• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX/AT compatibility

dormandefense

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Aynor, SC
Wondering for curiosity sake.

I have a new AI AT, and I’m wondering if the action is a drop in for a factory AX chassis. I’m sure it’s exceedingly rare that someone removes an action from the AX to drop in another system, but I’m curious all the same. I did see a couple of people who had dropped an AT into an MPA chassis.

Wondering for curiosity sake.

I have a new AI AT, and I’m wondering if the action is a drop in for a factory AX chassis. I’m sure it’s exceedingly rare that someone removes an action from the AX to drop in another system, but I’m curious all the same. I did see a couple of people who had dropped an AT into an MPA chassis.

It’s the same action, yes. So, if you found someone with an AX chassis they removed the action from.....yes.

But it won’t drop into an AX action you buy offline/retail. They don’t sell the AX chassis for an AI action.

It’s the same action, yes. So, if you found someone with an AX chassis they removed the action from.....yes.

But it won’t drop into an AX action you buy offline/retail. They don’t sell the AX chassis for an AI action.

this was my assumption. I know the aics ax isn’t made to work like that.

do you ever see these chassis available?

The AT, as you likely already know, is not glued into the chassis. Both my AWs are bolted and glued in while my AT is just bolted too.
IT IS MY BRAIN THAT IS SOMETIME (RARELY) NOT GLUED BUT SURELY SCREWED
I was under the impression that the AX was done the same as the AW but could be wrong. Fact is, when I owned a couple of AX rifles, I never bothered to look that over.

Last edited:
That's interesting, looking at my AT I'd have bet it's "devcon" type epoxied in the chassis, looks the same as whatever they used to epoxy the rear stock into the chassis.

The AT, as you likely already know, is not glued into the chassis. Both my AWs are bolted and glued in while my AT is just bolted.
I was under the impression that the AX was done the same as the AW but could be wrong. Fact is, when I owned a couple of AX rifles, I never bothered to look that over.

Thats not an AT if it’s not bonded.

The AT, as you likely already know, is not glued into the chassis. Both my AWs are bolted and glued in while my AT is just bolted.
The several AT’s we’ve pulled apart or friends have to swap into MPA’s were all bonded

That's interesting, looking at my AT I'd have bet it's "devcon" type epoxied in the chassis, looks the same as whatever they used to epoxy the rear stock into the chassis.

AT is bonded like AX and AW.

MK series is not bonded.

this was my assumption. I know the aics ax isn’t made to work like that.

do you ever see these chassis available?

I have never seen an AX chassis for sale. Most people buy an AT if they are planning on debonding and most keep the chassis in case they decide to sell.

Thats not an AT if it’s not bonded.
Guess I haven't had the skins off on my AT to look. I was going on threads I had seen here with people taking AT's out of the chassis.
Just an assumption on my part.
I guess the same assumption I had that the AX was a much better rifle than the AW but finding it wasn't. Also that selling an AW to buy an AX was a good thing. It wasn't. Surprisingly, I was then convinced that the AT would never match up to the AW. But, so far, it has.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
AT is bonded like AX and AW.

MK series is not bonded.

this is what I thought. It would be news to me if the AT wasn’t.

I have never seen an AX chassis for sale. Most people buy an AT if they are planning on debonding and most keep the chassis in case they decide to sell.

this is what I assumed was the case. Just wondered since I had seen some AT chassis up for sale. In reality, the AT chassis Will work fine for me in the matches I’ll be running.

this is what I thought. It would be news to me if the AT wasn’t.

this is what I assumed was the case. Just wondered since I had seen some AT chassis up for sale. In reality, the AT chassis Will work fine for me in the matches I’ll be running.

If you’re thinking about a chassis upgrade, I’d consider the Accuracy Obsession chassis

Once the Obsession chassis are machined and out in the wild, there may be an AX chassis available from someone that has done the upgrade. Until then, I doubt there are any people other than me that have debonded an AX.
6B9803B1-6CB9-4631-9206-AB67B697FF3E.jpeg

Reactions: Canuck1977
Once the Obsession chassis are machined and out in the wild, there may be an AX chassis available from someone that has done the upgrade. Until then, I doubt there are any people other than me that have debonded an AX.
View attachment 7285318

Next on your list should be a design that incorporates an A2 grip module and works with the mdt stock.

Or A2 grip and AX

Reactions: WATERWALKER
Next on your list should be a design that incorporates an A2 grip module and works with the mdt stock.

Or A2 grip and AX
A2 grip on an AT/AX is possible, but a lot of work and will be really expensive.

I thought about an MDT adapter for the AT/AX a long while back. I’d need a buttstock in hand to see if it’s feasible and wouldn’t end up with a ridiculous LOP. If anyone has one or can take theirs off their ACC for a week or two, send it to me and I’ll figure it out.

Is there a book showing the differences in the rifles from the begining to now? I plan on buying one at the end of the year. I would like to know the history and model differences in the past and present.

Thanks @-Fozzy-

@dormandefense I'm still taking pre-orders, and hoping for a June delivery date. However I am currently unsure of any possible manufacturing delays caused by the covid-19 closures across the country.

Sam

Is there a book showing the differences in the rifles from the begining to now? I plan on buying one at the end of the year. I would like to know the history and model differences in the past and present.

British Sniper: A century of evolution has the best information regarding AI history that I am aware of, I am fairly certain the author is currently writing a bio on AI though.

Reactions: chopit
Thanks @-Fozzy-

@dormandefense I'm still taking pre-orders, and hoping for a June delivery date. However I am currently unsure of any possible manufacturing delays caused by the covid-19 closures across the country.

