• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Axes

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
So moved into first home and just getting general tools to have around, decided an axe fits the bill. I like to look into something before I buy and quickly discovered their are 2 kinds of axes. Felling and splitting.

Is it smart to have both around? Is their general purposes axes? Is one axe obsolete?

So moved into first home and just getting general tools to have around, decided an axe fits the bill. I like to look into something before I buy and quickly discovered their are 2 kinds of axes. Felling and splitting.

Is it smart to have both around? Is their general purposes axes? Is one axe obsolete?
I guess the answer is are you cutting trees down or chopping wood?

I'll take a chainsaw over an axe everytime.
With that said I have a few axes, with the Council Tool boy's axe my most used.
For splitting I prefer a maul.
But, southern twisted hardwood grain is a whole different animal that what Wranglerstar has.

Reactions: jbailey
1633628037060.png

Holy hell yall were quick with this one.

For more info its mostly down trees that need cleaned up that seem to be the biggest issue. Area storms alot and I dont have a chainsaw. Maybe a good reason to get one.

Processing wood for the firepit also would be a thing. Maybe I should convince myself to get a chainsaw splitter and chopper.

Ill take a read through all the posted info, thanks gents.

For a readily available modern axe, hard to beat Gransfors Bruks. I like the small forester's axe as a good all-purpose size.

Others out there, but this one is very well made and not overly expensive.

If you are cutting firewood, then other/additional recommendations might be in order.

Um…chainsaw over axe for that kind of work unless you have some fantasy about having been born 200 years too late.

for that matter, a hydraulic splitter over a maul unless you just simply hate yourself.

I like having an axe around…I’m not sure why. I never use it. I bring in at least 4 cords of firewood off the property every year that is mostly standing dead and blow-down...chainsaw and gas/hydraulic splitter.…all the way.

Reactions: Ranchhand
Holy hell yall were quick with this one.

For more info its mostly down trees that need cleaned up that seem to be the biggest issue. Area storms alot and I dont have a chainsaw. Maybe a good reason to get one.

Processing wood for the firepit also would be a thing. Maybe I should convince myself to get a chainsaw splitter and chopper.

Ill take a read through all the posted info, thanks gents.

Don't know your experience with cutting wood, but be very careful cutting up downed trees. They can twist and fall in ways you don't expect, and can hurt you bad before you know it.

Don't know your experience with cutting wood, but be very careful cutting up downed trees. They can twist and fall in ways you don't expect, and can hurt you bad before you know it.
Limited but I have done it, grandparents just handed me and axe and pointed (not really), but granted those trees were 1/4 the width of what i got around here. Im far from experienced doing it.

Last edited:
Um…chainsaw over axe for that kind of work unless you have some fantasy about having been born 200 years too late.

for that matter, a hydraulic splitter over a maul unless you just simply hate yourself.

I like having an axe around…I’m not sure why. I never use it. I bring in at least 4 cords of firewood off the property every year that is mostly standing dead and blow-down...chainsaw and gas/hydraulic splitter.…all the way.
That sounds like what id mostly be doing. Iv never used the hydraulic splitters. I have broken up down trees with an axe before but these little things are nothing compared to what is around me now. I just figured for how little id use it a chainsaw might be a bit overkill but maybe not. Why I ended up asking here.

Reactions: TxLabRat
I like keeping axes around. I’ve felled, bucked and split with them but a saw is well worth the investment. A good double bit will serve you well. An acute edge for limbing, felling small stuff and a more obtuse edge (still sharp) for working near the ground and splitting. A dedicated splitter like the Husky on the left is nice if all you intend to do is split rounds.

08945C88-C691-4BFD-9CBC-6271D138CC9D.jpeg

Reactions: stefan73
I have a 20” chainsaw and two axes. The chainsaw is the go to for obvious reasons. However there may come a time when gas/bar and chain oil are impossible to come by and that’s when the axe is invaluable. Know how to use both and you’ll be just fine no matter the situation.

Husqvarna put out a great series on YouTube about felling and bucking trees. Addressed all the major safety concerns.

The USFS Sawyer series is also on YouTube. A great primer on felling safely.

For a readily available modern axe, hard to beat Gransfors Bruks. I like the small forester's axe as a good all-purpose size.

