• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Badger rings QC?

Tiktac

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2013
Australia
Hi everyone, great to be part of the sniper hide community..
Unfortunately my first post isn't a positive one.
I've recently purchased a badger USMC 34mm ring for my s&b pm2 from euro optic(top service), after opening
the plastic packaging I immediately cleaned the excess grease only to notice the blemishes allover the finish!!!
I showed my wife and would not believe it was brand new..
I tried to ignore it for the time being and proceeded to mount my scope as per normal.
Scope mounted, I then decide a couple of days later I want to reposition my eye relief to my surprise the rings have left noticeable marks on my brand new s&b!!!!!! Piss off to say the lease.....Has anyone else had this issue
With these rings?

I've contacted badger about these but what's done is done..
Just pretty disappointed with these "high quality rings"

Tiktac

A. who cares about the finish ont he rings. Paint them or leave them

B. Most rings will leave marks. Were they propperly torqued?

Well, I would like to see a picture in order to respond to the "blemished finish." Without a doubt, the Badger finish is much less polished than other manufacturers (which incidentaly suits me just fine.) The only way to substantially reduce the possibility of ring marks is to use a lapping bar. Most often ring marks are the result of improper tightening of the rings and/or misalignment of the mount/bearing surface. I know you don't want your $3K USD tube to be marked, but I don't know if I've ever seen one that after some use doesn't have "some" evidence of mounting.

A. who cares about the finish ont he rings. Paint them or leave them

B. Most rings will leave marks. Were they propperly torqued?

Using the borka tool...you may not care but when Iam outlaying couple of $$$ for rings to mount a 3k scope I'd want them to do its job and at least look like they haven't been used!!!

"Most ring will leave marks " but not all!!
My mate has a similar setup but he uses seekins rings not a
Single mark........ And I mounted them for him!

Using the borka tool...you may not care but when Iam outlaying couple of $$$ for rings to mount a 3k scope I'd want them to do its job and at least look like they haven't been used!!!

These are tools for combat or combat sport. If you want it to look pretty and display it like artwork, then hang it on a wall or shelf/

Its going to get banged, dented, scraped ect if you ever plan on taking it into the field. Just taking it to the bench and back, you are going to get your pretty finish messed up. Paint over it or leave it as is.

If you can't handle that, then maybe you should look into another sport/hobby like birdwatching or stamp collecting.

These are tools for combat or combat sport. If you want it to look pretty and display it like artwork, then hang it on a wall or shelf/

Its going to get banged, dented, scraped ect if you ever plan on taking it into the field. Just taking it to the bench and back, you are going to get your pretty finish messed up. Paint over it or leave it as is.

If you can't handle that, then maybe you should look into another sport/hobby like birdwatching or stamp collecting.

All I asked was if anyone had the same issue as I did, not for some guy and his "tools of combat" to give a lecture about how I should look after my gear!!!!! I can handle scratches, dents misfortunes on my gear just not when it's new out of the box. You may like buying "new" gear that looks used but I don't.

Well, I would like to see a picture in order to respond to the "blemished finish." Without a doubt, the Badger finish is much less polished than other manufacturers (which incidentaly suits me just fine.) The only way to substantially reduce the possibility of ring marks is to use a lapping bar. Most often ring marks are the result of improper tightening of the rings and/or misalignment of the mount/bearing surface. I know you don't want your $3K USD tube to be marked, but I don't know if I've ever seen one that after some use doesn't have "some" evidence of mounting.

Thanks for the reply
Tiktac

The tough guy "combat tool" types will sure try to beat you to death on the sale price if your tube is gouged up. I always lap my rings to avoid the marks and have sold many slightly used S&B scopes that appeared new. Only a fool disregards the care of any costing 3800 USD.

I am not impressed with Badger rings either - they will chew up a scope's finish pretty bad (even torqued to spec). I switched a couple years ago to nothing but Seekins or NightForce UL's and have had no rings marks since!!

Last edited:
Most people here buy guns and accsesories to actualy use them. I guess there are those that buy them beacuse they look cool or to brag to others.

Guns are nothing but tools to acomplish a job.

Protip* Its called snipershide.com not prettyriflesIdontshoot.com

The tough guy "combat tool" types will sure try to beat you to death on the sale price if your tube is gouged up. I always lap my rings to avoid the marks and have sold many slightly used S&B scopes that appeared new. Only a fool disregards the care of any costing 3800 USD.

Only a fool would spend 4 grand on an item with astonishing diminishing returns, only to never use those features. They are optics that are optimized for combat and military applications. Usually that involves more than Case from truck to covered bench and back.

