• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backing!

Rimdenter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2021
Texas
What type of backing paper or board do you men use. Normally I spray glue targets to card board this leaves a deep wiped hole. I tried some heavy weight brown paper yesterday it did better still not a crisp clean edge like some target paper I've seen , any suggestions ?

I staple to cardboard, but now i wanna get some corregated plastic election signs and use those... thats a great idea

Corrugated plastic as a backer.

Fits 2 11x17 paper targets stapled on
I've used this mainly on old internet signs people leave out , some of the chloroplast will blow back through the target.

I've tried a variety of backer materials.
Corrugated plastic splits, but is waterproof.
Wood warps and splinters. Fiberboard disintegrates when wet.
Cardboard is free for the taking on recycle days.
I now use pressure treated 1x2's for the frame,
with cardboard clipped at top and bottom,
replace cardboard after use.

Best target material for sharp edged bullet holes is card stock.
Leaves the cleanest outline for precise measurements.

I use the campaign/advertising signs with card board clipped to it with my targets stapled to the cardboard. I do have a large roll of Mylar that I am about to start using instead of cardboard that seems like it will be a really good backing.

1/2” or 3/4” 4x8 sheet of foam insulation. You can get 4 target backers out of one sheet. Easy to staple to. Water proof and light weight. Our range has used them for 4 or 5 years.

How does it do as far as a clean edge I have some 2" board have yall tried any that thick ?

after a shoot on paper I just take it off and push the paper back, easy to see the black ring.

Shot these yesterday. Do t guess it’s a clean hole it’s rolled edge.
74FA55A6-61A4-42AE-B0D1-086B31144911.jpeg
D568EA26-12D4-44D7-91FA-8B564360E310.jpeg

That's what I'm saying if the cardboard is to thick it stretches the paper.

If you’re looking for clean holes use a flat nose bullet.
A single hole with a flat nose round will look like this.

60lb paper stapled on cardboard

Attachments

• DBA1E08A-47C8-4B8F-B2BA-5B0AE42ADAAD.jpeg
    DBA1E08A-47C8-4B8F-B2BA-5B0AE42ADAAD.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 56
I was wondering what weight paper th ARA used and the CMP it seems like a more contrasting edge

I was wondering what weight paper th ARA used and the CMP it seems like a more contrasting edge
Not sure what weight paper they use. I have a pack of 60 lb printer paper and print my own targets. I shoot nra A-51 targets at my local match and it’s on substantially heavier paper than my 60lb printer paper.

We use conveyor belt screwed to a 2x2 frame. Staple targets to cardboard, staple cardboard to frame or conveyor belt depending on size.

If you want to get that picky on scoring, get a plug and a scoring table with backlight.

I staple the plastic corrugated cardboard (holds up better than regular paper cardboard) to my target stands and then use blue painters tape to tape up my targets. The blue painters tape holds the targets well, but also comes off easy when I need to change targets. Easier then a staple gun.

Thin cardboard usually from big boxed kid and baby toys.

Most of the time I use PS 150/ ABRA/ARA targets when testing ammo or just getting some trigger time. Can order them or get them from match directors for their cost in most cases. Easy to use and good for practice. Ordering them from ARA, etc was $25 per pack of 100 IIRC, but the shipping hurts. Order several packs for F&F, and it is a bit cheaper.

Reactions: Rimdenter
I live next to a furniture store. I get all the thick cardboard I want. I have a friend that works for the city here that bimonthly will drive around removing those corrugated plastic signs that you see on the road sides advertising for business and political ads. I had a whole stack of them, but he changed jobs so that ship has sailed.

The receptionist at work usually prints my targets for me on the company copier. She has printed me a ream of paper’s worth at a time. Today I got in some card stock to use. It’ll be the first time I’ve used it. I hope it works in the copier.
9AFB9839-A0AB-4AF7-BA54-0F290C5AB524.jpeg