Others out there, but this one is very well made and not overly expensive.

If you are cutting firewood, then other/additional recommendations might be in order.

I have a 1941 sample.
darn nice.

I live on a farm and cut / split all of my firewood. Roughly 4-5 ricks each year. I still split by hand with a maul because I love it. For cutting up downed trees this is a great tool to have:
1633630864728.jpeg
For a maul get a Fiskars splitting maul with their Isocore handle. Best I’ve ever used.

Reactions: Hookturnr
Ifin your only doing a few trees a year, might be a better option to save a few up trees and rent a splitter. If you know you’ll have a bunch quite often, save yourself the headache and get a hydraulic splitter. They also double as good can smashers when you don’t have any wood to split.

I live on a farm and cut / split all of my firewood. Roughly 4-5 ricks each year. I still split by hand with a maul because I love it. For cutting up downed trees this is a great tool to have:
View attachment 7716751For a maul get a Fiskars splitting maul with their Isocore handle. Best I’ve ever used.

yeah, do your back a favor and get a Peavy pole or cant hook. I like (love) Logrite for either, but a Chinese-made one will do the trick if you are doing light duties.

I do a good bit of logging/felling/bucking/sliding/whatever you call it. I have a lot of axes but they all collect dust and look mean on their hangers. A Stihl chainsaw and a Logrite Peavy do all the real work. A log arch off the back of my SxS ATV does the skidding on most logs, with the big Turbo Diesel Powerstroke for the 30"+ diameters.

I say go chainsaw especially with your comments say about the sizes of trees. Make sure you make your way over to the Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders thread. Lots of great recommendations over the years in there.

I would recommend a medium sized chainsaw from a good manufacturer. I like Echo.

I would also recommend a splitting maul whether or not you get a hydraulic splitter. Just good to have around.

Then get two axes. Get a full sized one. I would recommend looking for one that is pretty old unless you go with Gransfors to make sure you get good steel.

Lastly I would get one like what I had available a long time ago in the Swedish axe thread here. 2 ish lb head with about a 2 ft long handle. More of a pack axe than anything.

The key is to get really good steel. Not what folks these days will say is good, but what was considered good back when folks used these tools every day.

Chainsaw for sure and a hydraulic splitter if you've got a lot to do. I have a small electric chainsaw that's great for trimming branches off deadfall providing you've got a long enough extension cord.

I've got a pick mattock and an axe that primarily get used for cutting roots when I'm digging in the yard, but rarely for clearing downed trees or limbs. I use a maul or sledge hammer with a wedge for small splitting jobs. All readily available though if/when fuel isn't available for the power tools.

I've got a couple of small Fiskars hatchets - one in the garage and one in the toolbox on truck - that are good for small work like splitting kindling and small branches but I wouldn't want to try to cut anything thicker than my arm with them. Too much like work.

Dude has a wealth of knowledge of axes and saws....

But between the hair dye, flat brim hats, and NutnFancy face....dude is fucking cringey to watch sometimes...

...You're in your 50s dude, it's okay to look like it...

Hey he is the Garand Thumb of axes........

Stop hating, Hater!

• Haha
Reactions: ...
Hey he is the Garand Thumb of axes........

Stop hating, Hater!
So he speeds up all of his wood cutting footage and has an audience comprised mostly of Redditors?

This one works good for me. Can get a ton of head speed with it. Works good for splitting and I've cut smaller trees down with it easily.

FSK1015644.jpg

Shoulder and back powered hand tools are shit for volume, but awesome for a workout while actually being productive in the process. I hand split my wood now and enjoy the work as much as push mowing my lawn, gives me thinking time while breaking a good sweat. But a decade ago when I had eleven oak trees dropped in my then TN yard by a crew, the smallest of which I still couldn't wrap my arms around, I sure as shit rented a splitter for those massive rounds. In two days of moderate effort I split around five cords that would have taken me months to do by hand. When you need to get the firewood drying for winter burning, you can't wait to do it by hand.

For a good hand splitter, lighter is better as well as find one with a narrow type wedge on the sides, it's very efficient at stressing the wood apart in a smaller area which then forces the rest of the round to separate. Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halder-...Axe-with-Superplastic-Face-3007-751/318043454

You don't have to go with the $160 one, but I'm not linking anything up made in China (which are in the ~$50 price range). Easy to find online.

