• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXSR , pictures taken at my local gun shop

the_oleksandr

Fortis fortuna adiuvat 🔱
Supporter
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
California
Hello Hide,

This is a brand new AXSR, I took these pictures at my local gun shop.

Is it acceptable for the barrel and chassis no be misaligned to such extent?

I imagine it’s not normal, but want to hear your opinion. Should one expect perfect symmetry from AI these days? With the barrel and the rail not in line perfectly can this even be considered to be a tool of accuracy?

FDD724E2-820C-49BE-BC5B-01DE5AE3752D.jpeg

580C51A3-50EE-486B-A87B-9EDC660ED23D.jpeg
871B7AD6-80DC-4DDC-A934-10DC3BE36D97.jpeg
8D4BE2CF-7833-4E1E-AB7C-545667523AA3.jpeg

Is it a really good deal?
If so buy it and then carefully remove the barrel and put it back on correctly.

If there is still a problem customer service for AI will take care of it.

Is it a really good deal?
If so buy it and then carefully remove the barrel and put it back on correctly.

If there is still a problem customer service for AI will take care of it.
Tried that, the barrel was on correctly and the screw was at the correct tension.

I took the barrel out and tightened back up, same offset in alignment.

This isn’t a barrel issue. The action and chassis mate together on a flat plane, so if the action screws aren’t torqued with the barreled action centered it can be off center in relation to the handguard. Mine was this way out of the box too.

The optic, action and barrel are all still on the same plane so it’s not functionally detrimental.

Just crack the action screws loose, center and re-tighten. Easy peasy.

Reactions: BurtG
And @SuperBoot is correct, if you loosen the 4 front action screws you can make sure it is centered and tighten. Worked on mine.

This isn’t a barrel issue. The action and chassis mate together on a flat plane, so if the action screws aren’t torqued with the barreled action centered it can be off center in relation to the handguard. Mine was this way out of the box too.

The optic, action and barrel are all still on the same plane so it’s not functionally detrimental.

Just crack the action screws loose, center and re-tighten. Easy peasy.
Thank you for sharing your experience, I’ll try it.

And @SuperBoot is correct, if you loosen the 4 front action screws you can make sure it is centered and tighten. Worked on mine.
Don’t have much experience with factory bolt action rifles, but my inexperienced expectation was that a $10k rifle comes already straight and QC’d from the manufacturer 😅

Don’t have much experience with factory bolt action rifles, but my inexperienced expectation was that a $10k rifle comes already straight and QC’d from the manufacturer 😅

Lol, look around and there are a few threads on AI's coming a little dinged up sometimes.

I've had my action off a few times, so that was on me.

At least it’s not bonded. I’ve seen this with brand new AXMCs too. Not usually as noticeable with the factory barrels. Screw in a heavier profile and its quite noticeable. For the money, I agree, they should be dead centre, especially left/right.

At least it’s not bonded. I’ve seen this with brand new AXMCs too. Not usually as noticeable with the factory barrels. Screw in a heavier profile and its quite noticeable. For the money, I agree, they should be dead centre, especially left/right.

Why can’t the end user center it? Every time you take the barrel shroud off you’ll have to center it. Every time you take the action out of the chassis you’ll have to center it. It’s not an issue.

Eventually you’re going to need to take the tires and wheels off your automobile. Who cares if they’re on wonky from the factory?

Reactions: Hennig
Eventually you’re going to need to take the tires and wheels off your automobile. Who cares if they’re on wonky from the factory?

I assume this is sarcasm…?

I bought the rifle because I have the capacity to deal with the issue.

BUT, I fundamentally disagree with the logic where it’s “ok” to have it come off the factory like that. What will happen, is the QC issues will stick to the brand, which in turn will have an impact on civ sales. My first high caliber rifle was as a Savage 110 and it was straight. (1/10 the price)

If regular Joe can adjust the rifle to be straight at home with basic tools, Benjamin at the factory should also be able to do so. Because it matters for the brand their product represents.

Especially since this seems to be a recent issue.

Also, I have yet to confirm what the issue actually is.

Only thing that was confirmed: the action rail is aligned with the bore while the handrail end is off.

500-1000-1500yd range might not have huge impact but at 2 - 2.5 miles it will.

This issue is pending

I have no dog in this fight at all, but would you seriously pick up a new vehicle from a dealership, notice the balance is off and say fuck it I'll worry about it myself when I'm home? I wouldn't even let Honda get away with that shit

It’s not a QC issue. It takes a second to align at the end user level. You have to do this every time you take the barrel shroud off. Stop being a petty Karen.

Yes, sure, it’s not a QC issue. You win.

Things should come misaligned from manufacturers. Makes sense! 👍🏻

I choose life of standards. You do you bud.

Move along…

Why can’t the end user center it? Every time you take the barrel shroud off you’ll have to center it. Every time you take the action out of the chassis you’ll have to center it. It’s not an issue.
Yeah that’s cool if you can easily centre it by loosening some screws and repositioning. What I was getting at was I’ve seen this with the bonded rifles too. Not as easy with the bonded rifles.

To those saying it’s not an issue… LOL. Ever ran a clip on?

A rifle shouldn’t come from the factory with a misaligned chassis/barrel whether it’s a $1k rifle or a $10K rifle. That’s just sloppy “fuck it send it out the door” labor. The end user shouldn’t have to align it either.

I’m a big fan of AI but I absolutely would have refused that rifle if it showed up at my dealer simply because I don’t know for certain if it’s an alignment issue or an out of spec part without taking it about and messing with it.

To those saying it’s not an issue… LOL. Ever ran a clip on?

A rifle shouldn’t come from the factory with a misaligned chassis/barrel whether it’s a $1k rifle or a $10K rifle. That’s just sloppy “fuck it send it out the door” labor. The end user shouldn’t have to align it either.

I’m a big fan of AI but I absolutely would have refused that rifle if it showed up at my dealer simply because I don’t know for certain if it’s an alignment issue or an out of spec part without taking it about and messing with it.

Youre a big fan but you dont Know how this works? Ever zeroed a turret on a scope? Ever adjusted tension on a qd lever?

this is the same thing. There is a little wiggle room in the barrel shroud channel. You loosen 2 screws on the chassis and it moves side to side. Center it on the barrel and tighten the screws. It takes a couple of seconds. What is so hard???

It would be best if they had an alignment jig at the factory for installation. Also AXSR is assembled in 'Merica not England. The action is imported from England but the chassis is made in the US, barrels chambered in the US and final assembly and QC is US.

And it should be the alignment of the action to the chassis which needs tweaking. The handguard bolts to the chassis in a V-channel so it should self align with adjustment not being practical.

Reactions: the_oleksandr
You should do a test with the barrel off center or centered with the clip on.

Report back on results
That’s exactly the plan. My intent is to test the factory barrel then aftermarket barrel before attempting any adjustments. Test both barrels with NV and Thermal clip on see if there is a lateral shift.

Reactions: BurtG
Just undo the front 4 action screws, center, and retorque. I had to do this on mine. It is basically cosmetic since the action rail and barrel always maintain alignment. Had no issues with a clip on before or after I did this, but it was just bugging me cosmetically. Was easy to do since the AXSR isn’t bonded.