• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC 20" 338LM weight vs 27"

OH58DViper

Resumé- have Apache, lacks conscience, will travel
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Getting bored and thinking of buying yet another barrel for the AXMC. Thinking of picking up a 20" 338 LM and am curious as to the weight difference from a 27". Anyone have both and if so how do you like the 20 vs the 27? I rarely shoot over 1300 yds so I'm not too worried about the velocity difference.

Another quick question, those of you using 285 ELD's, can you touch the lands at mag length? I'm .100 off with 300 OTM's at mag length and for whatever reason it vexes me even though it's accurate.

Not necessarily after light weight, just curious as to the difference in weight between the afore mentioned options. I found the answer on eurooptics site. 12.4 for 20” and 13.8 for 27”. Do you know of anyone that stocks proof barrels for the large tenon? I’d definitely be down for a proof for sure.

I have an AXMC with the factory 20" barrel in 338LM. I don't have the 27" barrel. It is noticeably light for a cannon such as it is and much shorter than most rifles in this ballpark, comparing it to an MRAD and TRG in 338LM I have owned. If you carry your rifles farther than the truck to a table or mat a few feet a way a pound or two lighter is huge. It also is not as nose heavy as the 24", 26" or 27" barrels.

I shoot Berger 250gn OTM Tac's, getting 2750fps with exceptional accuracy. At an OAL of 10thou off the mag I am 90thou off the lands, so experiencing the same thing. According to AB Mobile the 250's stay supersonic until 1450m. Enough for me.

I ended up ordering a 26” proof prefit direct from proof, it’s should be here by the 5th of December, so says the invoice anyways. The weight saving are in the 3lb region from my calculations, I just wish they offered a 20” and different thread patterns. I guess I’ll just sell the 27 and both brakes on the cheap, wish the FB Gen 2 was compatible but it’s 18x1.5 and the proof is 5/8x24. If I like the balance im going to order a 6.5 and 6 CM and sell my steel barrels.

Let us know how you like the proof. I. Run the 20 and the 27...love the 20” for packing around the mountains and is a great 800 yard elk slammer

I ended up ordering a 26” proof prefit direct from proof, it’s should be here by the 5th of December, so says the invoice anyways. The weight saving are in the 3lb region from my calculations, I just wish they offered a 20” and different thread patterns. I guess I’ll just sell the 27 and both brakes on the cheap, wish the FB Gen 2 was compatible but it’s 18x1.5 and the proof is 5/8x24. If I like the balance im going to order a 6.5 and 6 CM and sell my steel barrels.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the proof. I have a 24" 338 on my MRAD. At times I wish I had the 26" heavy barrel for more velocity/recoil reduction. Thats just, "The grass is greener on the other side." I couldn't be happier. The rifle balances really well. I have carried the rifle around hunting w/sling. Any heavier and it would be a no go.

Proof Quality is A+

Carbon is beautiful!!!

Yeah I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I’ll post weight differences, throat measurements, balance point, accuracy review, and pics when I get it in. Gotta order a FB gen 2 for it soon. Don’t really want to play with it without a good brake. If I could get a 20” Proof I would love it but beggers can’t be choosers.....