• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger M5 bottom metal feeding issue

MILDOTZ

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
West Desert, Utah
I installed a new Badger M5 bottom metal to my 700P before last shoot. In practice and at the shoot I had it fail to pick-up next cartridge with 10 round AI mag. Also the mags fit pretty loose and have alot of play. Is this normal? Anyone else had this happen? Fixes?

Thanks,

Z

Re: Badger M5 bottom metal feeding issue

COAL too long? I run four rifles with M5's and they all have some "play" in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COAL too long? I run four rifles with M5's and they all have some "play" in them. </div></div>

+1.

Mags are a little loose but not sloppy. You have to watch COAL or rounds won't feed. That is most likely your issue.

Who did the install? It could also be the bottom metal isn't sitting deep enough.

I installed it myself (used supplied pillars), checked the specs and it seems to be deep enough. I did notice that when it didn't pick-up next cartridge if I held the mag with my support hand it fed fine. There is really alot of slop side to side and forward and back, more so with the 10 round mag, probably due to less support with more hanging outside the bottom metal. I haven't had any problems with the 5 round mag, the 10 are really nice for larger round count stages. I like what Surgeon did with their's, more support for the mag but I'm already vested in this one. Just wondering if there was a way to modify BM or Mag to take out some of the play.

Thanks,
Z

P.S. HATECA I love your replacement release, you'll be hearing from me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're using the pillars supplied by Badger? </div></div>

I bet this is the reason why your 10 rounder wont feed. i dont use those pillars on but my M5 is intelet just (close enough) like there were pillars from badger.

I did have some problems whit 10 rounders as well. 5 rounders did work just fine. I took my gun apart and notice that it was not "in specs". Quik fix and now its gtg.

You have dumm rounds? Use them and pull/press your mag while reloading and you can figure it out quite easily.

Or your COAL is too long. 73mm works just fine but 71.10mm wont work 100%.

You have dumm rounds? Use them and pull/press your mag while reloading and you can figure it out quite easily.

If you thing you are up to it you can too some work on your mags.

COAL is right there, the bolt rides right over the next round unless I hold mag stationary. I do have some dummy rounds I give that a whirl!

Thanks,
Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MilDotZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

P.S. HATECA I love your replacement release, you'll be hearing from me! </div></div>

My TAC LATCH is slightly longer so this should help. I have also noticed on some 5 and 10 rounders that the feed lips were pinched in a little too much. Might want to check and be sure they are the same as your GTG mags.

As for the fit of the mags, they are all a little sloppy. I tried to fix this with my bottom metal but found that aftermarket mags would no longer fit, so I had to go back and have the mag opening opened back up.