• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Background check?

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
How hard is the background check for a suppressor? I am thinking of getting a suppressor. The reason I am asking is b/c in my younger days I was arrested several times for misdemeanors and sentenced to jail (minor consumptions and public intox). The reason I went to jail is b/c I was arrested 3 times for public intox and sentenced to a month. I have never been arrested or even talked to by law enforcement (except my friends) in 10yrs, hell I have only had one speeding ticket in 10yrs. Would that cause me to get a denial? I have never been arrested for any violent crimes or felonies. Just wanting to know b/c I don't want to have to pay the $200 to find out I am denied. What causes denials?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there a link to where you can find info on what type of things you have to do if you are a owner of a NFA item (i.e.: notify ATF when moving)?

It shouldn't matter. But that's subjective as it's up to your CLEO when it comes to what criteria they use in making decisions. From a legal standpoint, those things will not disqualify you from owning a suppressor. My advice would be to make sure you're prepared to speak to your past and clearly explain how you've changed as you will likely be asked about it.

I was even asked about an arrest that occurred when I was 18 as a result of not paying a ticket I received 6 months earlier for running a stop sign. You should be gtg though...

All it was is I listened to the officer and got out of the car (wasn't driving) and when couldn't get me for anything got me for a public intox. I know, I know If I got a lawyer I prob. Could have fought it, but I didn't have the money.

I am looking into a trust.

you will still go thought a NICS check.If you cant buy a rifle or pistol over the table that should answer your qestion.

Just dont lie to them. Go to your sherriffs office and get an official copy of your arrest report. Cost $10. Put down exactly what it shows on your record to the T. And dont worry about it.

If you really want to see what the judge will see. Apply to the FBI for a full NICS check. It will cost you money but you will get an official printout about who you "are".

set up a trust and submit the needed paperwork

if you can pass a 4473 while buying a firearm you're good

start buying and enjoy the silence

Just dont lie to them. Go to your sherriffs office and get an official copy of your arrest report. Cost $10. Put down exactly what it shows on your record to the T. And dont worry about it.

If you really want to see what the judge will see. Apply to the FBI for a full NICS check. It will cost you money but you will get an official printout about who you "are".

That's what I was looking into. I was told by the chief in the town near me (who I talk to a lot and consider a friend, and is a former Marine) to go to the Sheriff and get finger printed and get my FBI print out. I never got questioned when I Enlisted, so I figure I am in pretty good shape.

you will still go thought a NICS check.If you cant buy a rifle or pistol over the table that should answer your qestion.

But I won't need the CLEO to sign off on it. I know I will still go through a NICS check. I have bought many handguns and rifles over the years. I am only asking bc I didn't know how much more in depth it is. And if they would deny just bc I went to jail for a PI.

But I won't need the CLEO to sign off on it. I know I will still go through a NICS check. I have bought many handguns and rifles over the years. I am only asking bc I didn't know how much more in depth it is. And if they would deny just bc I went to jail for a PI.

It's no more in depth than a NICS check, other than your prints getting sent to the FBI.