Sam

Also, since you don’t already have enough things to do. Design a trigger they mimics a diamond and fits an AI.

I'm definitely not smart enough to design a new trigger for the AI, but might be worth shooting an email over to Trigger Tech. I contacted them prior to the AI Comp Trigger being released, so maybe if enough people ask them for it they'll look into it. With how long their 2-stage trigger has taken to come out, I have my doubts they'd have one any time soon.

I'm definitely not smart enough to design a new trigger for the AI, but might be worth shooting an email over to Trigger Tech. I contacted them prior to the AI Comp Trigger being released, so maybe if enough people ask them for it they'll look into it. With how long their 2-stage trigger has taken to come out, I have my doubts they'd have one any time soon.
People asking and people buying are 2 way different things. I doubt anyone would take on the trigger. They have the comp trigger that can go to single stage. Much else then that I think is a long shot, ain’t gonna happen.

It’s a tough road with an AI if you want to bring it up to speed with comp rigs.

$3000 (used) AT
$1200 AO chassis
$800 ax butt stock
$400 comp trigger (assuming you want something like that)

$5400 vs $4k or less for a custom.

I’m thinking a few more than that.
AI triggers are awesome but plenty of people want a lighter pull that isn’t problematic like the comp trigger appeared to be.
I’m sure it be a few more, but wanting something is one thing, and people wantin to put money up is a whole new level.

Everyone wants one till it cost money....

Reactions: Steel head
I’m sure it be a few more, but wanting something is one thing, and people wantin to put money up is a whole new level.

Everyone wants one till it cost money....

This.

Proof is in how many AO chassis and .223 conversions were ordered when it was time for people to put up cash.

Reactions: trophyhunter
I’m thinking a few more than that.
AI triggers are awesome but plenty of people want a lighter pull that isn’t problematic like the comp trigger appeared to be.
What are/were the reported problems with the comp trigger?

What are/were the reported problems with the comp trigger?

Failures. I had three separate comp triggers and they all starting failing to cock all the time and eventually not cock. All with under 500 rounds.

One of them all I did was take it out the package and turn out the first stage to make it a single stage. This is the recommended way to do this. The other two I messed with different adjustments. They all failed.

Two of them I sent back to the manufacturer and the owner/designer of the trigger himself set them up on the in house jig as 1lb single stage.

He shipped them back. I put them both into two different rifles and they both would fail to cock if you ran the bolt with any amount of force.

Eventually the manufacturer just stopped responding to my emails without making it right.

My opinion is, if the guy that built the things can’t tune them to work, they aren’t worth my time.

Some people are having great success with the comp trigger though. It has so many adjustments, I think they all have to line up well for the specific setting. When that happens it’s awesome.

Basically, same story with stuff like alpha brass. When it works, it’s awesome. The rest of the time, your rolling the dice.

Reactions: Steel head
Failures. I had three separate comp triggers and they all starting failing to cock all the time and eventually not cock. All with under 500 rounds.

One of them all I did was take it out the package and turn out the first stage to make it a single stage. This is the recommended way to do this. The other two I messed with different adjustments. They all failed.

Two of them I sent back to the manufacturer and the owner/designer of the trigger himself set them up on the in house jig as 1lb single stage.

He shipped them back. I put them both into two different rifles and they both would fail to cock if you ran the bolt with any amount of force.

Eventually the manufacturer just stopped responding to my emails without making it right.

My opinion is, if the guy that built the things can’t tune them to work, they aren’t worth my time.

glad to have read this as I was considering the comp trigger. Honestly, most modifications to the AI turn me off. The reason why I run an AI in the first place is complete reliability. Trigger isn’t the lightest, but it feels good. I also don’t want a 1lb trigger on a gun I run in dynamic matches. I’ve seen numerous $5k custom rifles with 10oz triggers shit the bed at a match. I’ve never seen a complete failure of an AI. The only failure I’ve seen is one case where the new barrel system set screw backed off and the guys pattern was walking. After we found it was that and squared it away, it was back to 100% at original zero. I’ve run an AE MKIII and now an AT with grit and all kinds of debris/liquid in the action. I’ve never had the bolt hesitate even in these conditions.

I like a rig that could roll down a hill and still be dead nuts at the bottom. (I’ve actually know this to occur with an AI and DMR/Spuhr combo)

I think running the Comp Trigger in a mid-weight 2-stage configuration has had less issues, at least from what I've heard. Seems like a lot of the issues stem from single stage and lighter pull weights. I'm not saying it's user issue, as the Comp Trigger is definitely advertised as being able to do sub-1# single stage, but a 1.5# 2-stage setting might be more reliable.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I think running the Comp Trigger in a mid-weight 2-stage configuration has had less issues, at least from what I've heard. Seems like a lot of the issues stem from single stage and lighter pull weights. I'm not saying it's user issue, as the Comp Trigger is definitely advertised as being able to do sub-1# single stage, but a 1.5# 2-stage setting might be more reliable.

I’ll probably give the comp trigger one more shot once I get your chassis.

• Haha

What???

The AT and AX are both bonded...not sure what you are looking at

What???

The AT and AX are both bonded...not sure what you are looking at
I think if you read further down you would see where I corrected myself.
I knew the AE (preAW actions) were not but got crossed up because I thought I had read before of someone taking an AT out of the chassis and putting it in something else. I am getting old and frail and the beer virus is hunting for me.

Reactions: Nik H