• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Ordnance Vs. Nightforce Rings & Rail.

az_usmc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
Arizona, USA
I have a Nightforce NXS and I want to mount it on my .300 Win Mag. I am pretty set on Badger Ordnance products but as good as the scope is, I’m wondering if I should keep the mounting hardware with the scope rather than purchase B.O. Products. What are your feelings on the Nightforce Rings and Rails compared to Badger Ordnance?

Re: Badger Ordnance Vs. Nightforce Rings & Rail.

I've never used either of the ones you mentioned, but don't overlook the Seekins.
I've got them on 3 guns and they are first class.

Nightforce rails and rings are first class as well, you should no hesitation using them.

I had the DTA rings on my rifle and took them off and got the nightforce rings. They are both top notch and you wont regret either one.

I have Badger rings with my NF NXS and I have no complaints.

Both are good kit. I'm running Badger...
015-3.jpg

I run Badger rail and rings with Nightforce scope. No issues.

Badger and Seekins is what I would recommend you go with!!

Nightforce UL rings have done the job for me. I recently came into possession of a set of USO rings. My first exposure to their rings, but I'm pleased with them also.

After buying the NF scope from a HIDE vendor, I also purchased the rail and rings in NF as well. So far so good.

I use NF and Badger rings but basically only Badger rails. Both products and both companies are top notch with a high value placed on quality and customer service.

I have badgers, NF's, and USO rings. I prefer badgers over NF's. Same goes for the rail

Nightforce is great. I've got other brands but I have found that sticking with then from the top of the reciever to the scope itself has not let me down. Good stuff.

IMO after having both, I would say that they are both very good. But the badger rings edge the night force rings out by a butt hair due to machining quality and how tight their tolerances are. Next time I won't bother lapping the badger rings because they are dead on out of the box. In comparison Leupold Mk4 rings need lapping in my experience.

Everyone is expressing an opinion, and some are expressing a non-opinion that all are great products, but no one is stating what the issues might be and <span style="font-style: italic">why </span>they hold that opinion.

A few years ago Nighforce scopes had the reputation of having thick tubes: meaning that the outside dimensions were fat. Back then people (NF people, mostly) used to recommend using NF rings with NF scopes. I have found that it really doesn't matter.

I have also found no meaningful difference between NF and Badger rings (the Seekins are of a different design), but the NF lows are lower than the Badger lows, so that might be a plus for some.

None of the rings mentioned should need lapping. The issue with NF scopes is that on occasion the tubes can be fat. Measure the front and back of the scope tube where the rings will go. Rings are .002 over. If the tube is less than .004 over no lapping is required.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the better question: Aluminum vs. steel.

I was going with the idea that there was no sense in using aluminum rings on a tactical rifle
wink.gif
. Naturally I follow the thought process of, if its not broken don't fix it. Our DM rifles, SASR and the M40A5's all use steel rings so if it isn't broke why try to fix it. Naturally I am also the guy that uses Devcon on my pic rail to make sure its perfectly married to the receiver because I am fanatical like that.

Reactions: aku

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going with the idea that there was no sense in using aluminum rings on a tactical rifle
wink.gif
. </div></div>

I disagree.
I never thought I would evolve into this opinion but never the less, I find myself here.

All current scope tubes on all current production scopes are aluminum. Those tubes are filled with glass, springs, bushings, helical gears, plastic, brass and no telling what else. With that in mind, if your rifle takes the brunt of a fall or crashes down some stairs with you, what do you think is going to be the weak link???? I'm thinking your scope, especially with the bulk of it hanging out of each end of your rings and all those juicy turrets sticking out like antenae.

I have been using the NF Ultra rings for the last 4 years. They are built from 7075-T6 and Titanium. Nothing to rust or corrode. Never needed to lap any. Machined surfaces are all excellent with no sharp edges where the scope tube sits,. . or anywhere else for that matter. And here is a biggie, the plate under the cross bolt nut is very robust and is very unlikely to crack or break. Some other brands can and do.

The only time I do not use these rings is when the rifle specs dictate SimRad compatiblity. Since no SimRad mount is being made to work with the NF rings, I use Badger or Leupy rings in those instances. I continue to install the NF Ultra rings on everything including .338LM, .338NM and .300NM with nothing but reliable performance and happy customers.

In short, if the rings are tougher and more rigid than your scope, further discussion of aluminum vs. steel rings is a fairly moot point.

Marty is a very smart man and a successful business owner. If you go to his Badger website, you will find a lot of the ring models available in aluminum alloy. Why would the man produce and sell an aluminum ring to this market? Pretty sure he knows they will hold their own against steel in these applications.

One other thought. . ..
All of the embedded type forward night vision mounts that I know of are manufactured from high dollar, aircraft grade aluminum. These mounts are responsible for receiving and retaining units ranging in weight from 2.5 to 4.5 pounds while under recoil, movement and handling. These NV units cost $8-20K. At 2-3X the weight of the typical scope and 4-8X the cost, why would anyone produce a mount for these units that wasn't steel? I prefer to think that it is because these aluminum alloys get the job done with plenty of safety margin and at a lower weight.

Just sharing my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">too bad it seems nightforce doesn't make 1 inch rings </div></div>

Probably because they don't make scopes with 1 inch tubes.

Reactions: Smokin7s

i run nightforce, the ultra light rings are lighter and stronger than most others,

This is kinda like the Savage vs Remington accuracy debate. Both sets of rings are top notch. That said I am running Badger rings on my NF scope.

I'm using NF UL rings as I believe they are tougher than most if not all the scopes out there. They hold tight enough. I also like the configuration below with all the toys. Even without the toys they are a good choice. I like my scopes as low as possible and NF low ones are low. Seekins a nice choice, Badger too. Best rings are always worth the investment.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/IMG_4329.jpg

Marine, I have the BO USMC rings. Couldnt ask for anything more. Semper Fi.

Reactions: aku

Flip a coin sounds like either will work just fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have also found no meaningful difference between NF and Badger rings (the Seekins are of a different design), but the NF lows are lower than the Badger lows, so that might be a plus for some.
</div></div>

Graham,

Usually your posts are spot on, but in this case I think you may be mistaken:

NF 30mm Ring heights:

.885, 1.00, 1.125, 1.265, 1.375

Badger Ordnance 30mm Ring Heights:

.823, .885, 1.00, 1.031 USMC DMR's, 1.125 USMC SASR's, 1.25, 1.40

So Badger lows are .823 vs NF lows .885.

Bob

I don't know, I just purchased the night force one piece rings/base with 20 MOA because i wanted the forward cant for my AR10 and the extra 20 MOA, its all in Michigan and I'm in Kuwait, guess i will give you a report when i get home and get it mounted. I know that's not much help but i have the day off and I'm board.

Hello Gentlemen,

My experience has been that when fitting rings to all different types of rifles the most important consideration has been the ring height. The closest quality ring manufacturer will get my business and also availability is an important factor because it seems that scope rings are produced in production runs just like everything else and when the present run is sold out it may be a while before you can get more. Steel or Aluminum, I don't care as long as I can get the height and tube diameter I need.

Cheers,

I have a NF scope with badger max 50 rings on my AR50 and everyrhing is still were it was from day one.