• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger m2008 or Stiller Tac 30?

Toast

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2011
    So Cal
    Hey guys: I'm going to build a 6.5 Creedmoor on an AICS 1.5 with a 26" barrel, Jewell trigger. I'm torn between the Badger m2008 and the Stiller Tac 30. They are about the same price. I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations between the two.

It is for target shooting and maybe competition. I'm really looking to build an accurate rifle. Thanks in advance for your input.

Badger:

m20081-300x182.jpg

badgeraction1x350.jpg

Stiller Tac-30
    stillertacticalx350.jpg

Re: Badger m2008 or Stiller Tac 30?

I have the exact rifle you describe:
    Badger M2008
    AICS 1.5
    Bartlien 1 in 8 barrel
    Jewell Trigger
    I can tell you that it is extremely accurate.
    I also have one in 308 and one in 7MM08 and the M2008 would be my choice again.

Im with shoot4fun,love the m2008

chunkier(ie heavier) than the stiller, but i like the throw!
    have no issues at all with the stiller(like mine)

I just got an M2008, and it is *the whip*, with the only downside being what I consider to be an overly tight clearance between bolt and receiver raceway. There again, I have action #22, so maybe Marty has increased clearance a little since then.

Anyway, it is a friggin tank. It is SOLID. The bolt disassembles in your hand in 2 seconds, literally. I love the 60* bolt lift, but that is just personal preference I suppose. The extraction/ejection is extremely positive. It takes AW mags which are so good, I can't believe the standard AICS magazines even exist. The barrel tenon length is longer than other actions - the claim is a better action/barrel joint. The locking lugs of the receiver are replaceable, so the "wear point" of the action can be replaced. Nearly all other actions are throw-aways if the lugs get worn or beat up. The pic-rail is unbelievably well-attached to the receiver.

I could on, but I won't.

The M2008 is a no-brainer.

I recently had to make this same decision.

Im picking up my M2008/.308/AW mags on Sunday from XRing Accuracy

I went with a 26" Rock and dropped it in a 1.5 w/Viperskins
    I had him do the bolt handle cutout block for me too...cant wait.

Ill post pics to help you decide...
    grin.gif

AL

I had this same choice awhile back. My M2008 just got back from IonBond...

M2008 have a .338 lapua and love it works excellent built really nice and heavy.

M2008, polish the cocking ramp, install a Tubb firing pin assembly, oil the bolt, and it will cycle like a Defiance action. It's also easy to bed and will hold a long straight tube.

ive got a trued up remmy action. i would kill to have the m2008 instead.

The Stiller (or any 700 coppy) will have a lighter bolt lift than the Badger or any 3 lug action. There are ways of improving this though. That being said its the only down side I could think of. I am a big fan of the 3 lug design, for me they are easier to operate with out disrupting my shooting position. You may also want to look at the Banards for your applications, just a thought:
    http://www.barnard.co.nz/actions.htm
    You may be stuck with the HS mags for the Barnard but they may be able to be modified to use the AICS or AW mags.

I have used and will continue to use both actions. They each have there place. While the initial const of the actions is comparable the Badger is likely to end up costing you a couple hundred more by the tie the rifle is done. The Tac 30 already has the finish done on it, and will bolt directly to the AICS you are intending to use. The Badger will require some type of finish to be applied, and requires modification of the AICS Chassis.

The rifle of mine tat sees more use than all the others cobined right now is on a Tac 30, but I'm getting parts together fom my next build which is using a Badger. Unless weight is a big concern I'd go with whichever one is available within budget and at the time you are ready to buy.

Badger, definitely.

I have one TAC30, but IMO, I wouldn't recommend that action for a rifle that will get much field use/abuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I have one TAC30, but IMO, I wouldn't recommend that action for a rifle that will get much field use/abuse.
    </div></div>

Did you have a failure or issue when running it in the field?

I have run a Stiller in some pretty nasty conditions with no issues at all. I ran it in some pretty nasty red Oklahoma dirt and south Texas sand.

Picked up my M2008 Saturday and while I was there
    I had a chance to check out a Tac30.

Theres nothing wrong with a Stiller action but
    Im glad I went with the Badger

Its AWESOME!!!

AL

As for the bolt lift issue all I did was put on my old Phoenix
    bolt knob that I had them machine for me with a diameter of 1.125" as
    opposed to their normal .825dia knobs.
    Applied a little action grease and the so called bolt lift poblem is a non issue.
    I simply added leverage like using a breaker bar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M2008, polish the cocking ramp, install a Tubb firing pin assembly, oil the bolt, and it will cycle like a Defiance action. It's also easy to bed and will hold a long straight tube. </div></div>

Uhhhhh how do I polish the cocking ramp? I can disassemble it, but, how do I polish it? 600 grit emery papers? Polishing compound? Sorry for the ignorance here. Noob.