• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC vs AXSA

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
How big of a difference is there in these guns if running a short action length cartridge. Here is what I have been able to come up with, tell me if there is anything else.

1 1 Lb heavier (using the weights listed on Eurooptic. The AI website doesn't list rifle weights)
2 Large Firing Pin that may have pierced primer problems on 6.5 Creedmore
3 1/2" longer bolt travel

Is there anything else? I am curious how much better the AXSA is for short action cartridges. If I get an AXMC for my .338 Lapua will I feel like I am shortchanging myself when I run SA cartridges.

I run sa cartridges 75% of the time in my axmc. Mag adapters work great feeds reliably. If you wanted to run hot 6.5 or 6mm loads you will need the sfp in the sa set up more than likely.

i have both, and the book says that the MC is only a little heavier but it feels alot more than that.
im not running and gunning with the MC but some guys get crazy about weight.
other than that they are the same.
bolt throw is irrelevant, if you cant cycle a bolt properly then you have issues LOL.
ive also gotten rid of 2 long action rifles since ive had my AXMC, if that helps.

You've pretty much listed all of the major points. Weight difference is negligible and so is the bolt throw. Having said that, because a majority of my shooting is under 1200 meters I stuck with the SA because I don't have a huge need for the larger calibers and when I do, I'll just get another rifle and have it dedicated to the longer action calibers. If that isn't financially feasible than obviously, the AXMC makes for an attractive solution.

My long action AI has has had about 10,000 short action rounds through it without much drama. It pierced the primers on one batch of 260 Rem, but I shortened the firing pin and haven’t pierced a primer since.

I like the bigger footprint of the long action when prone, and I prefer the heft of the rifle to the short actions.

It’s not the easiest to shoot from a barricade, but the smoothness of the action and the stability when prone makes movers pretty straightforward.

How much of a difference does it "feel" like when running the MC vs SA? I know that is subjective and the numbers aren't much different.

Is there anything else? I am curious how much better the AXSA is for short action cartridges. If I get an AXMC for my .338 Lapua will I feel like I am shortchanging myself when I run SA cartridges.

The AXMC can do it all and at similar weight / size to the SA version (a negligible bit different) however there are 2 specific things where you might consider the short action:

1. The large firing pin. If you run some of the high pressure cartridges loaded hot, you may run into an issue of piercing primers. You can send the bolt in to a 3rd party to have it bushed if you wish (you'll need to send all your bolts & the firing pin at the same time.
With the AX Short Action, (and the AT I think) you can get the small firing pin from the factory.

2. The AXMC uses a bigger diameter barrel shank than the Short Action for the barrels and as such you can't use the many cheaper AX (Short Action) and AT barrels that come up for sale here from time to time, but have to get the usually a bit more expensive ones designed for the AXMC.

Reactions: Mountainbum
The AXMC can do it all and at similar weight / size to the SA version (a negligible bit different) however there are 2 specific things where you might consider the short action:

1. The large firing pin. If you run some of the high pressure cartridges loaded hot, you may run into an issue of piercing primers. You can send the bolt in to a 3rd party to have it bushed if you wish (you'll need to send all your bolts & the firing pin at the same time.
With the AX Short Action, (and the AT I think) you can get the small firing pin from the factory.

2. The AXMC uses a bigger diameter barrel shank than the Short Action for the barrels and as such you can't use the many cheaper AX (Short Action) and AT barrels that come up for sale here from time to time, but have to get the usually a bit more expensive ones designed for the AXMC.

The two reasons listed are why I'm looking into picking up an AT as well if the one comes up on the hide when I have the coin.

So it sounds like the only real reason to get the AXSA is the firing pin issue. How big a deal is this? I shoot the Hornady factory 147gr ELD in my tikka and planned on continuing to shoot that round.

Also, Euro Optic has two different styles of replacement barrels. One says 2018 Profile. What is the difference between that and the standard profile?

Never had factory ammo pierce a primer in either my ax308 or axmc.
6br, 260, 308, 300wm, 338 lm
That's using federal, black hills, RWS, RUAG, hornady, corbon, hunting shack or copper creek ammo.
I don't reload much anymore, factory stuff is so good now and time is short.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the deal is on the different barrel profiles on Euro optic?

On a sidenote, I just put a Vudoo Apparition on order built to replicate the AI.

If I'm not mistaken the 2018 profile is supposed to be thicker

How big of a difference is there in these guns if running a short action length cartridge. Here is what I have been able to come up with, tell me if there is anything else.

1 1 Lb heavier (using the weights listed on Eurooptic. The AI website doesn't list rifle weights)
2 Large Firing Pin that may have pierced primer problems on 6.5 Creedmore
3 1/2" longer bolt travel

1. I’ve got weights for chassis (action and chassis minus forend tube) forend tubes, rails and barrels for both (24” 6.5 creed AXMC and 24” 6.5x47 AXSA) written down when I took them both apart and weighed them. It’s not quite a pound. The action/chassis is about 5oz more IIRC the barrels are a few ounces more. The forend tibe and top rail is a few ounces more too but you also have to consider that it’s 16” vs 13”. You can put the 13” on the AXMC and vise versa but the MC comes with a 16” and the SA a 13”.

2. Stick with large primer brass and don’t run nuclear loads and you won’t have a problem.

3. The bolt travel isn’t 3.5” longer, it’s about 1/2” longer and I promise you won’t notice it when you’re running it.

I had an AXMC, then got a AXSA because I wanted to run 6.5x47 and needed the small primer for that. In hind sight I wish I had just kept the AXMC and ran 6.5 and 6 Creed with large primer brass and called it good. I have practically zero use or need for a magnum but it’s nice to have just for fun, at this point I’m not turning back but one day I might be tempted to snag another MC.

I’d just get your AXMC 338 and the conversion and be happy.