• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back here after 3y hiatus

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi everyone,

I used to post here a lot about 3y ago. Job changes and life changes -- anyway, now I'm in Texas and can shoot long range again. I have been in a communications hole for 3 years, so I'm just getting back to the forum.

I'm still a minute shooter to 800y and a bit rusty to 1K. My prior comp guns in Virginia were an Accuracy International .308 and a Clay Spencer 300WM. Now I need to restock the gun room.

Simple question -- what would you recommend as a good user switchable barreled action from which builder? I still want .308 due to barrel life, but I'd like to swap to 6.5 CM on my own. Is there something less expensive than AW? I'd prefer less than .75 MOA accuracy, and I'll do my part. Cost isn't so much an issue. I just want to build one gun to rule all my long range. Max distance is 1350y, but most of my shooting will be 700y-1k. I'm based in Dallas, TX. Thanks

Honestly just go with a 6.5 creed. Their barrel life ain’t that bad.

If you must get a .308 and still want a 6.5 just look at any of the top actions that offer prefits. It’s become very simple to do barrel changes at the house with the newer actions.

Honestly just go with a 6.5 creed. Their barrel life ain’t that bad.

If you must get a .308 and still want a 6.5 just look at any of the top actions that offer prefits. It’s become very simple to do barrel changes at the house with the newer actions.

This is what I’m doing…

I’m selling off 2-3 rifles and just going with an Origin action, .308 and magnum bolt head, and a barrel vise.

I don’t shoot a ton of precision, so this made more sense for me and is way more versatile.

If you're used to an AI, why not stay with that platform? It does everyone you are seemingly asking for - precise, can easily switch barrels.

If you want to play around with something different, there's loads of options. A rifle can be configured a million ways to Sunday these days, and it's not difficult to swap out barrels with the proper tools.

Ranges near you