• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backpack vs Bipod

Re: Backpack vs Bipod

I prefer bipod without any swivel for static targets because it puts the rifle on a single axis of movement. At that point, the rear bag and course movements with my shoulder are all that can move the gun.

I much prefer to be on target horizontally, and correct for vertical issues before my shot. Now, with my AR and moving targets I much prefer my swiveling atlas, but the many styles of shooting all require different things.

Reactions: Saracen7

Hmm. ok. I have been shooting off the bipod for awhile and I am trying the backpack every now and again. My groups arent really any different. When I hunt (shooting turtles off a pond) I like the backpack because I dont have to mess with the bipod legs or any of that crap, I can pivot alot easier on the backpack and I feel that recoil is less off a pack too.

When I first started shooting LR it was with a non-bipod equipped rifle.

I learned to shoot off of rucks, deuce gear (LBV), drag bag, buddy, etc. It can be very accurate and comfortable.

I run a bipod now.

In a dynamic environment the bipod rules. You have less prep time and more options when shooting from barricades, buildings, vehicles, etc.

Look at it this way. If I have a bipod and want to shoot from my ruck, I can. If only have a ruck, I sure can't materialize a bipod. (although sticks and 550 cord come close)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In a dynamic environment the bipod rules. You have less prep time and more options when shooting from barricades, buildings, vehicles, etc.

Look at it this way. If I have a bipod and want to shoot from my ruck, I can. If only have a ruck, I sure can't materialize a bipod. (although sticks and 550 cord come close) </div></div>

I have both. I carry a backpack with me to hold things like, ammo, earplugs, tape, gloves, ect. I just folded a pillow in half and I tend to want to use the backpack more.

Its just that in a time sensitive situation I think I can get the pack off my back and throw it on the ground quicker than I can flip out the bipod and make the legs the correct length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at it this way. If I have a bipod and want to shoot from my ruck, I can. If only have a ruck, I sure can't materialize a bipod. (although sticks and 550 cord come close)</div></div>

Couldn't agree more.

As stated, rucks were necessary 30 years ago because the M40A1 had no option for a bipod. There is no front sling stud, so the rucksack was commonly used, as was the tent poles fashioned together for a tripod shooting rest.

Since that time, things have progressed, and we now have many different options and flavor of bipods, as well as ways to attachment them to the rifle.

Bipods will always be more consistent, will always adapt better to the environment.

Rucks are inconsistent change in size and shape when fired on, as well as we change them by using what is inside. So the platform is more for one shot only and even then, it's not a consistent platform.

Do they work, absolutely as will many things, but understand it is not 1980 anymore we have progressed a bit making the need to use them more of an homage to the past and not a necessity.

Use your assault pack to hide your silhouette and provide minimal cover, but shoot off of your bipod. LL taught me that.

I shoot from a loaded bipod whenever possible. It's definitely easier, faster, and may be slightly more accurate for me. But I can use the ruck turned four or five different ways to vary the height when shooting over obstacles or due to terrain, and I can change the profile of my silhouette for concealment. On the "ambulance station" at Pasq I turned my ruck sideways, laid it on the wheel well in the wagon, grabbed the side with my left hand and shot a perfect score on that first section. Couldn't have done it any other way, with my bad back.

So i say ... ya gotta have both.
smile.gif

As stated, rucks were necessary 30 years ago because the M40A1 had no option for a bipod. There is no front sling stud, so the rucksack was commonly used, as was the tent poles fashioned together for a tripod shooting rest.

Since that time, things have progressed, and we now have many different options and flavor of bipods, as well as ways to attachment them to the rifle.

Bipods will always be more consistent, will always adapt better to the environment.

Rucks are inconsistent change in size and shape when fired on, as well as we change them by using what is inside. So the platform is more for one shot only and even then, it's not a consistent platform.

Do they work, absolutely as will many things, but understand it is not 1980 anymore we have progressed a bit making the need to use them more of an homage to the past and not a necessity.
Rucksacks are generally more consistent than bipods, plus with most rucksacks you can lay it flat, on its end, or it's side, so you instantly have three different heights.
You don't need to ' load' a rucksack, allow for hop, or allow for varying surfaces, unlike a bipod, plus a rucksack shot mimics other shooting positions better than a bipod too.
I don't use a bipod any more, and am glad it's one less piece of crap to contend with.
That's my findings, but each to their own.

why choose , the backpack is on your back and the bi pod strapped to the pack take em both . always be prepared . and lots of tp .

Rucksacks are generally more consistent than bipods, plus with most rucksacks you can lay it flat, on its end, or it's side, so you instantly have three different heights.
You don't need to ' load' a rucksack, allow for hop, or allow for varying surfaces, unlike a bipod, plus a rucksack shot mimics other shooting positions better than a bipod too.
I don't use a bipod any more, and am glad it's one less piece of crap to contend with.
That's my findings, but each to their own.
Interesting. In a typical year how many shots beyond 800 yards are you likely to fire each way?