• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bad luck streak continues w/ my smith

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
First he bent the crap out of my barrel:
iqkj9f.jpg

This is his idea of random fluting a take off barrel:
newbarrelvice.jpg

Now he really fucked up my Winchester Garand receiver:
M1Garand.jpg

I don't want to menion his name just yet as he is a very talented plumbing contractor....

Re: Bad luck streak continues w/ my smith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a gunsmith.....but I think he's doing it wrong. </div></div>

+1000! Goodluck with that. I wonder what was being done when the barrel got bent and the receiver got broke?

It's a tongue-in-cheek thing....these pics have all popped up here threads over the years, but the story is what makes it real gold.
smile.gif

I do like using the indicator to check for runout on the barrel; that's gold right there.

We must have used the same smith - shoulda known when he said he'd take payment in Jim Beam!!

Its all repairable with some JB weld, bondo, and an 8lb hammer. You may have to use a little heat in a few spots.

So-So Gunsmithing "They get it right....sometimes".

What's your backlog look like? I need some work done.

You can weld the Garand rec. back together with any arc welder,and a torch will easily fix the bent barrel you just have to be patient and use your eye for keeping everything straight,I have fixed worse before with no ill effects.....

After you arc weld it back together, don't forget to heat it to a bright cherry red and dunk it in ice water to restore the temper.

Is the barrel for shooting around a tree?

I thought this was the thread...apparently not. What happened to the guys thread that the gunsmiths clerk threatened him with his sidearm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this was the thread...apparently not. What happened to the guys thread that the gunsmiths clerk threatened him with his sidearm? </div></div>
looks like that thread has been deleted. I posted several times on that thread and now those posts are gone ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just get one of those cold blue pens </div></div>
shhhhhhhhhh! Don't give away the trade secrets!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the barrel for shooting around a tree? </div></div>

Nope...free elevation for shooting long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
iqkj9f.jpg
</div></div>
"Ok, we need a volunteer to pull the trigger ...!"

Maybe this post is not a prank after all. This looks a lot like the work a local smith did on one of my rifles before he disappeared. Any leads on where this smith is so I can track him down for some "touchups" on my rig?

Looks like that AR barrel belongs in that Angelina Jolie shooter video with the curved shots
smile.gif

What's the repeatability of that ar barrel. Does it counteract the corrialis effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this was the thread...apparently not. What happened to the guys thread that the gunsmiths clerk threatened him with his sidearm? </div></div>
looks like that thread has been deleted. I posted several times on that thread and now those posts are gone ... </div></div>
I posted on that aswell would like to know what happened to the thread and y it was removed and what happened with the smith