• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Ordnance M2013

BCX

Powder Consumer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2018
    Any BO M2013 users here? Looking for feed back...

Reactions: TacT-MecH
    Locks up tight but runs smooth, no binding? Is the picatinny base pinned also?

Also do you know the weight difference compared to a Surgeon action?

The base has two pins plus 4 8-40 base screws, it weights more than the 1086 long action and less than the 1581 xl, to me the bolt feels fine both the action and bolt are cerakoted it only took 300 rounds to smooth out but that's the cerakote and not the action, it is very well made. I had a surgeon action and I would take the M2013 over a surgeon any day, and as far as bolt lift goes I have no problems with it.

Montrose

Only negative I have with my Badger is the stock/chassis options. I had my action melonited and it’s smooth to run. But DLC is also an option if you’re not gonna Cerakote it.

Heavy bolt lift, even for a 3 lug action IMO.

Otherwise pretty solid actions.

Any reason you aren't looking at the TEMPEST? Basically a 2013 in a 700 profile action.
    My buddy ran one last year and i wasn't really impressed when i shot it. Plus its not made in a long mag action.

Built like a tank, great ergonomics with 60 degree bolt throw and swept bolt handle. Coupled with AW mags, lets you top off through the ejection port. Lots of excellent actions in this price range, the M2013 doesn't give up any competative advantage to any of them. At this level it comes down to personal preference. If you like the feel of an Accuracy International, you'll be happy with an M2013.

Whats the actual difference besides barrel changes between the M2013 and an AI?

from a few years ago:
    this was a BO or defiance question

I've handled both a fair bit. Choosing between them really comes down to:

1. Weight - The BO action is considerably heavier than the Defiance. Not sure exactly now much, but you notice it in your hand. The BO is not top choice for a lightweight build. However, the heavier action weight of the BO allows for a heavier contour barrel while maintaining the all-important BALANCE.

2. Bolt lift and throw (60º vs 90º) - While the M2013 bolt lift is improved over the M2008, it is still much heavier than the Defiance. You've really got to experience it "in action" to determine if it's a problem though. I don't mind the BO boltlift at all, my partner can't stand it. He does acknowledge though, the increased bolthandle/scope clearance provided by the BO is nice, and he loves how it almost seems to return to battery all by itself. Still, he just doesn't dig the increased force required to cock the action. It is what it is and this is a key point on your decision.

3. Stock options - Not a big issue, as all the big stock/chassis makers will inlet for the BO, or modify the chassis to fit the BO. However, you can just about forget finding a second hand stock for the BO, while you see them all day everyday here on the hide for the 700 clones like the Defiance.

4. Barrel interchangeability - probably hardly worth mentioning, but I will anyway. Barrels interchange from one BO action to the next, which is great for a switch barrel setup. However, I suspect the Deviant would allow for this too, even though they don't really make the claim.

Thanks for the info. Could you post a video of you working the action? I’m curious on the bolt lift after dropping the firing pin.....

Last edited:
    Whats the actual difference besides barrel changes between the M2013 and an AI?
    The current AI series of rifles/actions use a a "Quickloc" barrel change system. There is a pinch ring inside the action which is tightened with a 4mm hex key after the barrel is threaded into the action. The M2013 does not have that feature and barrel changes are made using a action wrench and barrel vise.

I've owned both an AI and a M2013. With the exception of the safety and the Quickloc, they are nearly identical. The M2013 does not have the safety built into the bolt shroud as the AI does so it can use aftermarket Remington 700 pattern triggers.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    Thanks for the info. Could you post a video of you working the action? I’m curious on the bolt lift after dropping the firing pin.....
    A video isn't going to give you the feel of the bolt lift, but this video shows bolt being functioned from a pin forward condition. The weight differential between a 60 degree and 90 degree bolt lift isn't going to slow you down. It's a matter of personal preference.

Here's a M2013.

