• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back Pack .308 - Pics

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Ok... We are ALMOST FINISHED!

Here is the rifle as it sits currently.

Rem 700 AAC-SD 16" with AAC Single Port Brake
Action Cerekoted Tanish FDE
KRG Bolt Handle
NightForce 20 MOA base
Weaver Tac. Rings (6 screw)
Weaver Tac. GS 3x9-40 MIL/MIL
VTAC Sling
Butler Creek Flipups
BlackHawk Swivel/Tilt Bipod

*GOAL OF THIS*

I wanted a VERY light, accurate, durable and compact rifle for the vehicle and work use. But.. I wanted all of this with keeping the price affordable.

I knew the stock would be a weak link...so the NEW STOCK ( CHOATE FOLDER) is due in this week. I will update the picture when the stock is here.

I wanted something that would fold that would keep this as a TRUE Back Pack rifle but did NOT want to drop $700 to $1K in a stock.

The rifle has been shot in the current configuration and it LOVES Black Hills 175 Match and my reloads that mimic that round.

*I will look at updating the scope in the future to something that gives me a little more magnification... but I really like the low setting on this and the WEAVER is VERY VERY clear and repeatable.*

Hope you all like it and should be very very compact when the folder arrives.

Thanks
M (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Thats a very cool project and I think you have your head in the right spot on the rifle you selected I have the 20" version with the 1:10 AAC barel and its a mirical weapon for the price.
I do understand the pride in ownership angle of the big all boots in custom rifles and I have them too but Practicallity trumps all and the most powerful arguments against it fall short.
Im keen to see your shots with it in the folder thats for sure.

I live in Hot country too and being able to cover ground and not be loaded down is a ballance , I pondered on the perfect pack rifle and gave all kinds of options consideration , I love my TC pro hunter
rifle in 7 mag but its a long pipe and couldnt bring myself to trim her back the way she shoots , its not heavy but its not light and I have a stretch of country I use it for on Red stags where thats just fine.

But for a Pack rifle short , Light , Accurate , dependable and rugged the simplest is best because all these things are rarely found in one unit , I love the 308 and although I know it can perform wonders
at range I tend to use all its horse power at 200 and under and at these ranges it is a game taking sensation.

This is my 308 pack rifle a H&R handy with a 2.5-10x40 Nikon Monarch Cerakoated in FDE front to back ......... Is it expencive ..... Nup....... are the Optics Ultra Euro LR specials ...... Nup ........ Is the trigger a 1/4lb wonder ....... Nup

Have I had to shoot anything more than once with it ..................... NUP ;-)

Thats a very cool project and I think you have your head in the right spot on the rifle you selected I have the 20" version with the 1:10 AAC barel and its a mirical weapon for the price.
I do understand the pride in ownership angle of the big all boots in custom rifles and I have them too but Practicallity trumps all and the most powerful arguments against it fall short.
Im keen to see your shots with it in the folder thats for sure.

I live in Hot country too and being able to cover ground and not be loaded down is a ballance , I pondered on the perfect pack rifle and gave all kinds of options consideration , I love my TC pro hunter
rifle in 7 mag but its a long pipe and couldnt bring myself to trim her back the way she shoots , its not heavy but its not light and I have a stretch of country I use it for on Red stags where thats just fine.

But for a Pack rifle short , Light , Accurate , dependable and rugged the simplest is best because all these things are rarely found in one unit , I love the 308 and although I know it can perform wonders
at range I tend to use all its horse power at 200 and under and at these ranges it is a game taking sensation.

This is my 308 pack rifle a H&R handy with a 2.5-10x40 Nikon Monarch Cerakoated in FDE front to back ......... Is it expencive ..... Nup....... are the Optics Ultra Euro LR specials ...... Nup ........ Is the trigger a 1/4lb wonder ....... Nup

Have I had to shoot anything more than once with it ..................... NUP ;-)

I like it!

I want a backpack 308 too :( I would spend too much trying to make it light. (titanium action, carbon fiber wrapped barrel, carbon fiber stock, titanium suppressor)

Ok... After much waiting..... IF FINALLY HERE!. I came home this weekend to a package and was able to stick it all together real quick.

You can see the BEFORE picture at the very top....

A little explanation:

As mentioned this was to be a SMALL...durable rifle that I could pack... and all at the same time of keeping the price LOW!. I did NOT want a $1K stock...

The CHOATE was modded ONLY by drilling a small hole and placing a sling stud in the stock. It has been JB welded on the inside and around the screw. It is ROCK SOLID and will not move. I wanted the ability to use a bipode IF I needed or wanted it.

