• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back to reloading, what press???

sako.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
daytona beach FL
ok so i am thinking about reloading again. i did fine when i did in past, BUT found that a single stage, and all work involved seemed not worth it. So now i am back into wanting to reload i am thinking there HAS to be a fast way over a singe stage and something more time effective.

So what press do you guess recommend for timeliness.

i want a multistage press, maybe if possible integrated powder thrower.

So what is the Big dog.

ALL reloading is for RIFLE calibers ONLY. .270,.308,.22-.250

For a progressive press, I am happy with my Dillon 550, I have had it for 9 years. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone with the 650. I use the Dillon primarily for pistols and 5.56. For my long range rifles, I use the Forster Co Ax. It makes changing dies a breeze and loads very straight rounds.

Just my two cents.

^ thanks

maybe i should also add i RARELY will load anything other than .308.

.270 is mainly hog gun
.22-.250 is if i want more stock

main work out would be .308 so die change is not a HUGE concern. even if it took 1-1.5 hr to setup but saves me hrs at the end to load 2-400 rds so be it

I would recommend a Forster as well for 308, but you obviously want a progressive press, so Dillon is the way to go. Fast when it comes to reloading is not always better. I enjoy taking my time and being precise and inspecting things as I go along.

Just pick one.

I will say this. By your statements; (You wrote "all work involved seemed not worth it.") you do not sound like somebody with the patience for hand loading. This is a tactile hobby, and (for me, at least) working with my hands provides a little therapy, for lack of a better word.

Some guys want to pull the handle and spend as little time doing it as possible. You need to think about your motivation. If you are driven by accuracy and the desire for custom loaded ammunition, that's one thing. However, if you think you will save a bunch of money, that kind of depends on your consumption. If you are a target shooter, or live targets, then possibly you might save some money over factory fodder. But, a good percentage of the progressive market, and reason, is devoted to handguns, something you did not list.

So to summarize: A desire for the most accurate ammunition is not particularly compatible with the statement: "has to be a fast way" and if economy is your interest, by the time you buy everything you need, it could take years before you reach "break even", unless you are a high volume shooter.

You have to like this stuff to get anything out of it. BB

Last edited:
oh dont get me wrong Harmon, i am not looking for light yrs faster BUT, hand weighing EVERY powder charge, depriming EVER case, Then hand priming EVERY case, then neck sizing EVERY case, then loading round takes FOREVER. (not in that order obviously)

i do enjoy the calmness and results of reloading. just NOT taking ALL DAY from start to finish 50-100 F'in rounds

and it is VERY possible that a few diff pcs of equip may have change the TOTAL time. prob a chargemaster, and a bigger tumbler or sonic cleaner would make a night and day diff

Last edited:
Sako, I use a Harrell's precision, to throw powder. I like the stainless Tumbler and that is what I use. I also use a Wilson trimmer, and 21 century hand priming tool. So, I do everything slow and one step at a time, but I enjoy it. I reload for my 260REM, 17REM, 17FB, 17AH, and 204R.

There are much faster ways, but I like it slow and steady.

I'm sure someone on here will give you some ideas to speed up some of the steps you mentioned, good luck..

I use the Dillon 550 and a Chargemaster and can load 150 or so in an hour if all goes well. If you use ball power you may be happy with the powder measure on the machine.

I say take a look at the Hornady lock n load AP press. I'm a Hornady guy in general and think they make some excellent products. I had a Dillon 450 once and gave the thing away. But now I'm thinking about picking up a Hornady progressive for my high volume rounds.

There are a few good choices, but you can't go wrong with Dillon. I've been very happy with my 550. Lightman

Charge master or two cuts down weighing time by leaps and bounds. Giraud would help the the trimming, but a cheaper alternative would be a world's finest trimmer would also cut down on trimming and be much cheaper than the Giraud. Also, this may be pretty simple but making sure you have enough brass so you can process the the brass in batches and not have to be processing brass everytime you reload

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Dillon 650 is what I use for higher volume. Pricey, mine was like $1200 with all the bells and whistles, but their customer service can't be beat. I have a RCBS Rockchucker for more precision, but recently snagged something I'd been eyeing for years, a Redding T-7. Less time changing dies, more time reloading.

From your post, sounds like a Dillon 650 would quench your thirst. Make sure you get the case feeder.

I don't use my dillon for .308 precision. I guess you could but, like others have said, it's hard to measure powder accurately with the Dillon powder measure and there is so much prep that it just wouldn't be worth it for 100 rounds or so. I use the Dillon for my .223 stuff with ball powder but you still have to trim and prep brass. I usually wet tumble after sizing to get the lube off. Once you get all the prep done then it's way faster than a single stage.

If your wanting something faster than a single stage, but don't want to drop the coin on a Progressive, the take a hard look at the Lee Turret. It can be had for under $100 and it works well for me. I also have a single stage and I use it too. I do all my decapping on it and all of my precision rifle reloads on it. Conversions for one caliber to the next is a breeze. I use the Hornady powder drop with the turret press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for all the advise. i think a 550 and maybe a few diff pcs of equip from my last setup will deff make my total time cut down alot. again i am not looking nor thinking of setting world records for QUALITY reloads. maybe my OP wording was not correct. maybe more time effective is a better wording. looking back i think my prep and powder weighing methods aee what made it seem VERY time consuming.

i deff think the 550 w/proper attachments, a larger shaker/cleaner, and fast powder measurements will make ALL the differance.

Last edited:

plz show me were i EVER said i dont want to drop the coin for a proper press?

thanks for all the advise. i think a 550 and maybe a few diff pcs of equip from my last setup will deff make my total time cut down alot. again i am not looking nor thinking of setting world records for QUALITY reloads. maybe my OP wording was not correct. maybe more time effective is a better wording. looking back i think my prep and powder weighing methods aee what made it seem VERY time consuming.

i deff think the 550 w/proper attachments, a larger shaker/cleaner, and fast powder measurements will make ALL the differance.

Hey,
Just trying to give you a faster press option that was more budget minded. Sorry for the input. But if price is not really a concern for you, I would forget the Dillon 550 and go with the Dillon Super 1050. I have a friend who has one and it totally rocks.

Hey,
Just trying to give you a faster press option that was more budget minded. Sorry for the input. But if price is not really a concern for you, I would forget the Dillon 550 and go with the Dillon Super 1050. I have a friend who has one and it totally rocks.

sorry about my original comment were i quoted you. i had long day and COMPLETELY missread how that was typed. again i am sorry

sorry about my original comment were i quoted you. i had long day and COMPLETELY missread how that was typed. again i am sorry

Hey, it's ok. I've has one if them days too before. Let us know what you end up getting. Good luck in starting back up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc