• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backyard Sub Sonic Shooting?

txaggie929

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Well, I just picked up a CZ 453 Varmint in .22LR the other week... It also just so happens that I moved into a house and my backyard is over 40 yards deep (and if I sit at the back of the rear entry garage it measures out to 50 yards), BUT I live in the city.

So the question is - Is there any relatively "safe" sub-sonic rounds that y'all have used that I can shoot in the backyard without worrying about noise or blowing through fence panels if I miss for some reason?

All the neighbors seem pretty cool so far, and I am aware of the legality issues concerning this topic, but was just curious.

It's just too tempting to set up a bench in the garage and a well-constructed backstop at the back of the yard.

Re: Backyard Sub Sonic Shooting?

Most any .22lr will blow through a wooden fence pretty easily. It's probably a pretty bad idea.

"It's all fun and games untill someone loses an eye."

My vote goes for absolutly don't do it period. There's a ton of liability that you could deal with if something goes wrong.

When I was younger and "less aware" I asked my dad if I could practice archery in our backyard and he told me absolutly not. When I asked why he told me that when he was just a boy he used to shoot his BB gun in their backyard and one shot went bad and ended up causing a young boy to lose his eye. I imagined all the things I couldn't do in my life if I were to lose an eye and decided it's just not worth the risk.

I guess all I'm trying to say is you should be extremely careful to say the least. Being in city limits you could easily get your firearms taken from you and personally, I can only think of three losses that could be more painfull.

CCI CB Shorts, and CB Longs. (710fps... 29gr bullet)

remington cbee 22 (740fps... 33gr bullet)

Yeah worse-case scenarios will always make you think straight.

Man, I was just really thinking how nice it would be to just go out in the garage and shoot.

I'm moving to the country at some point in my life so I don't have to keep paying the ridiculous range fees and fight the crowds around here.

I really do know what you mean. We used to live in a neighborhood where I could literally walk three minutes and have ~700 yards to shoot in if I wanted. I never did on my own but I wanted to. Then the housing community started complaining about "excessive dust" which was very far from the case, it was more along the lines of a political reason which I can't discuss here so I will leave it at that. But story short is we had to start driving 20 minutes to a range, pay an entrance fee, but only after we waited in a long line for hours to get a frickin' bench. Now there really isn't any good place to shoot near us where it's legal and where there isn't a massive a-hole factor. So it's either the range or two hours of driving. Range please!
grin.gif

Now that we're used to it and have the system pegged it's really not bad at all.

Ugh, sorry for rambling again... I don't want to imagine what i'll be like as an elderly person. I'll probably talk people to death.

-Dylan

CCI CB Longs.

They're finicky to feed through the mag though. Absolutely mousefart quiet through my CZ452 with Liberty Kodiak TL.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Aguila super colibri.

wont make enough sound to notice, and the projectile *will* get stopped by 1/2" wood.

I would say NO. Not worth it, especially in our coulture where people are always looking for a quick buck. Just think how quick a jury will rule against you and award a huge settlement to the plaintiff.

Target power level air rifles won't shoot through a wooden fence.
600fps with an 8gr pellet generates about 6-8ft/lb, if you manage to miss your my backstop.
I shoot down the hall in the office.
The Olympic distance is 10M, the 10 ring is .020".

Your neighbors seem cool because they believe nobody would be stupid enough to be shooting a rifle next to them. Don't disappoint them.

CB's, but I would strongly advise against using them within city limits. Essentially every municipality has regulations forbidding discharging foreams.

My preference would be for a .177 caliber air gun, although technically, they are just as illegal. They just may be less easy to detect. I suggest a Gamo Whisper.

