• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Back and forth on load

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
When I originally got my "Dicks Special" SPS Varmint in 308 (the black friday version) it came with I believe a 26" 1:12 twist barrel. I've worked up a pretty good load using 4064 and 155 scenars for it as such, but have since decided to take it to the smith. Dropped the rifle off at Hawk Hill customs for the action treatment, One of their 24" 1:11 barrels and a few other odds and ends. I'm now trying to decide whether I want to stick with the 155 scenars, or jump up to a 175-180 grain pill. My ultimate goal is to shoot in some tactical matches, so my objective range is out to 1000yds. Anyone with experience in the matter have any advice on whether I should work up another 155 load, or change?

Current inventory:
~300 pcs Hornady match brass
1800 Fed 210 (not "M") primers
~ 100 Berger 185 juggernauts
~ 100 Berger 155.5 Fullbores
~ 300 155 Scenars
7lbs 4064
3lbs Benchmark
2lbs Varget
2lbs RL15
3lbs RL17
2lbs 8208xbr

I don't mind having to pick up some projectiles, whether they be 175smk's or something else, but I'd prefer to work with powders on hand. Of that, the 4064 would be ideal, since I have 7lbs of lot matching powder.

When I originally got my "Dicks Special" SPS Varmint in 308 (the black friday version) it came with I believe a 26" 1:12 twist barrel. I've worked up a pretty good load using 4064 and 155 scenars for it as such, but have since decided to take it to the smith. Dropped the rifle off at Hawk Hill customs for the action treatment, One of their 24" 1:11 barrels and a few other odds and ends. I'm now trying to decide whether I want to stick with the 155 scenars, or jump up to a 175-180 grain pill. My ultimate goal is to shoot in some tactical matches, so my objective range is out to 1000yds. Anyone with experience in the matter have any advice on whether I should work up another 155 load, or change?

I don't mind having to pick up some projectiles, whether they be 175smk's or something else, but I'd prefer to work with powders on hand. Of that, the 4064 would be ideal, since I have 7lbs of lot matching powder.

I would like to know your recipe for the 155 Scenars.. I also have the same 26" SPS Varmint Black Friday Special like you, but I have had HORRIBLE results with anything less than 168's.. I havent tried Scenars, only 155 A-Max & 150 Hornady FMJBT's, but they shot like crap.. Oddly enough, the 1:12 twist is supposed to be better for lighter bullets, but the heavier I go, the better they shoot.. I've tested up through 175 Nosler CC's, and working up loads for 178 A-Max now.. I would really like to try out your 155 Scenar recipe, if its working for you..

For the record, my best recipie for 175 Nosler CC's, is 43.7gr Varget (2683 fps, low node). I also worked up IMR 4064 @ 44.3gr (2757 fps, high node).

Last edited:
I would like to know your recipe for the 155 Scenars.. I also have the same 26" SPS Varmint Black Friday Special like you, but I have had HORRIBLE results with anything less than 168's.. I havent tried Scenars, only 155 A-Max & 150 Hornady FMJBT's, but they shot like crap.. Oddly enough, the 1:12 twist is supposed to be better for lighter bullets, but the heavier I go, the better they shoot.. I've tested up through 175 Nosler CC's, and working up loads for 178 A-Max now.. I would really like to try out your 155 Scenar recipe, if its working for you..

For the record, my best recipie for 175 Nosler CC's, is 43.7gr Varget (2683 fps, low node). I also worked up IMR 4064 @ 44.3gr (2757 fps, high node).

Not sure if you've made any other modifications to your rifle, but I couldn't get anything to shoot in that factory noodle they called a stock. That was my first and foremost priority after bringing the rifle home. Go XLR and don't look back (no reason not to with their new chassis)

With that said, the best factory rounds I found for my gun were the Hornady Match loads shooting 168 AMAX bullets. As for hand loads, I was able to ring out a .320" 200 yard group using 43gr 4064, Hornady Match brass and 155 scenars with a OAL of 2.260, which is a COAL of about 2.850 (still a .100 jump to the lands). 42, 42.5 and 43 all put me sub 1/2 MOA, but depending on your brass you might need to alter the charge some. I'll gladly take sub 1/2 MOA out of a $450 barrel and action that wouldn't do much better than 1.5MOA on factory ammo.

