• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bad news

Tinman762

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Douglasville, Ga.
My dealer in Georgia received my form 4 back "denied due to background".I called NFA and left a message with examiner to try and find out the facts but haven't herd back. maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction and answer some questions.
1) will NFA let me know what they found?
2) has anyone had NFA change there decision ?
3)do I need to just forget about it?

Re: Bad news

Are you a convicted felon or something? Do you know of anything wrong with your background?

Do you have anything that would dis-qualify you from owning a title 1 firearm? I.e. do you answer yes on any of the questions 11.b through 11.l on the the ATF form 4473:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

If the answer is no, then you should not be denied on the basis of a background check, since the requirements are the same for NFA as they are for title 1 guns. Have you ever had a problem with getting approval for NICS checks when you buy a gun?

I have never heard of someone being denied a form 1/4 because of their background, so if you are actually eligible I would certainly pursue the specifics of their denial.

I have a ccp, have gone through background check for contractors in federal buildings , buy guns frequently, never had any problems

Either they screwed up and got their information wrong or you are just screwed. You did this on LEO signature or trust?

Hire a lawyer if need be. Like the other poster said if you can buy a gun you can own a nfa items.

Mike

Did you wait 6 months to get a denial? I would be flipping out...

did it on form 4 and leo did a background before he signed. that took over 2 weeks and I have lived in this area all my life. I would like to talk to examiner before I hire a lawyer but don't think they will call me back

They should.... Give them a day or two then call back. Be polite and professional and if they wont work with you, hire a lawyer to resolve the situation.

Bout all you can do really!

wow this was the exact same situation I was afraid of when I applied for my first suppressor, which is set to get approved within the next week or 2.

I have a clean record except for 1 incident that happened my sophomore year of college. I was hosting a party and the cops busted it. They gave everyone who was present an MIC or MIP, but they tagged me with a furnishing alcohol to minors charge which is a Class A misdemeanor here in the state of Texas. I was 19 at the time and I was shocked that I could even get such a charge even though I wasn't 21.

I check the NFA ownership requires and I checked off everything that was there and ended up applying. I buy guns all the time without a hitch and would be devastated if my form 4 got rejected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow this was the exact same situation I was afraid of when I applied for my first suppressor, which is set to get approved within the next week or 2.

I have a clean record except for 1 incident that happened my sophomore year of college. I was hosting a party and the cops busted it. They gave everyone who was present an MIC or MIP, but they tagged me with a furnishing alcohol to minors charge which is a Class A misdemeanor here in the state of Texas. I was 19 at the time and I was shocked that I could even get such a charge even though I wasn't 21.

I check the NFA ownership requires and I checked off everything that was there and ended up applying. I buy guns all the time without a hitch and would be devastated if my form 4 got rejected. </div></div>

That wont count against you.... you are over 21 now, right? You might could have that taken off your record if its been 3 years. It's different state to state though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow this was the exact same situation I was afraid of when I applied for my first suppressor, which is set to get approved within the next week or 2.

I check the NFA ownership requires and I checked off everything that was there and ended up applying. I buy guns all the time without a hitch and would be devastated if my form 4 got rejected. </div></div>

That wont count against you.... you are over 21 now, right? You might could have that taken off your record if its been 3 years. It's different state to state though. </div></div>

No idea. It happened October of 2007, but my first court date wasnt till July of 2008. This is the primary reason why I am unable to apply for a chl because anything besides a dismissal counts as a conviction in that state's eyes and there is a 5 year rule attached. I have no idea if it has been expunged or not, but I know I went on deferred adjudication for a year with community service.