• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backpack for the Appalachian trail?

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
I will be hiking the Appalachian Trail for 2-3 weeks at the beginning of August, and was wondering what backpack would be good for this. I will have to carry a couple changes of clothes, a sleeping bag, dehydrated foods, water, tent, bug stuff, medical stuff, etc... We will probably have other food drop shipped along the way so we dont overload ourselves. Anybody with experience on the trail or similar, your advice on a pack would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Backpack for the Appalachian trail?

Something light...most tactical packs are good heavy duty packs for rough field use but usually are pretty heavy. If you're just recreational backpacking for a few weeks the first place I would look is www.REI.com

If you for sure want a tactical pack you might be able to find other areas to cut weight. You can never usually never go wrong with simple and light!

While I love this site, I wouldn't ask your question here. Tactical gear is rarely the lightest and you need to cut weight for a trip like that.

There are entire sites dedicated to what you're about to do, find them and ask people who hike that trail all the time. I'm sure you'll get good answers here, but you'll get better answers at a site dedicated to the trail.

Lighter is better until it's not. Basically what I mean by that is the lightest weight stuff typically won't be as durable as other stuff.

As far as packs go over to your nearest REI and try some out. I'd start with the Granite Gear, Osprey, and REI Brand. They all have a great reputation.

Get a Membership at REI it'll pay for itself quick. If you get a membership you can return it anytime for any reason without having to keep up a receipt. Also they dish out a 20% off coupon 3 times a year and have great sales, their garage sales are the shit if you get there early.

Google Appalachian Trail Planner. A good web site is sophiaknows.com. That is a good place to get started on planning your trip. As far as the best pack to get, there are a lot out there to choose from. Probably too many to say that any particular one is the best for you. Take the advice of the folkes that posted on this thread. Go to REI or wherever and look at what they have. Tell the sales people what you are looking at doing and they should be able to help you out. Remember this though. If you get a pack with more cubic inch capacity, you will want to put more stuff in it. Like Jasonk said, lighter is better when you're doing something like you're getting ready to do.

When you do get your pack, walk with it several times and get used to it before you get on the side of the mountain and are stuck with what you have. I hope that this helps. What part of the trail are you going to walk?

My buddy did the whole trail right after he got out of the Army, he started in typical military fashion with a large expedition pack and 50 -60 pounds of gear, he finished the trail walking 20 miles a day with about 10 pounds, everything got light and small, titanium, carbon fiber, back packs from Go-lite etc. depends on how you want to go, if want comfort you go heavy if you want to cover distance go light.
Below are some links for a light weight set up

ultralight backpacking gear list

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/weekend.html
http://sectionhiker.com/ultralight-backpacking-gear-list-summer-2011/

the most important thing to bring is a banjo and lots of lube!

can you say dueling banjos

if i remember right a bow and arrow came in handy

I always used a traditional external tubular frame pack with a back mesh support, padded hip belt, and broad, padded shoulder straps, and a sternum strap's not a bad idea. Protect you collarbones, that's where the load will ride, and keeping your back dry and unchafed is also crucial.

A small tube of lube grease will cure those maddening creaking/squeaking noises. I waterproofed the inner compartments by lining them with heavy contractor's trash bags. It doesn't matter if they're way larger than the compartment. You might pack in an extra few of those bags.

For final packing, lay everything out and pick each thing up and hold it in your hand individually. Take a moment and envision what would happen if it had never been invented. If that doesn't turn life into a miserable hell, maybe it's better left at home. Everything you pack weighs twice as much at day's end.

Water and water filtration stuff is pretty important. August is typically a dry month on the AT. Make sure you have a decent water storage capacity, and be damned careful about which water you decide to trust. There's damned little of that left, even so far from 'civilization'.

Cleaning dishes with stream sand and paper polishing are useful alternate methods for cleaning dishes. Unless the paper is irredeemably soiled, it can be dried and reused for 'other' purposes. A mesh bag attached to the outside of the pack makes this simpler. Anything that conserves potable water. A dish cloth is advisable, it can be rinsed and reused. Cloth always trumps paper.