Last edited:
Not sure if you've made any other modifications to your rifle, but I couldn't get anything to shoot in that factory noodle they called a stock. That was my first and foremost priority after bringing the rifle home. Go XLR and don't look back (no reason not to with their new chassis)

As for hand loads, I was able to ring out a .320" 200 yard group using 43gr 4064, Hornady Match brass and 155 scenars with a OAL of 2.085 (still a .100 jump to the lands). .

quick clarifications.. OAL = 2.085.. is that to the tip? or to the Ogive? Seems really short?

Group = 3 or 5 shots.. ?

quick clarifications.. OAL = 2.085.. is that to the tip? or to the Ogive? Seems really short?

Group = 3 or 5 shots.. ?

Sorry, I was a few beers in when I replied yesterday :) It's ~2.850 COAL. My Ogive length is 2.260. The 42, 42.5 and 43gr charges were 3 shot groups, .830 .630 & .320 respectively.

Attachments

• IMAG0350.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 17
I ran 178 amax to 1k yards with great success out of my 700p... Pushed it with 42.5 gr of IMR 4895.. Also had a load with varget at 44 gr... Both of these powders are almost identical burn rate as IMr 4064. I believe a general rule of thumb is .5 gr difference from 4895 to 4064... Not sure if + or - on that.. No problems with 4064 though it's a great powder... I'd stay away from RL powders for matches..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran 178 amax to 1k yards with great success out of my 700p... Pushed it with 42.5 gr of IMR 4895.. Also had a load with varget at 44 gr... Both of these powders are almost identical burn rate as IMr 4064. I believe a general rule of thumb is .5 gr difference from 4895 to 4064... Not sure if + or - on that.. No problems with 4064 though it's a great powder... I'd stay away from RL powders for matches..

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 175 SMK bullets specifically, since I know a lot of guys use them. They are also way more affordable than say 175 Scenar L's. I have way more 4064 than anything else. As a new reloader, I figured I probably wouldn't see a whole lot of difference between 4064 and say Varget, and the fact that I picked up a good bit of it @ $17/lb made it that much easier to swallow. Truthfully, I don't really have a place to get out much past 300 yards, so any shooting I do beyond that will have to be done at competitions.

I use 175's and have been out to 1K with no problem. my go to recipe is 44.3 IMR 4064 in Lake city LR brass with FGM210M primers. I wouldn't sweat the primers too much, I've gotten the exact same results with the regular federal 210's. I load to 2.8 COAL and get an average of 2735 out of my 24" 1:12 Schneider barrel.

I use 175's and have been out to 1K with no problem. my go to recipe is 44.3 IMR 4064 in Lake city LR brass with FGM210M primers. I wouldn't sweat the primers too much, I've gotten the exact same results with the regular federal 210's. I load to 2.8 COAL and get an average of 2735 out of my 24" 1:12 Schneider barrel.

How does LC brass compare to Hornady Match in terms of case capacity?

I started my prep routine on 100 pcs of once fired Fed brass from a few price gouged boxes of FGMM ammo I purchased before I started loading. Also just ordered 500 case of 175 smk's, so I'm thinking about loading them up to the FGMM recipe so I at least have something to shoot the day I pick my rifle up from the smith.

How does LC brass compare to Hornady Match in terms of case capacity?

I started my prep routine on 100 pcs of once fired Fed brass from a few price gouged boxes of FGMM ammo I purchased before I started loading. Also just ordered 500 case of 175 smk's, so I'm thinking about loading them up to the FGMM recipe so I at least have something to shoot the day I pick my rifle up from the smith.

I can't say as to the capacity. I know the Lake City LR brass is a bit thicker than others, but it seems to last longer as well. haven't had any complaints or ran into any problems with it.

Good to know, although I'm not sure I've ever seen LC brass for sale anywhere.

I'm not expecting many loads out of my Federal brass. I loaded up some 30-06 in Federal brass, and was pushing primers out by the second loading. If I'm not mistaken the Hornady Match brass has a higher case capacity that most others, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to burn slightly more powder.

Good to know, although I'm not sure I've ever seen LC brass for sale anywhere.

I'm not expecting many loads out of my Federal brass. I loaded up some 30-06 in Federal brass, and was pushing primers out by the second loading. If I'm not mistaken the Hornady Match brass has a higher case capacity that most others, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to burn slightly more powder.

yeah it's hard to find. best way is to just pick up some m118lr and fire through it.

Sorry, I was a few beers in when I replied yesterday :) It's ~2.850 COAL. My Ogive length is 2.260. The 42, 42.5 and 43gr charges were 3 shot groups, .830 .630 & .320 respectively.

That's damned nice shooting!