• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger thruster/VAIS owner feedback?

Raufoss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Missouri
Hi

I would like to ear opinion form owner of thruster muzzle brake and VAIS brake.

Any POI shift?
Quality of the brake?
Performance?

thanks

My opinion is that the Thruster is the best brake out there for money. I've got two on my win mags and not only do they make it feel less than a .308... They have no effect on your poi at all. Now you do have to consider the fact that a smith has to install it and open the crown up for whatever round your shooting plus 20/1000". I'm lucky enough to have a really good friend who put mine on for free.... They will blow your ears out though so make sure you wear plugs!!!

My opinion is that the Thruster is the best brake out there for money. I've got two on my win mags and not only do they make it feel less than a .308... They have no effect on your poi at all. Now you do have to consider the fact that a smith has to install it and open the crown up for whatever round your shooting plus 20/1000". I'm lucky enough to have a really good friend who put mine on for free.... They will blow your ears out though so make sure you wear plugs!!!

I have to second this. I have one on my 300WM and it kicks about like my AW with AI break.

I have a Thruster on my Remington .308. The 308 is doesn't have much recoil to begin with, but the Thruster really takes is down.
As long as you shoot with ear pro, you'll love a Thruster. Leave your ear pro at home one time and you will never forget to bring it again.

I ask because my gunsmith suggest the badger fte for my build but i find it bulky.

He have some good point
Here he's explaination:

As for why we use Badger FTE

#1 Ease of removal with simple tools, this might not matter to you but some people like to clean the gills as they get built up. Also we shoot in competition which does not permit brakes.

#2 Timing. Even if a brake is properly timed at 12 o clock, the threads will stretch through normal shooting and will turn a few degrees over time, hence most smiths undertime the brake and as the brake gets shot, it gets timed into position.

#3 Ease of timing, We switch barrels so much thats the same barrel times differently on different actions, this way you can time the brake to the barrel action combination. You can also time your brake as the threads get stretched to ensure 12 o clock position.

#4 clamp style, the clamp screw absolutely positively ensures the brake never moves. Very important.

#5 Side ports, we prefer brakes that do not have ports on the bottom as the dust get kicked up and obstructs the spotters view.

#6 Effective recoil reduction, large gills are effective to minimize recoil, although only 2 gills, research has shown anything over 2 gills is just extra weight.

#7 Weight, the weight of the brake is beneficial to widening accuracy node, anything over 4 oz is fine. Of course, not too heavy.