Fully Extended Length = 36"

Folded Length = 24" (26.1 at the push button for the folder) YES... ITS LEGAL LENGTH!

Hope you all like it!!!

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Last edited:
That Choate folder is fugly but I have had good results with Choate stocks. The only thing that really matters are the portability and the groups.

Well thought out looking rig there.

Folded Length = 24"

I would pull the action out of the stock and take your pictures down ASAP because your setup is very illegal unless registered as a SBR. The rifle must be 26" overall length or more when folded unless it renders the gun inoperable and is unable to fire. That stock does not. It's a felony both on a state and federal level.

Last edited:
Its legal. Measurement was stopped at the rear tang. If measured to the rear nut (push button of the folder) its 26.1"

Matt.

If you're measuring it with the brake, that doesn't count unless it's permanently attached, it's from the muzzle. R700 short action is 7.90" and a 16" barrel would add approx 15" since it threads in about 1" which gives about 23" for the barreled action. Judging the length of the tang by the bolt shroud it looks to be about another 1.5" but let's call it 2" that gives a total of 25". I don't see any way that rifle is legal unless you have pinned and welded the brake and even then I don't think the single chamber AAC adds an inch to the OAL.

I tried to do this years ago with the same stock. I got the stock and had a 700ADL donor action ready to go, the plan was to chop as short as possible and have a light handy rifle. I ended up at 19" to make it the legal OAL.

The Rem 700 AAC are 16.5" at the muzzel WITHOUT the brake.

With the 26.1" its at the END of the muzzle (NO BRAKE) to the black push button of the stock.

Matt.

The Rem 700 AAC are 16.5" at the muzzel WITHOUT the brake.

With the 26.1" its at the END of the muzzle (NO BRAKE) to the black push button of the stock.

Matt.

I still don't believe it, my prior experience with that stock and some basic math tells me otherwise. If you want to flirt with a felony that's your problem, I was just looking out for you.

Dear __________________:

This is in reply to your correspondence which was received by the Firearms Technology Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), on January 30, 2008. In your letter you inquire about the attachment of a folding stock to a pistol having a barrel length of 16 inches or greater.

As background, 27 CFR Sec. 479.11 (Meaning of Terms) states, in part:

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

Based on this description of overall length and its correct measurement, ATF has taken the position that firearms having folding or collapsible stocks are properly measured for overall length with the stock fully extended.

In the situation you present, the attachment of a folding shoulder stock to a pistol having a barrel length of 16 inches or greater would be lawful as long as the overall length of the resulting firearm is at least 26 inches with the stock fully extended. We caution that, because the configuration you have specified results in the manufacture of a rifle, a subsequent reconfiguration of the firearm to a pistol configuration would result in a weapon made from a rifle, which is a weapon controlled by the National Firearms Act (NFA).

We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

John R. Spencer
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Killswitch,

Thank you!

I did the measurements 2 times. From the muzzel... NO BRAKE INSTALLED to the part just passed the BLACK BUTTON it is exactly 26.3". With the stock EXTENDED per ATF RULES it measures EXACTLY 36" whichs is WAY LONGER than legal length.

*Also.... if you can not tell by my NAME below. I am VERY sure that I will NOT violate a Federal Law for a simple weapons build. I made VERY sure that this is in spec with federal regulations before ordering the parts that are on it.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA)

There's an ATF ruling from a number of years ago that clearly says a folded stock does not contribute to the overall length of a long gun. An ATF ruling trumps a letter or email. That email may save your ass in court but it doesn't make it legal.

Redneckbmxer24,

IF from the barrel of my rifle (TIP) to the REAR of the meal making up the folding stock = 26.3" then there is NO ILLEGAL ISSUE.

I will settle this when I get home. I will UPDATE the listing with a picture of the rifle WITH a measuring tape showing the EXACT length FOLDED.

That would be great because I'm not going to believe it unless I see it. Like I said, I used the same stock with a Remington 700ADL 308 and the barrel had to be almost 19" to make it legal. Unless they have drastically changed the length of the stock at the tang, I don't see how yours would be different.

nice, legal, back pack rifle, i dont care what redneck thinks he knows, he is wrong anyway.
cheers.

OK....... After much debate.... here is the proof. PICTURES ATTACHED BELOW!

WE are well passed the 26" as there is STILL room at the grip (reason it is that big) and you can barely see the threads of the barrel if you look.

This should put the legality question to rest.

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I see it but I don't believe it, now I wonder why mine had to be 19". I still have the stock here somewhere, I'll dig it out and see what is different.

