• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC - any issues with smaller cartridges?

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    Like so many others, I'm thinking of making the leap and sell a half dozen rifles and maybe a few scopes to get a multi-caliber AI.

I'm thinking I would like a 308 barrel for practice and a 6.5 Creed for matches, and maybe a 6mm Creed once my current match rifle wears out. For this, it's my understanding that I could go either the AT or AX, based on preference and budget and whether I need the full rail and buttstock adjustment of the more expensive AX.

Now, I also have a 338LM rifle with scope that I could sell and go with the AXMC, but I'm not sure how often I'd shoot the big bore. I also have a Bighorn long action setup currently chambered for 7mm Rem Mag, I guess no reason I couldn't sell that and get a barrel for AXMC. That's getting up to like 8 rifles to sell and 2 or 3 scopes, hope I'm not putting too many eggs in one basket. :)

Would there be any down sides to the AXMC if I shot 308 / Creedmoor cartridges 90% of the time? Is the mag well insert problematic, or the bolt throw, feeding issues, etc.? Are there trigger differences, or bolt / firing pin differences, which could be negative for my plan?

Thanks.

Every once in awhile I will short stroke the axmc bolt throw with short action cartridges and fail to pick up a round. Sometimes with my ax mags loaded with 11 rounds, if the last round is seated all the way to the rear, the bolt may or may not pick up the 11th round but it only happens to the last round in the mag. Other than this, the mag adapters are very reliable and sturdy and work really well.

I have 0 pressure issues with 308 or 6.5 creed loaded with stout charges using the stock lfp bolt set up. A little cratering on primers but nothing to be concerned about.

I just started dabbling with 6mm creed and I am getting some decent but not horrible cratering with 105 bthp with a 41 gr charge of h4350. This load is only pushing these 105s 2980 fps and I should be able to get 3100fps np according to most published load data. Any faster and I think I'll start popping primers. Its not worth chewing up the bolt face and firing pin imo. Get your bolt brushed and firing pin turned to shoot 6mm or be prepared to stick with 6.5 and 308.

With all that said I absolutely love my axmc and it has been worth every penny. Barrel poi changes are reliable within .1 mils every time the key is to torque the barrel screw the same every time. I found that AIs torque is a little low and if I go 55 in lbs, the poi shifts between calibers is 100% repeatable and are all less than .2 mils of my 6.5 creed zero.

Reactions: pfl338
    I'm getting some weird failure to feed with my AXMC with the mag adapter and 308 conversion. The rounds appeared to leave the feed lips on a steep angle. I have used multiple AX mags and all share the same issue on the AXMC. The same AX mags ran flawlessly on my AX308, I'm about to pull the trigger on the new ASR mag to see if it would fix the issue.

Last edited:
    I'm getting some weird failure to feed with my AXMC with the mag adapter and 308 conversion. The rounds appeared to leave the feed lips on a steep angle. I have used multiple AX mags and all share the same issue on the AXMC. The same AX mags ran flawlessly on my AX308, I'm about to pull the trigger on the new ASR mag to see if it would fix the issue.
    What mag adapter does your rifle have. Plastic or the metal one? Mine only had an issue not feeding with the plastic adapter

What mag adapter does your rifle have. Plastic or the metal one? Mine only had an issue not feeding with the plastic adapter
    Metal one, pale brown in color. I didn't know that they have plastic ones though.

Like what Huskydriver said, my issues have been me short stroking the bolt. Nothing i could fault the rifle for, just the driver.

Get the AI ASR 308 magazine. You don’t need your mag adapter anymore. The ASR 308 mag is same outer dimension of the 338lm mag.

Like what Huskydriver said, my issues have been me short stroking the bolt. Nothing i could fault the rifle for, just the driver.
    I might need more time behind the wheel, I'm used to the small action ones. That could be the problem. I need to setup a camera so i can catch myself inducing it.

I have shot 338LM, 260, and 6CM out of my AXMC without problem. I use the metal mag adaptor and it works fine for me. I actually just ordered a 308 barrel so I can shoot it more.