Long sleeves and trousers will provide protection from sun, foliage, and insects. They need not be heavy weight, but they do need to stop sunlight. Short sleeves and trousers are the mark of the tenderfoot. Synthetics that dry quickly are way better than anything else. Bloused trousers will keep the ticks out. DEET, DEET, DEET, 100% if you can find it.

Keep spare clothes to a minimum, pay close attention to personal hygene. Two sets of clothes work, one worn, one drying on the outside of the pack. Same with undies. Make sure that whatever else happens, you always have a pair of dry socks available. Make sure you prepare to not be miserable if the weather turns wet for a few days. The Appalachians are not Texas.

Depending on where you're going, info and countermeasures for bears (blackies) are important, as is hanging anything edible up o/o reach of bears and raccoons (they are the real headache). In bear country aim to stay in the lean-to's with cyclone fencing fronts. Never store edibles where you sleep. The bears on the AT are are utterly brazen and totally fearless of humans.

Plan your first few days on trail around shorter distances, it takes time to break yourself in. Good AT Conference literature for the stretch you're covering, along with CGS maps.

Sleep and footgear are very important. High boots with good ankle support are important on this trail. The ground is rough with a lot of up and down. If your footgear isn't completely broken in and completely comfortable before you hit the Trail, you may be facing an early end to your hike. Be prepared for a lot of vertical in your terrain, train with a weighted pack and do step workouts. Wigwam hiker socks work for me, my feet sweat a lot. Small squares of reflective tape on the backs if your boot heels can be a lifesaver.

The AT should not be confused with a walk in the Park.

Do not expect a portajohn at every convenient location. Maybe, do not expect a portajohn at <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> convenient location. Women tend to get really cranky about this.

A pair of ski/hiking poles can ease the journey, as well as a pair of comfortable, tough gloves. A broad rim hat with a mesh crown adds sun protection and comfort.

Most of all, schedule your trek so you're not busting your butt to get to your daily destinations, plan days off in interesting, out of the way points of interest, take pictures, pictures, pictures. Keep a journal, try pencil sketching, get into it; you're making personal/family history here boy!

Easy stages. An AT hike isn't about getting there, it's about the journey. A ten mile day is not a bad one. If you pile on the miles and turn it into a physical challenge, you'll miss the prime value of the trek.

In my three score and five, I've spent many, many days and nights on the AT in VA, PA, NJ, and NY. Looking back, I realize now that a goodly hunk of my smiles were born on the AT.

The AT follows the high ground; ridges and saddlebacks. You will get some astoundingly beautiful views. Allow some time to stop and enjoy that glory.

Greg

Weight is everything on the AT! How much does your pack weigh(loaded)! As stated above tactical packs are very heavy compared to backpacking bags(my Eberlestock GS2 weighs 7lbs empty)!

The big three as far as weight are, backpack, sleeping bag, tent! If you don't use it everyday, don't take it on the trail!

I'm not a thru-hiker, but have sectioned hiked some of it!

Georgia is brutal

I like my late seventies external tube Kelty pack, (when they were still made in the US). I live near the AT, (6 miles away) and have used it over the last 25 years and it is still going strong. I see them occasionally available on ebay.

No offense to you older folk, but there's a reason the external frame backpacks are harder to find...the newer internal frame packs are the bees knees
smile.gif

Kifaru light backpacks look pretty nice... nice pricetag too.

I just pulled the trigger on Eberlestock V90 Battleship. Great quality without the Kiraru price tag.

I would personally stick with my Alice ruck but that's what I'm comfortable with. Kelty makes good civilian packs.
A couple guys I was in the military with used Kelty packs instead of the usual Alice and they liked them. I think one was the Kelty Falcon 66 model and the other a Kelty Coyote 80.

I just picked up the Eberlestock Destroyer and so far I am very pleased. Not really a lightweight pack but it's built like a tank. Lighter that the other tactical packs they offer though. I like to know that my pack can take a beating when I am out there (mostly in the sierras). 70 liters give or take which should be plenty for the trip you are talking about. As for weight there are lots of ways to lighten the load. My load for a short week is 45 lbs give or take. Lightweight junkies probably can cut that in half or more, but that's not my thing, I bring full size camera gear and whiskey.

Take a look around, try them on and read the reviews.
The new Eberlestock V69 and V90 look great but I would go for something a little lighter. It's not easy to find the right balance betwen weight and durability.