That would be great because I'm not going to believe it unless I see it. Like I said, I used the same stock with a Remington 700ADL 308 and the barrel had to be almost 19" to make it legal. Unless they have drastically changed the length of the stock at the tang, I don't see how yours would be different.

Who gives a flyin fuck what you believe and who the hell needs to prove shit to you? You've been pretty over aggressive about this guys post. Why don't you worry about your shit and go on?

Who gives a flyin fuck what you believe and who the hell needs to prove shit to you? You've been pretty over aggressive about this guys post. Why don't you worry about your shit and go on?

Pardon me for looking out for a fellow human being. Everything I knew including my experience with this same stock indicated his setup may not be legal.

my dick is 3.16 inches in length, measured from the base to the tip of the helmet, I can post pics with a kit kat next to it for reference if need be

If that's your intentions then why not state so and not be so adamant that he's fucking up even after showing you the measurement? I apologize if I was brash but it seems as though you were not satisfied with the proof if in fact there is any needed...I've seen nothing definitive from the ATF on it much like anything else they "opinion" on.

I was perfectly satisfied with the pics, they obviously showed that the rifle is legal.

my dick is 3.16 inches in length, measured from the base to the tip of the helmet, I can post pics with a kit kat next to it for reference if need be

Did you do a form 1 or form 4 SBR?

And who ruled that yours was a no go? Because you are wrong on all counts. His setup is LEGAL as the OAL of a rifle is measured with a stock fully extended. That is in for Q&A section of how to fill out a FORM 1 for the NFA Branch.

Ok... After much waiting..... IF FINALLY HERE!. I came home this weekend to a package and was able to stick it all together real quick.

A little explanation:

As mentioned this was to be a SMALL...durable rifle that I could pack... and all at the same time of keeping the price LOW!. I did NOT want a $1K stock...

The CHOATE was modded ONLY by drilling a small hole and placing a sling stud in the stock. It has been JB welded on the inside and around the screw. It is ROCK SOLID and will not move. I wanted the ability to use a bipode IF I needed or wanted it.

Folded Length = 24" (26.1 at the push button for the folder) YES... ITS LEGAL LENGTH!

Hope you all like it!!!

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Nice!

Where did you get the stock?

Damnit, Now I have to build one. The benefits are just to cool not to have one and I actually like the stock for its purpose. Its your gun and you have done the measuring so if you think or know its within specs then dont worry about having to prove it to the interweb police. Nice build!

Stock came from CHOATE.

Its # 22-01-27 (Remington S/A)

They should have some ready to go... they had to retool up for me as they had NOT made some in a while.

My contender in 300 whisper is way shorter with a 16 1/4 in. barrel and it is legal when I made it 5yrs ago ATF told me it is extend length and barrel length that they look at but that was 5yrs ago

Nice short back pack guns boys thanks for posting,before this thread gets closed for infighting!

Stock came from CHOATE.

Its # 22-01-27 (Remington S/A)

They should have some ready to go... they had to retool up for me as they had NOT made some in a while.

Thank you so much for the info! :)

It seems like a lot of places have sold out of those models, and now I understand why.

May not be the most sought after stock, but it fits a need/desire for some.

Thanks again.

Not a problem at all.

Your right... Its NOT an AICS or similar....but its UNDER $300.00 and its extremely durable. It has a full length aluminum bedding block. For my project it was EXACTLY what I wanted and will be heading to the range this week where I am sure it will NOT dissapoint.

hey, I really dig the look of your rifle...im curious how stable it will be at the fold when you go to the range to shoot it. please let us know how it does

Without shooting it as of yet... I CAN tell you that the button to fold it and unfold it is VERY sturdy and it take a decent about of pressure to push it in thus eliminating the possibility of it accidentally occurring.

Not a problem at all.

Your right... Its NOT an AICS or similar....but its UNDER $300.00 and its extremely durable. It has a full length aluminum bedding block. For my project it was EXACTLY what I wanted and will be heading to the range this week where I am sure it will NOT dissapoint.

I can't wait to read your range report. I have been looking to do this sort of setup for each one of my kids.

First off- OP - very nice build.

I cant help myself in asking- what kind of fps you getting? Range report, any troubles running it suppressed?

I was thinking of working on my load development....

A little explanation:

Hope you all like it!!!

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I am sold, going to build one just like yours.

Weight 19#'s. stiller Tac. 30 with a 28" bartlein #9 and an AICS 1.5 .308 Winchester.

null_zps0718e60b.png

My hunting rifle is going to be somewhat like this (minus the folding stock). It's a marlin xs7 with a .308 tube chopped at 16.5 for suppressor use. Need a better low mag scope and a heavy hitting .308 load and I'll be gtg.