has the integrated muzzle brake on the end made the rifle a lot nicer to shoot, as opposed to if you took off the muzzle break part from the end of the suppressor, it was not exactly pleasant to shoot.

Where did you get the AWC Turbodyne? I have a Robar RC-50 and Barrett, they're indeed brutal compared to a suppressed .338LM
Sorry for the unhelpful post.

I haven't shot with one, only held one and talked with the Barrett rep about one. They said that the Barrett suppressor that has the integrated muzzle brake on the end made the rifle a lot nicer to shoot, as opposed to if you took off the muzzle break part from the end of the suppressor, it was not exactly pleasant to shoot.
I was up in the air between the 20" and 29" barrel. I came across a lightly used one for a fair price and it happened to be a 20". I was leaning that way anyway because I was planning on suppressing it. With the added length of a giant suppressor I felt like the 29" would be a PITA to move around and store with or without the suppressor.

Where did you get the AWC Turbodyne? I have a Robar RC-50 and Barrett, they're indeed brutal compared to a suppressed .338LM
Sorry for the unhelpful post.
I've had the AWC for about 10 years now. I purchased it from a gun shop in San Antonio that is no longer in business.

I was up in the air between the 20" and 29" barrel. I came across a lightly used one for a fair price and it happened to be a 20". I was leaning that way anyway because I was planning on suppressing it. With the added length of a giant suppressor I felt like the 29" would be a PITA to move around and store with or without the suppressor.

I guess if you got a good deal on the 20" then that makes it work.

The whole upper assembly comes apart on the M107A1 so it actually transports pretty small. the suppressor comes off quick and easy, so for transport it's not bad even with the 29" barrel, you can carry it in the back of a sedan taken apart. I'm assuming at the range length really doesn't matter as it's not like you are going to hump a 40 pound rifle any distance.

Home defense / CQB.

why you think they named it the CQ???

D45B5993-9824-437E-A33C-8FCF301C0459.png

Tag for suppressor info in regards to a gas operated Serbu