• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badlands ICBM 255 ELR performance

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Kennewick, WA
Not sure the best forum to post this so please redirect if I'm in the wrong spot.....

I finally got a decent load for the Badlands ICBM 255gr .338 cal bullet last week. Running a bit slow at 2855 out of my 26" barrel, but it had an SD of 7 across 9 rounds and was pretty solid .75moa so I decided to stretch it out. I put a couple rounds on a full size IPSC at 1820 with satisfactory results so I pushed further to 2510 yards. At 2510 yards I was really struggling..... really didn't feel like there was any consistency to where my bullets were going vs POA. I finally managed to make 1 hit (30" circle) on my last and final 15th round.

Is it just me, or does this impact look like the bullet hit the plate sideways? Is it possible my bullets have lost stability at that distance?

I plan to go back to load development and push speed higher but no matter how fast I push, the bullet won't be supersonic at that kind of distance anymore.

IMG_5533.jpg

First question what are you shooting 338 Lapua. If so that's quite a poke for the Lapua. Second question are you fully stabilized on your twist rate are marginally stabilized. Third question what seating debths have you tried and have you loaded full adder in 1/3 or 1/2 increments ? all the way up to slight change of boat lift?

First question what are you shooting 338 Lapua. If so that's quite a poke for the Lapua. Second question are you fully stabilized on your twist rate are marginally stabilized. Third question what seating debths have you tried and have you loaded full adder in 1/3 or 1/2 increments ? all the way up to slight change of boat lift?

Ah yes, I failed to mention I am running 338LM.

Regarding twist rate, that I'm not sure about. I have 1/9.4 twist so I bought the 255 gr ICBM as that is the bullet weight that's listed for use with my twist. Unsure how to determine the level of stabilization I'm actually getting however.

Load development was a challenge for me but finally switching to retumbo powder got me to what I feel like is a decent spot. I did my initial ladder test loaded at .025 jump, 1 round in .4 gr increments to get an idea of speed and where a node might be, I ran this up until I got heavy bolt lift. Then I moved to a 3rd ladder test in .2gr increments in the area where it seemed like my node was (91.0 & 91.4)..... 91.2/91.4 were getting me an average of 2900 fps across the 6 rds I fired. Grouping however was about 1.25" across the 6 rounds.

Next I moved to seating depth. Using 91.3 grs, I tested .050, 075, .090 and .0105 jump. In this test I found .075 & .090 jump provided me .5-.75" 3 shot groups.

From here I loaded up 9 rds (3, 3 shot groups) at 91.3 grs retumbo, .075 jump and shot as a confirmation test. It was these 9 rounds quoted in the original post for speed & SD. It was these 9 rounds where I also realized my load had slowed down from that initial ladder.

Given my load has slowed down due to seating depth change, I believe I need to redo a ladder and get the speed back but I'm still wondering if maybe I'm asking too much of the bullet/ 338LM at 2510.

Sounds like you did a lot of work I would highly suggest to see if you can get your hands on some reloder 26 and try one more lladder at.010 off lands. not only will you get higher velocity but it's not as temperamental as retembo. I seriously have a love-hate relationship with retembo

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Sounds like you did a lot of work I would highly suggest to see if you can get your hands on some reloder 26 and try one more lladder at.010 off lands. not only will you get higher velocity but it's not as temperamental as retembo. I seriously have a love-hate relationship with retembo

Reloader 26 isn't one I have tried yet, I'll keep my eye out for some. For what it's worth I have shot some .010 jump using US869.... Accuracy was really bad but that might have also been powder. Either way, I think I am going to revisit load development given the performance I saw yesterday.

Curious what kind of speed would be normal with a 255 out of a 26" 338LM? I've been thinking 2900-2950 is reasonable.

ETA: I've also got N568 powder..... Wonder if that might be a better fit for the 255gr in the 338LM?

Reloader 26 isn't one I have tried yet, I'll keep my eye out for some. For what it's worth I have shot some .010 jump using US869.... Accuracy was really bad but that might have also been powder. Either way, I think I am going to revisit load development given the performance I saw yesterday.

