• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ayn Rand.

Once I found out that book is what inspired that song I read the book. I have been a HUGE Rush fan for years....going back to their hayday in the 70's and 80's. You had country guys, Zepplin guys and Rush guys. We all had that circle from the can of chew with Jack in it back in high school....stupidity.

A great many of Rush's songs are just fantastic and tell you something, fantastic words. Listen to Subdivisions, or Limelight and the words in there. If you just think of the words to Limelight it will give you chills.
I used to get chills from rush songs. I like analog kid from subdivisions or the weapon. I only know about ayn rand b/c of rush as a 13 year old. Lakeside park.

I was a rush freak back in like 81-89

Well, she was ardently pro choice so she got one thing right.

And I’m not a “commie moonbat” but her writing sucks, her books are fictional flights of fancy, and her philosophy of selfishness fails on the same points of lack of human integrity as communism. So, same shit, different name.

But worshipping her books’ characters has the same flavor as worshipping 45 so it’s real popular on here.
guess you're not John Galt, but you clearly missed the message.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
guess you're not John Galt, but you clearly missed the message.
When I read the book and made it known that I was someone told me you are going to find just two kinds of people.

One that for ease I will say "just don't get it" you could say it other ways but this one is about as nice as you can say it, forgetting for a moment where I am.

The other will say, told ya so, with a sprinkling of one of the first books to be burned in a few years.

Reading Fountainhead now. Howard Roark just took pencil to the watercolor that just cost him yet another job. This is where I am, again totally blind going in, not sure if he will go back to be Mr. Modern and make the building on the bolder for the new client.

I am finding this one a bit rougher.

Well, she was ardently pro choice so she got one thing right.

And I’m not a “commie moonbat” but her writing sucks, her books are fictional flights of fancy, and her philosophy of selfishness fails on the same points of lack of human integrity as communism. So, same shit, different name.

But worshipping her books’ characters has the same flavor as worshipping 45 so it’s real popular on here.

That’s exactly what a commie moonbat would say. Good thing you identify as “not” one. Poking fun of course.

Yes she preaches selfishness BUT there is no such thing as pure altruism anyway. She pushes competency. Not relying on others or forcing others against their will. Seems like a pretty nice way to move about society.

Basically get your shit done and don’t be a dick. Which just happens to be very similar message for many of the religions out there…weird/ironic. Hahaha!

Tell me one thing any human has done ever that was completely selfless/purely altruistic and I will tell you how you are wrong.

I like how you said fictional flights of fancy…that’s a great description. Well said.

To the OP: I read Atlas Shrugged back when I was 14 or 15. Also Das Kapital and Islandia same year. They were also great tough reads with a polar opposite spin. I would suggest both. As you can see by my handle I prefer the objectivist side over the commie moonbat side though…hahaha!

It’s good to read different stuff. Gets you thinking. Just try not to radicalize on one side or the other…unless you are in an echo chamber you will come off as a moron.

Reactions: lash
That’s exactly what a commie moonbat would say. Good thing you identify as “not” one. Poking fun of course.

Yes she preaches selfishness BUT there is no such thing as pure altruism anyway. She pushes competency. Not relying on others or forcing others against their will. Seems like a pretty nice way to move about society.

Basically get your shit done and don’t be a dick. Which just happens to be very similar message for many of the religions out there…weird/ironic. Hahaha!

Tell me one thing any human has done ever that was completely selfless/purely altruistic and I will tell you how you are wrong.

I like how you said fictional flights of fancy…that’s a great description. Well said.

To the OP: I read Atlas Shrugged back when I was 14 or 15. Also Das Kapital and Islandia same year. They were also great tough reads with a polar opposite spin. I would suggest both. As you can see by my handle I prefer the objectivist side over the commie moonbat side though…hahaha!

It’s good to read different stuff. Gets you thinking. Just try not to radicalize on one side or the other…unless you are in an echo chamber you will come off as a moron.

Thanks for the other suggestions, almost done with Fountainhead. Spoilers, so don't read if you don't want it ruined.

Not to give too much away, but Gail just "caved". He was walking bought a copy of The Banner and read the first page, the article written by "him", that he just read for the first time. I was falling asleep. You know when you read the same page 4 times but don't remember anything about it. I so wanted to know what would happen. Wonder what Roark and Dominique are going to say.