When splitting smaller rounds, up to 15" diameter or so, you need the speed and not the weight. Remember kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity SQUARED, so the faster you can get your splitter going, the exponential increase in energy to do the work. Anything bigger is where the large and heavy wedge type splitter comes into play, and you get the sledge hammer behind it to do the rest.

A Gränsfors Small Forest Axe is awesome for limbing, or anything else in that size range, as well as being very handy at the camp or a tool for behind the truck seat when you really need it. You can certainly get use out of a full size axe, and get very handy at it as well, but that's on you. There's also a reason so many of us recommend Gränsfors Bruk, worth every penny.

Now for chainsaw recommendations, I'm not touching that Stihl vs. Husqvarna debate...

Shoulder and back powered hand tools are shit for volume, but awesome for a workout while actually being productive in the process. I hand split my wood now and enjoy the work as much as push mowing my lawn, gives me thinking time while breaking a good sweat. But a decade ago when I had eleven oak trees dropped in my then TN yard by a crew, the smallest of which I still couldn't wrap my arms around, I sure as shit rented a splitter for those massive rounds. In two days of moderate effort I split around five cords that would have taken me months to do by hand. When you need to get the firewood drying for winter burning, you can't wait to do it by hand.

For a good hand splitter, lighter is better as well as find one with a narrow type wedge on the sides, it's very efficient at stressing the wood apart in a smaller area which then forces the rest of the round to separate. Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halder-...Axe-with-Superplastic-Face-3007-751/318043454

You don't have to go with the $160 one, but I'm not linking anything up made in China (which are in the ~$50 price range). Easy to find online.

When splitting smaller rounds, up to 15" diameter or so, you need the speed and not the weight. Remember kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity SQUARED, so the faster you can get your splitter going, the exponential increase in energy to do the work. Anything bigger is where the large and heavy wedge type splitter comes into play, and you get the sledge hammer behind it to do the rest.

A Gränsfors Small Forest Axe is awesome for limbing, or anything else in that size range, as well as being very handy at the camp or a tool for behind the truck seat when you really need it. You can certainly get use out of a full size axe, and get very handy at it as well, but that's on you. There's also a reason so many of us recommend Gränsfors Bruk, worth every penny.

Now for chainsaw recommendations, I'm not touching that Stihl vs. Husqvarna debate...
But what about 45 vs 9mm?

what about heavier maul recommendations, 8-12 lbs?

Gas hydraulic splitters?

(in 6 months when I have mostly recovered from recent shoulder surgery ;))

i like the core workout!

I may even add a gas powered hydraulic splitter to the mix of mauls, axes, pulaskis, 3 chainsaws, and two pickups...

chainsaw if it is that much (you can rent them) but a small forest axe would be good to have anyway, and something that can be passed down.

Gas hydraulic splitters?

i like the core workout!

I may even add a gas powered hydraulic splitter to the mix of mauls, axes, pulaskis, 3 chainsaws, and two pickups...
Me personally, I use standard hand held wedges and an 8# sledge. I can put the wedges right on a split, tap them in to start, then smack them with the sledge. Large rounds I use 2-3 wedges to split. I have a 10# maul, just never use it.

Gas hydraulic splitters?

i like the core workout!

I use a fiskars x27 splitting axe and a 8lb maul with a wedge.

The x27 is pretty fantastic. Go read some reviews.

Can't help with the hydraulic splitters. Always thought of getting one but never have.

I went on an axe buy recently because I had a shit load of aged mixed hardwood delivered for our fire pit this fall and early winter. I like to split some into smaller pieces and make some kindling.
I went with the Helko Werk Barvarian woodworker axe and their Rheinland hatchet.
They are really well made and seem stout as hell. Bit of a I want it but rather than a I need it, but I like cool handmade stuff.

I use a fiskars x27 splitting axe and a 8lb maul with a wedge.

The x27 is pretty fantastic. Go read some reviews.

Can't help with the hydraulic splitters. Always thought of getting one but never have.
yes the x27 is a great tool. I have one and it splits everything, even the toughest twisted black locust. Of course, the user is supplying the energy, meaning its a great workout like @Redmanss said above.