• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Backpack for PRS matches

Never really saw the need. Most matches it would be annoying to have to pack up and unpack your rifle between stages.

Perhaps certain field matches it may make sense.

This seems like an interesting way to carry if you don't want to use a sling:

We all use them. Seriously one of the greatest inventions ever.

Personally, I like the look of a folding cart if you're not a minimalist

I've got a folding chair with a cooler under the seat that works for me at the moment. I don't tend to bring much along during matches so YRMV

M

Don't get the Shape Charge. its too Small and the mistake I made.

I have dozens of bags from years in the military and collecting shit over the last 20 years. ALL my bags going forward will be Kifaru/EXO/Stone Glaicer. There is zero reason to buy anything else.

Eberlestock is cheap chinese shit that weighs half a ton. I gave my eberlestocks away I hated them so much. MR makes some decent bags, but they are imported as well and almost as expensive as the Alpha, Made in USA Bags, so no reason to waste money on them. Kifaru organization is second to none and unbelievably comfortable.

Replaced it with a 357 MAG and its the PERFECT match bag.

I have broken 3 bags shooting PRS before buying Kifaru. I even broke my Shape charge, which is back with them getting repaired.

Spend the money on Kifaru. Get a Internal frame pack and save the money/weight.

The 22 Mag is a good size for PRS as well, IMO. It was also recently on sale, but it looks like that sale is over.

Smaller than the 357 - I guess it depends on how much gear you want to bring. I'm probably more of a minimalist than some when it comes to shooting matches.

The 22 Mag is a good size for PRS as well, IMO. It was also recently on sale, but it looks like that sale is over.

Smaller than the 357 - I guess it depends on how much gear you want to bring. I'm probably more of a minimalist than some when it comes to shooting matches.
Yea the 22 would be a a bit to small for me. Problem is it requires a frame so you are looking at $300+ for the bag plus $400+ for frame for essentialy something that is heavier and same size as internal frame Shape Charge for $300.

I was able to get my 357 Mag on sale for $350 so it was a no brainier. Closest comparison is the 44 mag which is also heavier and about $400 more.

Being able to pack all your gear, plus cold weather/wet clothing ect is very nice. Also, I can shove the RRS 22i into a side pocket and it will carry it, which frees up a hand.

Reactions: kthomas
The OBI link system? I'm seriously considering picking one up myself.
Yea its a game changer. I saw some pro shooters and Cyke running them at a big 2 day field match and after walking a few miles, Realized how nice they are. I have them on all my guns now, hunting, match ect. Being able to clip in and walk hands free is SOOOOO nice and much safer incase you trip or fall.

Curious how much hiking
I shot my first two PRS matches this season and I made a list of needs and wants of items to buy going forward. One item high on the needs list is a backpack. Right now I’m using my Midway USA range bag to carry my gear but with the addition of a tripod I now can’t move everything from stage to stage in one trip. A backpack will be much easier to transport my gear leaving my hands free to carry my rifle.

What packs are people using and seeing at matches? Im looking at options from Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Eberlestock, Kifaru, and Kuiu. I currently run a Kuiu Pro system for my hunting load out and very much like it, but I don’t like to mix my hunting gear with other disciplines. I don’t think the pack needs to be very big. Somewhere in the 2,000 cubic inch range should be plenty.
Curious on what exactly you plan on lugging around?

and what type of events are these? is it at a square range with stations close together and generally flat ground. or is it hilly with some hiking between stages?

Im a minimalist so I use a simple 2 day type pack. fits the basics 2 bags, ammo, spotter, tools, ifak, and snacks. I can strap the tripod to the side using the drink pocket and cinch strap. I have a 5.11 scabbard that clips on if I need to hike long distances. its light enough that most of the time I shoot with the pack on minus the tripod.

ive seen guys use the hand carts for golf with the big wheels and a bunch of crap and Ive seen guys with 1 small shooting bag and a pocket full of ammo.

Curious how much hiking

Curious on what exactly you plan on lugging around?

and what type of events are these? is it at a square range with stations close together and generally flat ground. or is it hilly with some hiking between stages?

Im a minimalist so I use a simple 2 day type pack. fits the basics 2 bags, ammo, spotter, tools, ifak, and snacks. I can strap the tripod to the side using the drink pocket and cinch strap. I have a 5.11 scabbard that clips on if I need to hike long distances. its light enough that most of the time I shoot with the pack on minus the tripod.

ive seen guys use the hand carts for golf with the big wheels and a bunch of crap and Ive seen guys with 1 small shooting bag and a pocket full of ammo.
Square range with stations close together. This was my first year shooting PRS. I’ve been lugging a rectangular range bag from Midway but it means I need two trips for bag and gun, then another trip for tripod.

I don’t have an excessive amount of stuff. Typical admin type items like kestrel and some small tools. A few bags. I am looking for the pack to replace my range bag, not supplement it. So I want it to also hold my ear and eye pro to and from the range as well as a light jacket if I end up shedding layers during the match.

Square range with stations close together. This was my first year shooting PRS. I’ve been lugging a rectangular range bag from Midway but it means I need two trips for bag and gun, then another trip for tripod.