Last edited:
    Reactions: goneballistic
    Badger 2013 in 300wm, action is Super smooth. If it has heavy bolt lift I sure don't notice it.

Several of my shooting partners have shot it with No complaints.

In fact when we have are get together shoot for fun days my buddies 12 year old son is given the choice to shoot any rifle he wants,
    his first choice : The Badger 2013/300wm

I would never run a 2013 due to the extremely heavy bolt lift. IMHO anyone who competitively compares them to an AI is out of their mind.

funny this thread popped up. I was just inquiring about the m2013 last night.

Badger 2013 in 300wm, action is Super smooth. If it has heavy bolt lift I sure don't notice it.

Several of my shooting partners have shot it with No complaints.

In fact when we have are get together shoot for fun days my buddies 12 year old son is given the choice to shoot any rifle he wants,
    his first choice : The Badger 2013/300wm

This is true. Jetmd's Badger 2013/300wm is by far one of MY favorite rifles to shoot (so much so my 300wm is going up for sale to fund a new win mag build.) The badger 2013 is very smooth, solid and running the bolt boasts confidence and quality. I would suggest maybe making a call to Badger sometime and asking some questions. I'm sure Marty would answer them.

There’s all kinds of options but it’s all about personal preference. Run what you want.

I prefer Surgeons myself but wanted to try a Badger M2013 on my next long action mag build. I just don't want to drop 1400 on a action w a heavy bolt lift or binding bolt. I have made that expensive mistake before lol..

I would never run a 2013 due to the extremely heavy bolt lift. IMHO anyone who competitively compares them to an AI is out of their mind.
    I've owned, shot, and competed with both. They have the same bolt lift, and are virtually identical. I don't know what you consider "extremely heavy bolt lift", but neither my AI AX or M2013 is any heavier than a Sako, Tikka, or a GAP Tempest.

If you want a one finger bolt lift, yeah, look elsewhere. But if you like the AI action, but not the ergonomics or the price, then the M2013 is a great choice. As for stocks/chassis - MPA, McMillan, Manners, Badger has KRG Whisky 3, are all available and if you ever have a question, the owner answers the phone. You could do a lot worse.

The current AI series of rifles/actions use a a "Quickloc" barrel change system. There is a pinch ring inside the action which is tightened with a 4mm hex key after the barrel is threaded into the action. The M2013 does not have that feature and barrel changes are made using a action wrench and barrel vise.

I've owned both an AI and a M2013. With the exception of the safety and the Quickloc, they are nearly identical. The M2013 does not have the safety built into the bolt shroud as the AI does so it can use aftermarket Remington 700 pattern triggers.

Ok, thats what I was thinking. Still going to go with an AT (system as a whole more robust that individual parts). Sounds like the M2013 is a good option in comparison if you like other stock options.

A (more than likely) silly question regarding the M2013: Can it accept/be modified to take the AX338 double stack magazines?

A (more than likely) silly question regarding the M2013: Can it accept/be modified to take the AX338 double stack magazines?
    Give Marty a call at Badger. I've never gotten into the 338 game, but the M2013 Long Action Magnum lists Lapua Magnum based calibers.

Ok, thats what I was thinking. Still going to go with an AT (system as a whole more robust that individual parts). Sounds like the M2013 is a good option in comparison if you like other stock options.
    You won't be disappointed with the AT. Now just buy the folder so you can use SAMB300's thumb rest.

Thought about that @Praeger, but I’m going fixed and will probably epoxy the rest on.

Last edited:
    Give Marty a call at Badger. I've never gotten into the 338 game, but the M2013 Long Action Magnum lists Lapua Magnum based calibers.