I can be on the AT in Ga in a little over a hour from my house.
I use 2 packs. I love the Mystery Ranch MX Trance about 3800 CI.
It was devolped with input from the people at Mountain Crossing. They have a shop on the AT at Neals Gap in GA. About 30 miles in from the starting point. They do alot of shakedowns and send tons of gear home for people every season.
I also use my Kifaru Zulu on some overnighters.

check Mystery Ranch products... I've also used kifaru items, but MR are better......

Alright guys, well I would hope any of you looking for a backpack would do what I did... Call Ceylon! As most of us know, he is one of our hide vendors that specializes in backpacks among other items.

I called him yesterday telling him what I was going to be doing, and he immediately stopped me in the middle of my sentence and told me that he had been reading this thread. He continued to say the it would be his pleasure to donate a backpack to me as well as other things that I would need for my trip.

He asked me if I had been looking at any packs and I told him that the Eblerlestock V90 Destroyer looked about right for the job. He said no problem, and asked if I needed anything else. Not that he needed to do anymore than he already did, he threw in a 3 liter hydration bladder and water treatment supplies as well.

Ceylon has gone above and beyond what I would have expected anyone to do for me. This should speak volumes to what kind of guy Ceylon is, anyone else who has had the pleasure of dealing with him would already know this. But for all of you other guys out there that havent had the pleasure, this should let you know not to go anywhere else for a pack. Alright, I'll quit brown-nosing and update you guys as the days pass.

Thanks again Ceylon!!!

I've used a Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch)Terraplane for 15 years in just about every climate, region and altitude and it has been a great pack. For me it handles loads from 25 to 75 lbs better than any other pack I have tried. I paid $425.00 in 1996 and it still looks almost new.

You can find slightly used DD Terraplane packs in excelllent (sometimes unused condition) on e-bay for $150-$200. The line up from Mystery Ranch look a lot like the DD Teraplane and I am sure they are great (but pricy) packs.

Dana Gleason builds amazing packs.

Not that I didn't know before, but now I'm positive as to where I'm getting Eberlestock gear from, among other things. (Still waiting for that darn Eberlechassis)

Awesome move Deltaoutdoorsman!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check Mystery Ranch products... I've also used kifaru items, but MR are better...... </div></div>

How so?

If you're going to get a rucksack, get an Osprey. They have the best warranty. The thing that even guys at REI will tell you is that their materials aren't the toughest. A military issue ruck is a lot tougher and might hold up better if you're moving through brush.

With that said, military issue packs are wider than a lot of people and sticks love to get stuck between you and your pack if you're not the widest guy. I'm 6ft 200lbs and in pretty good shape so the pack doesn't stick out past my chest but is about even with my waist. Keep that in mind when choosing.

REI has a 7 day sale right now. If you go to their site, the first banner is the 7 days of deals or something. I looked on it for men's backpacks and there are 4 or 5 that look decent.

Everybody's talking about cutting weight these days. Your primary options for this are the backpack, sleeping system, and tent. You can drop 5-7lbs pretty quickly with the right gear. Get some good shoes and socks.

Take some pics and post them. Good luck

For boots I will strongly suggest you look at Zamberlan's. You just cannot beat that Italian craftsmanship.

I've worn a pair of their 760 Steep right out of the box with medium wool, long hiking socks on a very steep, rocky, off trail hike of abut 8 miles all in during hot weather and those boots never gave me a moment's worry.

I am very impressed and pleased at the help and care you got from Ceylon.

It reminds me of the help several of us got back in 2002 from a number of 'Hide supporters when we were getting the Ghost Dancer project up to speed and taking it on the road to the 2002 Spirit of America Matches.

It's good to know the spirit of The 'Hide is still alive and well, even in times such as these.

Kudos, Ceylon.

Greg

I have some limited experience with backpacks for long hikes. Tactical packs aren't really the ticket. It's not so much about weight either. It's about a balanced load that bears on the hips rather than the shoulders. I would look to the dedicated packs by companies for hikers. Kelty and Jan Sport were two of the best when I was in the game.

My packs (two, Celia and myself) started out as a pair of el cheapo house brand backpacks and frames. They were then upgraded over time with hip belts, better shoulder straps, mesh back bands, and various small tweaks.