Just do what a lot of city people do...drill a hole in your trunk and shoot from there..the noise is deafening to you mostly but the neighbors hardly know your there. If your seen, just drive somewhere else.
smile.gif

Becareful, in the city I live in discharging a firearm in city limits is a felony. I would check your local laws.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna scrap the idea altogether. Too many risks for too little reward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do what a lot of city people do...drill a hole in your trunk and shoot from there..the noise is deafening to you mostly but the neighbors hardly know your there. If your seen, just drive somewhere else.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Great idea. Just make sure you do it in the D.C. metropolitan area...

n5036156667_935.jpg

Idiot! Im sure "if your seen" shooting from a drilled hole in your trunk, no juror would find any neighbor guilty of murder when they unleash a barrage of gun fire on your dumb ass!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do what a lot of city people do...drill a hole in your trunk and shoot from there..the noise is deafening to you mostly but the neighbors hardly know your there. If your seen, just drive somewhere else.
smile.gif
</div></div>

No, not at all. Its assholes like that who gets sites like this shut down. How can it be a joke after what happened a few years ago? Is it a joke when a kid put on his myspace page that he is going to blow up a school? Your just as much of an idiot for backing him up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrlj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya think he might have been joking?? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, not at all. Its assholes like that who gets sites like this shut down. How can it be a joke after what happened a few years ago? Is it a joke when a kid put on his myspace page that he is going to blow up a school? Your just as much of an idiot for backing him up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrlj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya think he might have been joking?? </div></div> </div></div>

It was clearly a joke.

He even put a little smiley face to indicate that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CB's, but I would strongly advise against using them within city limits. Essentially every municipality has regulations forbidding discharging foreams.

<span style="font-weight: bold">My preference would be for a .177 caliber air gun, although technically, they are just as illegal. </span>They just may be less easy to detect. I suggest a Gamo Whisper. </div></div>

In most places air rifles are not illegal to shoot within city limits. Some cities do have FPS restrictions though. I believe even in New York you can shoot an air rifle within city limits as long as it is below 500 fps.

This is my air rifle that I shoot in my basement at 40'. It averages about 530fps. Could easily be tuned down to 500, and it is WICKED accurate.

The biggest problem is finding an accurate air rifle that is 500 fps or below. The craze on the market is 1000 to 1200 fps.

DSC_0024.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, not at all. Its assholes like that who gets sites like this shut down. How can it be a joke after what happened a few years ago? Is it a joke when a kid put on his myspace page that he is going to blow up a school? Your just as much of an idiot for backing him up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrlj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya think he might have been joking?? </div></div> </div></div>

Not backing him up at all, just recognize when someone is not serious.

+1 Trental. Nice FWB 300S, I use a 150 for shooting down my hallway and they guy living upstairs is none the wiser.

forsale152.jpg

In my village air rifles and even bows and arrows are defined as firearms.

It was clearly a joke. It was not political so I don't think "THIS" kind of thing gets sites shut down. Maybe the joke was in poor taste but that is no reason to call the guy an asshole. You may want to switch to a thicker panty liner and a more absorbent tampon on days like this.
And by the way, there is always some terrible thing "happening" every minute of the day that people make jokes about.

The Aguilas are quiet but they are also slow and inconsistent. I can see the occasional round flying through the air.

I mostly use CCI CB Short Targets and they are very consistent. I don't think I've missed the bullet box at 50 yards with them. Although most of the time I just shoot really small targets at 25 yards. I think the noise of the bullet hitting the bullet box is louder than the sound coming from inside my garage.

Are you saying someone has already used that idea?

Jackalope...good name for you. In the future I will explain myself. Thank you for calling me on that.
smile.gif

I better clarify...YES Jackalope...that was a joke...sorry if I offended you in any way.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, not at all. Its assholes like that who gets sites like this shut down. How can it be a joke after what happened a few years ago? Is it a joke when a kid put on his myspace page that he is going to blow up a school? Your just as much of an idiot for backing him up.

Are you saying someone has already used that idea?