I don’t have an excessive amount of stuff. Typical admin type items like kestrel and some small tools. A few bags. I am looking for the pack to replace my range bag, not supplement it. So I want it to also hold my ear and eye pro to and from the range as well as a light jacket if I end up shedding layers during the match.
Sounds like you could get away with a nice 2 or 3 day type pack. LBTinc.com always has sales and they're a good made in America pack. I would caution against going too big as you will find all kinds of stuff to fill it with that you dont need and it will geat heavy. if I shot a flat square range I would probably find something like this to haul everything around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-155515_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-155515_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 65
Sounds like you could get away with a nice 2 or 3 day type pack. LBTinc.com always has sales and they're a good made in America pack. I would caution against going too big as you will find all kinds of stuff to fill it with that you dont need and it will geat heavy. if I shot a flat square range I would probably find something like this to haul everything around.
You have to be carefull with LBT, some of their shit is imported.

You want a bigger pack. You will add gear and plates and bags overtime to deal with certain situations. You may want some extra cloths or rain gear and not stuffing 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag will make it easier to get what you need without tearing everything out.

The 10 pound imported shitty elberlestock is popular but the most often seen pack at matches out west is Kifaru. They just work.

I love my Kifarus, I have an X-Ray and a 22 mag. Both are two big for what I carry and I end up packing pointless shit in them. So they mainly get used for hunting now. The X-ray gets used at matches, if I need to bring cold or wet gear and the truck won't be close.

Otherwise I just run the X31 I mentioned above.

I’m currently using the mystery ranch crew cab. It’s my hunting pack but has done pretty well with PRS. I can attach the rifle and tripod to the sides if I’d like. I usually attach the game changer to the outside as well.
I am looking however at moving to the Fehu outdoors tilpasse pack. They’ve designed it with Prs in mind. Currently out of stock but worth a wait. I’ve seen a couple in the wild and they look like they’ll fit the bill.

if this had a tripod attachment system I would likely buy it today

I can’t seem to figure out how to link it, but he has a video on his Fehu outdoors Facebook page showing the tripod mounted on the side of the pack with a strap and bottle holder.
He does have some good things for sure! I will look on fbook for the vid, thanks
found it cool!

Last edited:
Any love for kifaru shape charge I think this would be a great size maybe with a Sherman pack attached.
Love my Shape Charge... Used to be a MR fan, but Kifaru has surpassed MR in my opinion.

Reactions: K80/6.5
Its too Small for PRS imo unless you are a super minimialist. Go with the 357 Mag, which is also much better for tripod carry as well.
That the other one I’m trying to decide between. The 357 mag just looks nice just looks on the big side. For me it will a dual purpose bag for deer hunting in the mid west and nrl hunter/prs.

Yea its a game changer. I saw some pro shooters and Cyke running them at a big 2 day field match and after walking a few miles, Realized how nice they are. I have them on all my guns now, hunting, match ect. Being able to clip in and walk hands free is SOOOOO nice and much safer incase you trip or fall.
I started looking at either the OBI link system or one of those gun carts after I competed at the latest GAP Grind. I'm not used to field style matches (I regularly compete at a square range). Definitely going to give this system a shot before trying to buy a gun cart now.

Gun carts are great on nice flat ranges. Once you go into fields, have terrain ect you will wish you had a pack. I have used my Cart once for PRS in the last 2 years.

Buy a good backpack that makes it easy to wear and you will be better off.

Reactions: Mudflap621
Kifaru 14r is nice. It's a little bigger than the shape charge and has the front zipper for easy access to anything in the pack. I've shot four 2-day matches this year with it in some pretty terrible weather and it had plenty of room for all the gear I needed.

Usually my pack includes all of the following:

120rd WCD Bullet binder
3 AICS Mags with belt pouches
Coletac Matchbook holder w/ data cards, pens and arm board
Kestrel
Fix it sticks
Gray ops mini plate w/ AG Pad
AG Gamechanger attached to outside via carbiner
Pump pillow attached to outside
Rain Gear (Pants, jacket and gaiters)
Rifle and pack rain covers
Water bottles x2
Snacks
RRS Tripod strapped to outside
Binos
Gloves
Odds and ends (advil, pocket knife, small cleaning kit for chamber, etc,)

If you need more gear than this to shoot a match, you should probably reevaluate your tactics.

Last edited:
Kifaru shape charge is perfect.

Anyone who needs more space packs too much crap.
Be a minimalist.
Learn to shoot with 1 bag, 1 tripod, and 1 bipod.

Then you can stop making out with other dudes on the other days of your life once you learn the above.
anything more than 2300ci is just bonkers...and i use the big plastic mtm 100 round cases

anything more than 2300ci is just bonkers...and i use the big plastic mtm 100 round cases
I tend to agree. I can fit two mtm 100rd boxes, a WC Mini Fortune Cookie, 2 mags and Swaro binos in my Bandit. If I need a jacket, it's strapped to the outside. Grey Ops plate and Wiebad plate bag get carried by hand. Water bottles go in the pouch on the side.