I should put this in the "book report" thread but eh I am here. I had wondered what would happen to Katy. Found Peter to be a total D-bag, not that he was not already but that was a supreme dick move. I felt so sorry for her. What happened in the end is what I figured would happen, living with that slug Toohey.

I wonder what is going to happen at the trial.

When Peter is on the rocks and Toohey comes to see him, you can see her writing style in there very clear. They talk about the monolog(s) in Atlas, you get a taste of what is to come in Atlas with Toohey's "speech" to Peter after he hands over the paper.

Wonder what is going to happen Roark I doubt knows about that.

I can see how you could think that, but I can't agree. I see Johnson as the change to what we have now.

I see all of those "programs" as nothing more then to "get people on the .gov cheeze". And I think those at the top of the Johnson admin knew that once you get those people in your pocket, you have them forever and they will always back you. I don't know if it is true or not, but when talking about a given minority and voting he was to have said, if they are going to vote lets make sure they vote for us. Like I said not sure if it is true or not, but from what I know of the man, yea I can see it happening. I have a very dim view of the man and that is before he picked his dogs up by the ears.

Quite possibly those who created and administered these programs thought, "This could help people." But the first priority was, and always will be political.

Reactions: Enough Said
They give no fucks except for votes.

I WANT to think there are people that will do the right thing because it is the right thing and no other reason. I also think that there are a great many people that go to DC with the idea, I will change things, then the seduction happens and it all goes out the window. I think there is only a hand full of people there that actually are doing what they think is the right thing for the country, and that is counting both parties.

I WANT to think there are people that will do the right thing because it is the right thing and no other reason. I also think that there are a great many people that go to DC with the idea, I will change things, then the seduction happens and it all goes out the window. I think there is only a hand full of people there that actually are doing what they think is the right thing for the country, and that is counting both parties.

I applaud your optimism.

I applaud your optimism.
I am going to hold tight onto that optimism, the only other thing to hang onto after that is all gone I personally am not there yet, not sure I will ever get there, or if it will even happen in my lifetime. That other thing speaks another language, generally measured in grains. After it starts talking it is going to be very long and painful to get to a point where it no longer is the one doing all the talking.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I found Ayn's novels to be terrible fiction, though I appreciate the fundamentals of her philosophy.

"Capitalism The Unknown Ideal" and "The virtue of Selfishness" are vastly more worthwhile to read.

Reactions: mosin46
now I am thinking I am really too old for any real game.
I see real old dudes at PRS matches now and then.

You should try one it’s a blast. Go to club matches they are more laid back. Lots have beginner matches now also.

Can do center fire matches or .22

Reactions: lash
I see real old dudes at PRS matches now and then.

You should try one it’s a blast. Go to club matches they are more laid back. Lots have beginner matches now also.

Can do center fire matches or .22
My issue is nerve damage on my left side, I have real issues off handing a Nylon 66, I am just too shakey. Everything I do now, everything long gun is now done off a bench. I just can't hold it.

I can do about a half a round of sporting clays, after that I just waste ammo......sitting here thinking about it make that about a quarter round. Gun down, pull up quick shoot down again. Holding it up there is just a non starter. I can never go first, I need to see a few before I can go or I just am not quick enough from basically a low ready to on target.

I found Ayn's novels to be terrible fiction, though I appreciate the fundamentals of her philosophy.

"Capitalism The Unknown Ideal" and "The virtue of Selfishness" are vastly more worthwhile to read.
They can be a tad....wordy..... I guess I would say.

When I was reading them someone told me you need to think of when they are written. Fountainhead I think was written in the late 30's, and published in the 40's. In the 1930's the world was so different from today I doubt we could cope. You might see a photo in a magazine of New York city, in black and white, but to see anything past that....nope. Black and white movie perhaps. People just did not go places, so lots of words to get the idea across. Quite a few times I found myself saying.....I get it lets move along now please. Readers today are different from readers yesterday. Atlas was the 50's. And yes you had people that moved around in the war, but still, that was a pretty limited deal on what you saw. You might stop over here or there, but still no TV for most people, radio still fairly new. It was just the style of the time. And she was Russian, they are just wordy.

Anthem I found fairly quick going. You can kill it on a rainy afternoon. It goes pretty quick.

I would be interested in knowing the why you find them horrid. Usually it is the length. If that is it I would say give Anthem a go, it is pretty quick going, but it can be confusing at first.