• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Ord FTE Brake

woodsy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
IL
Anyone know the OD of the "clamp" on the Badger FTE brake? I'm looking at this for a .260 build but don't want something that is much larger than the barrel diameter. Badger states that the OD is 1.375" but I'm assuming that is at it largest point. The clamping shoulder appears much smaller.

image.jpg
The FTE on my 338 measures 1.180" on the clamp. I think the FTE looks best on large barrels like mine.

Have one on a .925" barrel, not to obnoxious looking, but i also don't mind the barrel nut on a savage. It is a very efficient brake, but i would look at a thruster or ops inc brake. Efficient enough for 260 and still fairly low profile.

Thanks guys! I believe it's going to look a bit out of place on a barrel that will measure apx .885" at the muzzle. The micro FTE could work but I'm not too crazy about the 1/2x28 thread. It would work but that's not a lot of meat left between the bore and thread. I'll look in to the Thruster or Ops Inc brakes to see if they might work/look a bit better.

woodsy,

By all means take a look at the Thruster, it may not have the cool guy look of the FTE but they flat ass work!
My 7wsm with a thruster has less recoil than my .308 with the can on, and a little more than an AR.
I also have an FTE which is a great brake, but for it's size the thruster works great.
YMMV

Chet

Reactions: TacT-MecH
Anyone know where to find a Thruster?? My seach-foo must be weak because I cannot find the darned thing. I found an Ops Inc but I'd like to try the Thruster. I have an Ops on an AR-10 in .243 and, although it works very well, it is one loud SOB.

Within reason, appearance is secondary to this project. I'm wanting something that will allow hits to be observed through the scope (again, within reason).

i have an fte on a 308 and its REALLY effective, but kinda overkill at the same time. its big and bulky but looks pretty cool. the other thing to consider is if you have a heavier contour barrel you have to not only thread for the brake, but also turn the barrel down for the clamp part too. similar to what you have to do with a surefire 338 brakes but not as much. the thruster, or something similar like a holland brake, would be the way to go on almost any already manageable recoil round.

Yes, but cannot order direct (at least that I can see). Checking the links and other sources reveals nothing. I'm beginning to think these things are vaporware.

Thanks guys! I believe it's going to look a bit out of place on a barrel that will measure apx .885" at the muzzle.

I put a FTE brake on a barrel that was around 0.925" at the muzzle (Rem factory varmint profile cut to 21" long), and I thought it looked just fine. Make no mistake; no one ever complimented that rifle on its clean lines or minimalist appearance ;)

I have a question on this topic, I just purchased an FTE .800 Dia. 5/8-24 thread, (Part# 1005-306-38B)and once I received it, it does not clear my factory AI-AT 24" 6.5 barrel. It seems like the overall dia. of the AT barrel is to large for the brake. does anyone know if I just ordered the wrong FTE?
Thank you.

1598802119459.png

As seen in this diagram, barrel requires to be machined to .800 dia, this is where the clamp will tight on your barrel to ensure perfect fit / alignement. Note that FTE needs the hole to be bachined to your caliber too. It is .25 by default.

Mini FTE is easier to install without gunsmith work involved.

This is probably what you want: MINI FTE :

1598802580088.png