At their zenith, they were some mighty el neato lightweight, hi-speed, low drag backpacks that did a lot of AT hiking.

Sold about 15 years back when I hit the big five-oh.

Greg

Check out www.whiteblaze.com, its the AT Trail website. I did the first 300 miles a couple of years ago. Its a great time, but GA sucks. When I was there I kept hearing Automatic gunfire and seeing 15 to 20 round links of belted SAW blanks scattered everywhere. Ended up accidentally sneaking up on a bunch of Rangers doing training on the actual AT. Its hot, up and down and not much for views. As far as a pack, get the lightest pack that is still very durable. Oh, and do everyone a favor, PLEASE don't buy some pack or tent, etc. that is so bright or crazy colored, you can see it from space. There is nothing wrong with a single piece of bright gear for an emergency signal, but everything else is distracting. Have fun! its really a great trail once you make it past the crazy tree!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4-Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out www.whiteblaze.com, its the AT Trail website. I did the first 300 miles a couple of years ago. Its a great time, but GA sucks. When I was there I kept hearing Automatic gunfire and seeing 15 to 20 round links of belted SAW blanks scattered everywhere. Ended up accidentally sneaking up on a bunch of Rangers doing training on the actual AT. Its hot, up and down and not much for views. As far as a pack, get the lightest pack that is still very durable. Oh, and do everyone a favor, PLEASE don't buy some pack or tent, etc. that is so bright or crazy colored, you can see it from space. There is nothing wrong with a single piece of bright gear for an emergency signal, but everything else is distracting. Have fun! its really a great trail once you make it past the crazy tree! </div></div>

You're welcome! "Putting up with" Rangers training to defend this country is a small price to pay for the freedom to hike the AT.

Hey, them Ranger-type guys gotta get themselves some fun from time to time too; eh?

Put a bunch of the AT under a Alice Medium and remember every time I saw someone with a lightweight pack,I was envious.
The AT passes within a couple miles of my house here in Va. If you need anything while crossing my area,give me a shout.

Thanks Jon Lester, if I make it up that far I will,lol!

Update: Were going to start in the Smokey Mountains...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, them Ranger-type guys gotta get themselves some fun from time to time too; eh? </div></div>

Walking up and down the mountains in Dahlonega with a three MRE's for every two days is not what I would call fun.

eh i usually don't eat even a MRE a day on the trail. usually just snack on trail mix, jerky, dried fruit and then stop for 1 solid meal before crashing for the night

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eh i usually don't eat even a MRE a day on the trail. usually just snack on trail mix, jerky, dried fruit and then stop for 1 solid meal before crashing for the night </div></div>

That was in Ranger School Joe, I would not touch an MRE if I were fun hiking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eh i usually don't eat even a MRE a day on the trail. usually just snack on trail mix, jerky, dried fruit and then stop for 1 solid meal before crashing for the night </div></div>

That was in Ranger School Joe, I would not touch an MRE if I were fun hiking. </div></div>

Oddly enough I was giving the dog his meal and noticed a familiar smell.

Exact same smell.
smirk.gif

Smokies is a well marked leg, spent one heck of a storm one night in an old stone fire tower on that section.

I used a Jansport external frame, D3 I think, for years on the AT. But would recommend the new packs, they are much nicer. The mesh screen that creates an air gap between your back and pack is nice.
The recommendations to go to REI or Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, etc.. shouldnt be ignored, you should try on the pack, you may not enjoy hiking the AT for three weeks in the summer with a new pack that doesn't fit your body. REI will help fit you to the pack.
I was on the Blue Ridge yesterday, bugs are thick, may suggest applying Permethrin to your clothing and sleeping bag before you go. If you're going thru Va you can plan to overnight at shelters and not take a tent. Water is available but use a filter.
Lots of leafy trees in Va. that obscure the views, best hiked in winter IMO. so if you like it, come back after the fall.

I've used a CFP-90 w/ patrol pack for extended trips 3 days +. It's lightweight, has internal frame, breatheable, lots of adjustments for any height person, etc. You can still find them as MIL surplus new or like new online i.e. ebay. Don't get a copy, I hear they are horrible.