Jackalope...good name for you. In the future I will explain myself. Thank you for calling me on that.
smile.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txaggie929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I think I'm just gonna scrap the idea altogether. Too many risks for too little reward.</div></div>

This thread is done guys, especially when the pink shirt got rolled out. Tan lines from watches are deadly things...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Your neighbors seem cool because they believe nobody would be stupid enough to be shooting a rifle next to them. Don't disappoint them. </div></div>

Best answer on the page. I would be among this crowd.

Overall knowledge from this thread: check on an airgun, otherwise bad idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tpb10505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 Trental. Nice FWB 300S, I use a 150 for shooting down my hallway and they guy living upstairs is none the wiser.

forsale152.jpg
</div></div>

Nice. I use mine for silhouette practice so I took the apertures off and mounted a 24x scope. Works beautifully.

There are weasels in positions of power just looking for a reason to take away your gun(s).
Don't give them one.
BTW, many air guns these days are quite powerful and can easily break the sound barrier. Plenty loud enough to piss off your neighbors.

When I was a kid my dad and adults that lived next door would shoot CB caps in the basement in to a stack of newspapers. It was only 35 ft. but was quit safe. I do the same in my garage now 32 ft. and 40 years later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is done guys, especially when the pink shirt got rolled out. Tan lines from watches are deadly things... </div></div>

Well say what you want, but I for one do not need some parents around me to freak out if they were to see or hear me doing this and call the cops. It's not the possibility of possibly missing the target that I'm worried about, it's the possible over-reaction of a non-gun owner/ gun hater that I'm worried about. Like everybody else has said, getting popped for discharging a firearm in the city sure would look like shit on my record.

I'm not sure why you needed to quote me there but I already mentioned losing your firearms soooo...

Just in case you don't believe me, here it is!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Being in city limits you could easily get your firearms taken from you...</div></div>

-Dylan

Ah, indeed you did. Sorry, lost track of who said what. Yep, bad idea overall.

Although CB caps, and Aguila Colibris are pretty quiet, in MY rifles, accuracy SUCKS! Both of my .22 rifles average 1/2" at 50 yards, with ammo they like, but, with either CB caps, or Colibries, starlings are pretty safe at 20 yards.

I'd suggest a Crossman Discovery, or Marauder. REALLY quiet, and with the right pellets, 1/2" at 50 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although CB caps, and Aguila Colibris are pretty quiet, in MY rifles, accuracy SUCKS! Both of my .22 rifles average 1/2" at 50 yards, with ammo they like, but, with either CB caps, or Colibries, starlings are pretty safe at 20 yards.

I'd suggest a Crossman Discovery, or Marauder. REALLY quiet, and with the right pellets, 1/2" at 50 yards. </div></div>

If you get a chance, try the CCI CB Short "Target". They work pretty good at 25 yards. There is the occasional dud but they aren't bad and are pretty quiet.

I have been in the situation where it legal to shoot on my property, but every time the neighbors hear it, the will ask about it.
That leaves pellet guns and guns that sound like pellet guns.

So a 22 rimfire with a barrel at least 24" long, scoped and sighted in for a particular distance, shooting CB shorts or CB longs, sounds like a pellet gun. This is still very loud if it hits plywood, but quiet if it hits a soft target.

$1,000 "crow magnum" pellet guns will do 1,000 fps, but make noise like a 22LR.

The difference between loud guns and quiet guns is super sonic gas escapement.
That threshold is a muzzle pressure ~ 1 atmosphere above ambient.

Not worth the risk, if by chance something did happen hard to explain your sorry when you knew the laws.

Texas State law changed. Illegal to shoot anything in your back yard!!! Has to be on an approved range OR you need 50 acres WITH permission of land owners on adjacent property.
Thank the land developers, and their bought and paid for representatives. Perry was NO-COMMENT. NRA rep didn't even say anything at meetings. Law is ridiculous, as most incorporated areas already had the same laws in place. Frisco police chief was also a major supporter. Wealthy soccer moms build their mansions in the sticks but don't want guns going off near their 'chilrn'.