• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Back to MT with the 308/198gr for 2000yds ELR!!!

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
Some of you might remember my prior thread on the subject of 308s and the Flatline 198gr bullet taken to 2000yds and beyond. Original thread from 2017 is here:

So I haven't touched this rifle since (unfortunately my disposable time is extremely limited) until several weeks ago when we decided to head back to Montana for a long-weekend of ELR shooting. I head out in a week but I am starting this thread now to discuss the results.

Concept remains the same: take a fairly run of the mill 308 and the magic 198gr Flatline bullet from Warner Tool and see if we can consistently make 1st, 2nd or 3rd round hits at man/animal sized targets at ranges out to and exceeding 2000yds. Conditions are deep in the bush in windy Montana, bringing only the gear we man-port on our rucks. We had great time and some success in the first trip back back in 2017.

Reminder on the rifle and load:
  • 308 Winchester built by Josh at PVA on a long-action Big Horn. 30" Hawk Hill barrel twisting at 8.7.
  • Manner T4A stock, with my nice workhorse Premier Tactical 5-25 on it. LRA bipod with the spiked craw feet (love this piece of kit).
  • 198gr Flatline doing 2805fps (at temp 88*F), from 47.0gr of MR2000 (thanks Lowlight), Lapua Palma brass, lit by CCI#41. SD/ES is 5 and 9 or so. See picture below of the 198gr next to a fired 308 case and a Flatline 180gr on the far left.
  • Using a Kestrel AB to solve for ballistic solutions. I'm using a custom drag curve that basically models a 0.417 G7 BC.
  • Ranges from my Vectronix PLRF10.
Our AO:
In National Forest land north and south of Bozeman. Targets are rocks that are 'chest sized' and the big mountains are berms. We will hike in mile or so for this action. Clearly the beautiful land is the biggest draw and being out operating in it is really special.

I like Bozeman - a lot - because it offers several outstanding craft beer options in addition to the great shooting venues. You can also find nice steak options at these spots, another bonus.

UPDATES TO FOLLOW, AS WE DO THE SHOOTING...

1568749731677.png

In addition to the data jbailey will derive from our trip to Montana, we will also be able to run some comparison data. My rifle will be right next to jbailey's but I'll be shooting a 7saum with 180grain Berger Hybrids over 61 grains of RL26 sending them at ~2950.

This is going to be interesting.

Reactions: brianf
Yes, Bozeman is a beautiful location I liked my time in Bozeman in the mid to late 80's. The beer I drank was either homebrewed or drawn from the tap at the Scoop, the craft brewing movement was in its infancy.

Bozeman isn't Montana anymore. Enjoy it while you can, as the hippies are doing their best to ruin it for us normal people.

Eastern MT is where it's at to stretch out.

Reactions: Milf Dots
You are right when you say Bozeman ain't what it used to be, I was back ther about 8 years ago and I was surprised how the town had changed, and not for the best.

Hey folks,
sorry for not posting up my AAR - very busy and I honestly forgot about this post. Anyway, thanks for the reminder, including the nice PM from @SPAK (sounds like you have a great build going - interested to hear the results as I have a 300WSM barrel in the safe). I will get working on an AAR, complete with some pics.

Regarding Bozeman- it is a college town, for sure, which may or may not be what you want. Also, economy is going great, with a noticeable impact on stuff like real estate prices and traffic. Again, this may or may not be good. But I do love the "city." Coming from Washington DC area, Bozeman is a refreshing living area with people with strong values and friendly attitudes. It also has modern amenities like great eating and drinking options, an efficient airport, and disposable income items like art, furniture and clothing. This combo of great people and great entertainment is rare.

Speaking of the area, I did stop in to see these boys: https://www.bigtimberworks.com/ I'm a timber framer wood worker when not shooting, working or being a dad. Big Timber illustrates my statements above - they were not only very friendly, but super helpful and willing to share their knowledge. They do some great work using traditional wood to wood joinery (rare these days and requiring lots of skill). If I am ever a MT landowner, these boys are going to do my house frame.

A preview picture of the one of the shooting venues (this is West Pine Creek, near Paradise Valley and the Yellowstone)... Hill in background is 1500 to 3000 yds away.

West Pine Creek.png