Thanks mate, I’ll have to contact Badger. I was looking at the AXMC but it doesn’t serve the purpose of this rifle, I’d still like the action or similar, since it’ll be a long range hunting gun with a spare plinking barrel, the M2013 will serve the purpose. Particularly since it’ll be dropped into a carbon manners and I don’t want to drop over $10k here on an AI and then cannibalise it

The bolt lift is stiffer than a 2 lug, but not enough that I notice it in use. Mine is Ionbonded, it’s slick. I’ve been planning a .300WM build at some point, I’ll most likely use a LA version for it.

Reactions: Rebelirons
    I've owned, shot, and competed with both. They have the same bolt lift, and are virtually identical. I don't know what you consider "extremely heavy bolt lift", but neither my AI AX or M2013 is any heavier than a Sako, Tikka, or a GAP Tempest.

If you want a one finger bolt lift, yeah, look elsewhere. But if you like the AI action, but not the ergonomics or the price, then the M2013 is a great choice. As for stocks/chassis - MPA, McMillan, Manners, Badger has KRG Whisky 3, are all available and if you ever have a question, the owner answers the phone. You could do a lot worse.

I’ve owned an aiaemk3, AIaT, and shot 10-15 more AX’s. I’ve shot a sample size of 2 2013’s. The bolt lift wasn’t compareable in the least. I could run EVERY AI without my sight picture being disrupted on positional stages.

With the badger...good fuckin luck.

I shot and handled a couple of 08 and 13 actions in custom guns yesterday. I happened to also be shooting my AI at the time. None of them seemed heavy to me, I shot them all off of barricades and GC's and stuff. I'd be happy to use any of them.

I guess my bolt lift meter isn't properly calibrated or something.

I do think that the Tikka T3 is basically the lightweight version of an AI, so if a traditional stock and a lighter weight is wanted, I like that option. For a full weight action but not an AI, I really liked the 2008 and the 2013.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JeffLebowski
    I’ve owned an aiaemk3, AIaT, and shot 10-15 more AX’s. I’ve shot a sample size of 2 2013’s. The bolt lift wasn’t compareable in the least. I could run EVERY AI without my sight picture being disrupted on positional stages.

With the badger...good fuckin luck.
    My experience has been different than yours then. I bought an AI Mk III brand new in the box and its bolt throw was stiffer than my M2013 was new. My AI AX was my match gun for a year and it was appreciably smoother than the MkIII's out of the box, but it had thousands of bolt cycles. I can tell you, when you lay an AI and a M2013 bolt next to each other - except for the safety - they have identical cocking pieces, cocking ramp, and firing pin assemblies - and that's what dictates bolt lift. My M2013 bolt cycled in my AI action, and I could interchange the firing pin assemblies.

I don't doubt what you say, I just think there is an explanation other than the design, materials, fit/finish of the M2013.

I prefer the 3 position safety. I wonder if i could buy the action and a AI bolt than headspace off that setup. Time to call Badger tomorrow!

I prefer the 3 position safety. I wonder if i could buy the action and a AI bolt than headspace off that setup. Time to call Badger tomorrow!
    AI doesn't sell actions separately. You'd need to find a donor rifle - not worth it in my view. The three position safety just allows you to lock the bolt so it can't be removed. Aftermarket triggers (Timney in my case) will allow the bolt to be functioned in the "Safe" position. To me it's redundant. Great that it's standard in the factory AI, but nothing I'd take steps to replicate.

Resurrecting an old thread but I've been mulling it over for a while. What is the mechanical difference other than trigger and safety between an AI and an M2013?

Resurrecting an old thread but I've been mulling it over for a while. What is the mechanical difference other than trigger and safety between an AI and an M2013?
    They are virtually identical. Bolt, breech ring, action body. Only difference is the new AI actions have a quick change barrel system - A 4mm screw tightens a ring around the barrel tenon.

Started another thread on the m2013, but i got to thinking and started to make another thread for the current 3-lug long actions on the market can they use AI AX/AXMC 300 win double stack mags? That would be reason enough to go with a M2013 or Curtis LA over a 2-lug IMHO.

Reactions: jb41291