Curious what kind of speed would be normal with a 255 out of a 26" 338LM? I've been thinking 2900-2950 is reasonable.

ETA: I've also got N568 powder..... Wonder if that might be a better fit for the 255gr in the 338LM?
568 will work it's a little bit on the slow side for light bullets. It is one of the reasons why I suggested reloder 26 because you are running light bullets u.s. 869 is perhaps one of the worst powders on the market. It's got some serious issues however is extremely slow and does have some unfortunate applications most of the ICBM two bullets that I have shot seemed to like it closer to lands with the Lapua you should be able to be over 3000 feet per second with reloder 26

Reactions: m1ajunkie
I'd suggest you give a call to Badlands with your batch number of bullets just to make sure it isn't from the batches that had some problems in production.

I'd suggest you give a call to Badlands with your batch number of bullets just to make sure it isn't from the batches that had some problems in production.

Not a bad idea, didn't think about this being some kind of production issue.

Thanks

Not a bad idea, didn't think about this being some kind of production issue.

Thanks

Another piece of data you might want to have when you call them (they are pretty good at helping you work things out),

Get out your calipers and micrometer and measure the exact diameter of the rounds that you currently have, then see if you can get the exact inside diameter of your barrel.

Also if you can recover one of your fired rounds and get a couple good pictures of it, that can be a big help.

Another piece of data you might want to have when you call them (they are pretty good at helping you work things out),

Get out your calipers and micrometer and measure the exact diameter of the rounds that you currently have, then see if you can get the exact inside diameter of your barrel.

Also if you can recover one of your fired rounds and get a couple good pictures of it, that can be a big help.

Awesome, thank you! The only bullet I've been able to recover is one that hit my plate so it's pretty well wrecked.

Awesome, thank you! The only bullet I've been able to recover is one that hit my plate so it's pretty well wrecked.

Is the base and at least part of the shank where the barrel engraves onto it still intact?
The front can be messed up, but what you are looking at is the base and groves engraved into the driving area.

I load my 338nm w/ 255badland icbm 88.2 RL26. It travels at 2950fps . Next week I’m going to try 255icbm with 33xc. It should be 3200~3300fps
I was pushing the Warner Flatline 256 @ 3349 from a 30 inch 338 LM AI, I think you should be higher than 3200-3300 fps.

I am also in the process of developing my load of 255's and RL26. Haven't loaded any yet but here is the plan out of a 27" cadex bartlien 9.5 twist.

To the lands is 4.010 COAL.

Find velocity, Ladder test from 88gr up until I see pressure. Back it off a half of grain. This is not a comp gun so i don't mind running on the hotter side.

Load up 30 rounds starting at .050 jump 3 rounds every .003 seating depth.

Take the best shooting group and send it.

Any issues with this plan?

I would test it at distance. 300 yards min. Vertical should start to show but if u have access for longer range to set up paper, go for it… Don’t waste your time shooting at 100.

And yes send it 👊

I would load for lowest standard deviation and use a tuner to tighten your groups at 300-plus yards a quality tuner can make a world of difference especially when your rifle might not be throated Optimum for accuracy for a specific bullet

Tuner = seating depth adjustment. There is no way a tuner is fitting on this gun with a tank brake.
You are correct a tuner does equal seating depth changes if you have a throat that is way too long or throat is way too short and cannot get Optimum Apex seating depth in your cartridge case a tuner becomes very beneficial

You want a long throat. Look up modern testing with more jump.

Cliff notes: More jump = More Better.

Scott Satterlee also talks about this abit. He is running crazy freebores and seeing great results.

Reactions: BCX
You want a long throat. Look up modern testing with more jump.

Cliff notes: More jump = More Better.

Scott Satterlee also talks about this abit. He is running crazy freebores and seeing great results.

Nothing against Scott Satterlee, but he's also the guy that promoted the hell out of 10-shot ladders to find velocity "nodes".

He's a great shooter and a great guy, but ever since that I've been very wary of his reloading advice...