Last edited:
Reactions: b6graham
I have an ammo novel from Softcock, holds 40.
Need another for matches to carry all I need.

My 50 rd ammo boxes work dandy though. 😎
$3 each.

I prefer the ammo boxes as well. Especially the 100rd boxes. When you compare the overall volume, they take up less room than the novels in most cases.

I prefer the ammo boxes as well. Especially the 100rd boxes. When you compare the overall volume, they take up less room than the novels in most cases.
They are decent and much cheaper. Only reason I went to an ammo binder was I had a 100rd box open up in my pack halfway through a match and that wasn't fun. A piece of duct tape holding it closed does help but I'm still paranoid from now on.

For ammo storage I'm a bit of a neanderthal. I have a couple Magpul Daka zippered waterproof pouches. One for ammo and a smaller one for spent brass. Dump 120 rounds or so of Dasher/BRA into the Medium size Daka and I can shoot a full day match. No fussing with putting rounds one-by-one into an ammo wallet. Been doing this for several years now. Cheap, simple, and fits in a pack easily.

For ammo storage I'm a bit of a neanderthal. I have a couple Magpul Daka zippered waterproof pouches. One for ammo and a smaller one for spent brass. Dump 120 rounds or so of Dasher/BRA into the Medium size Daka and I can shoot a full day match. No fussing with putting rounds one-by-one into an ammo wallet. Been doing this for several years now. Cheap, simple, and fits in a pack easily.

I do something similar. I use TAB Gear Silent Ammo Carriers (SAC) for my ammo.

You can easily put a day's worth of ammo in there, and there's a divider on the inside to place your brass. I have two of them, and load each ammo carrier up with a days worth of ammo ahead of the match. At the end of the first match day, the SAC gets swapped out for the fresh one.

It has molle webbing on the outside of the pouch, so if you have backpacks with molle you can easily attach it, and not take up any internal pack volume.

Reactions: Sheldon N

A friend of mine has one of these for his camera shit (surprise), looked good. The organizer-type is where it's at IMO and is why I like my Upranger.

Though, the Upranger has one pretty big feature that the camera bags don't: if you find yourself in the rain and mud at a match (like pissing on you non-stop ala GAP Grind 2021 lol), the side of the pack you plop down in the muck isn't the same side you later have to wear against your ass in order to hump it to the next stage (and since it's a plastic shell, you can even hose off the back/bottom without having to unload it)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Resurrecting this thread.
Thinking about going back to the Up Ranger. I really like the organization aspect of opening my pack and everything has a spot and is instantly visible. The less time I spend, pre stage, digging through my pack the more time I have to plan or be on glass.

As much as I love my Kifaru 22 mag, X ray and my early MR 3 Day assault pack, their organization, quite frankly sucks, from a PRS standpoint

I’ve got most all the popular packs.

For PRS I’ve never got away from my MR 3DAP.
For NRL hunter I love the original 22mag. With the pleated big pouches on the side/ I hate they discontinued it.

The MR3 day has done me well as it’s big enough to put more stuff in for less than ideal weather but I usually don’t put anymore in it than I have to. I’ve shot over 100 matches with it and it’s still holding up great.

I can lash to the outside and it has just the right amount of compartments to work out of.

The quality has been great and I like you can stash the waist belt as it’s really not that needed for PRS

I’ve got most all the popular packs.

For PRS I’ve never got away from my MR 3DAP.
For NRL hunter I love the original 22mag. With the pleated big pouches on the side/ I hate they discontinued it.
Yep, those side pouches work great for protecting a tripod on one side, and shoving rain gear (for you, rifle, etc) in the other ...

My only issue is that when the side pouches are full, the zippered mesh pockets on the inside can get a bit squashed and hard to get stuff in and out of.

Another option that's worth trying to hunt down is the old Tarryall - smaller pockets on the side, but enough connecting points to hold a tripod securely with compression straps.

The internal organisation is good. But the real benefit is the open sleeve on the back can easily fit a rifle inside, which then can strap down at the top. All up, I think it's a great field match pack.

You can get sense of how it would work here:

And while Kifaru have a video about the 22 Mag that others have mentioned, I just happened to see this video with Robert Brantley today, and it looks like he's running the original 22 Mag with the long side pockets:

Reactions: Rob01
I have an eberlestock pack. I used to use the Mystery Ranch but I've found this to suit my needs better.
I use the softcock ammo carriers and there is a shelf inside that holds 2 carriers perfectly. That same pocket holds my binos and range card.
The other pocket holds drinks, fix it sticks, and an emergency Otis cleaning kit, as well as snacks.
I use the gun scabbard to put my tripod in.
Not sure which model it is but I'm sure you can figure that out if you're interested enough.
Can’t tell what model it is does anyone else know by chance?

Did this write up on a husky pack I use. Never got much traction but a cheap and still handy pack to have. I have a sling on my tripod and carry my rifle

Lol I have that pack. It’s got webbing all around, hard bottom, it hangs under the tripod. That’s prettty funny you found same pack.

Reactions: Eric32