Like I said, If you are concerned about a little comsetic blemish on a combat weapon, then perhaps this is the wrong hobby/sport for you.

Cobra,
Only a fool who craps on his gear gets astonishing diminishing returns on it. What makes you think people who take care of their gear never use the features of it? I shoot and field carry my rifles and scopes over 200 days per year. Likely closer to 300. Much of it at night.

I have bought and sold dozens of S&B, NF and USO scopes at a net profit after use. Scopes are also used for sporting and target uses. Most of them actually.

Nor does anyone need you telling them what hobby/sport to participate in. If you want to beat the crap out of your gear, go ahead. Sort of a cool way to feel tough without actually being so, I guess. No one cares, just as we do not care that you do not change your underwear, take a bath or shave.

I have carried my gear on 5 continents over 30 years. Seen much of it stolen, damaged, burned and exploded and sunk to the bottom of the sea. Fired hundreds of thousands of rounds. Still no need to crap on it.

Now, go beat the hell out of your Countersniper. Use all the features.

RTH,

Thats a really nicely worded prop piece for yourself, but color me not impressed.

Now please, show me where I said to mistreat your gear? It may take you a while beacuse I have never said it.

You must be one hell of a tier 1 captain america superhero operator to be able to take your gear into austere conditions and have it all come back looking like the day it came off the assembly line. For us mere mortals, use of our gear usualy results in wear/tear and the occational scratch or ding.

Now , reading comprehension may not be your strong suite, so if you need me to break this down further.... just let me know.

Most people here buy guns and accsesories to actualy use them. I guess there are those that buy them beacuse they look cool or to brag to others.

Your obviously on this post not help but to put shit on people!!!
At least I know who to contact when I want to sell my banged up scope for new prices!!!

This is interesting to me, I mounted a new scope in badger 30mm rings and will be taking it out this weekend, so I'm going to be very interested to see if I have marks.

I torqued using a FAT wrench to spec, so I suppose I will see. I did not lap the rings.

I also have a set of 34mm USMC Badger rings to mount the new incoming scope.

Its a tool so I'm not that fussed if it leaves marks, but I am replacing these scopes at my own cost, so I'd like to recover as much as possible on the outgoing scope, and ring marks are not conducive to such an endeavor.

I see the arguments from both sides, but all things being equal, they 'shouldn't' leave marks. It'll be a shame if they do as a general rule.

I think I fully expressed that my gear has been damaged, stolen and destroyed. ( It's that reading comprehension thing again ) I just see no reason to gouge it up on purpose. Properly lapped and fitted rings should not do so and most would not be happy about it. What if the OP decided to try a new reticule? Now he will take a beating on the scope. Would not be the case if the gouge would not have been there.
I do not think it unreasonable to infer that you do not protect or maintain your gear as you take "astonishing diminishing returns" on it. Most of us do not.
Anytime someone says "color me...." I start suspecting transgender.... Most of us are fine with whatever color we started with. How is that countersniper doing?

So you can buy 2 different brands of rings that serve the same function & 1 brand leaves ring marks and the other brand doesn't, you'll buy the brand that leaves the ring marks???

Betcha you like tater tots too!!

RTH,

Thats a really nicely worded prop piece for yourself, but color me not impressed.

Now please, show me where I said to mistreat your gear? It may take you a while beacuse I have never said it.

You must be one hell of a tier 1 captain america superhero operator to be able to take your gear into austere conditions and have it all come back looking like the day it came off the assembly line. For us mere mortals, use of our gear usualy results in wear/tear and the occational scratch or ding.

Now , reading comprehension may not be your strong suite, so if you need me to break this down further.... just let me know.

See above quote from the toughest guy on the internet!

Cobracutter:

You cut big ole trees for a living, have a rainbow painted rifle, & go by "Big Stick" on another forum??

If so, no explanation necessary!!

I've had the same problem. Badger rings I bought around four years ago work fine and have left light acceptable marks to no marks at all, however, the badger rings I have bought in the last two years have left deep unacceptable marks on my scopes and were replaced with other brand rings, but too late the damage is done. I like my USMC rings, I have no beef with badger and I no longer have gouges in my new scopes

So you can buy 2 different brands of rings that serve the same function & 1 brand leaves ring marks and the other brand doesn't, you'll buy the brand that leaves the ring marks???

Betcha you like tater tots too!!

FAWWWWWK NO...... Hash browns all the way.... we aren't savages

Well... that's just the shove I needed to get off the fence and give those Spuhr rings I've been pining after a try ;)! Hello, Mile High...?

I too have had the finish on a S&B beat up by Badger rings. There are burrs & blemishes on the inside. They are tough as nails but must be lapped. Running Seekins now others above.