• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Badlands Rifle Training

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    I just enrolled in the Sniper Advanced Phase One class at Badlands in Grandfield Oklahoma.
    I have been to the range several times and I am very familiar to the climate/terrain there but I am clueless on the class other that what I have read on their website.

I am pretty sure there are people here that have taken the class and was wondering if there were any tips on gear to bring or else.
    I will be shooting my GAP 20" 6.5 Creedmoor with DMR scope with G2 Reticle. Shooting the 120 AMAX factory load.
    I guess I will bring my 20" .308/5.5x22 NXS with 175 FGMM as well in case a backup is needed.

There may not be anything here that I can pick up that wasn't on the site or common sense but figured it was worth a try.

BTW: I've been shooting LR since '08 but this is my first shooting class and I have shot only one (what you guys would call real) match. It was the Terry Cross/Jim Clark Match in Shreveport and I came in the upper half in which I was very proud of as I am only a hobby shooter with an obsession. I take my shooting very seriously and do my very best to make every shot count and only shoot great equipment with a steady dose of consistent match grade ammo. I am just trying to make sure that I will be prepared to make the very most of this class.

I've shot several 600-1000 yd benchrest and belly matches as they were the only things ever available.
    No Camo, positional, or field type shooting stuff has ever been taught or had to be used although I practice as much as possible by my lonesome.
    Being with other shooters will be a pleasant change.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

I took the basic long range class in April; I was fine with the usual range day items. My best piece of advise is to stay at the dorm for the class...I learned as much in the evening story-telling sessions as I did in the class. Steve and Bobby are great shooters, teachers, and people.

I took the basic long range class in April; I was fine with the usual range day items. My best piece of advise is to stay at the dorm for the class...I learned as much in the evening story-telling sessions as I did in the class. Steve and Bobby are great shooters, teachers, and people.

Thanks a lot!! That's one of the only things I was on the fence about. I want to stay there for that reason but I'm staying in my RV 15 minutes away. And it will be with me regardless.

I might just leave it at the small park in Grandfield and go back and forth as I please.

I totally agree about those guys as well. I met Mr. Bobby a while back and have going up there to bug him a lot lately and I think a lot of him. Very good guy. Mr. Steve is a great guy as well. I saw a small bit of their class the other day. The short time I was there I was very impressed.

What is the date your going Robert? I'm signed up to go in October. My uncle and his boy and his BIL are going as well.

What is the date your going Robert? I'm signed up to go in October. My uncle and his boy and his BIL are going as well.

Are you going for the basic class on 10/17? I'm planning on coming down that weekend to work on my spotting skills.

Nope guys. I got the June Class.

You know, that part of the year/country that's hot as hell.

No one here signed up for then?

Nope guys. I got the June Class.

You know, that part of the year/country that's hot as hell.

No one here signed up for then?

I will be there spotting and doing a little shooting during the basic class in June. I think the dates are June 20-23.

One of the really nice things Bobby promotes is welcoming class members back at anytime for no charge. He's big on the "Badlands family".

Robert! I didn't know you were thinking about going to this. I've been thinking about going to the advanced class also but I didn't have anyone to go with. I have a friend from Oklahoma that lives close to the grand field area but he's a beginner shooter. I was tempted to do the newb class with him just to go. If you were sighned up for October I'd be in but I'm busy working for a while.

I left you a voice mail, call me man!

Jay

Hey man. Got your msg but didn't get a callback number. Service here sucks. Give me another shout or text. If you don't wanna take this class you can probably shoot this weekend up here. I'm sure Mr bobby won't mind. I'll ask if you want to.

My wife just completed the basic class last week. She really did well. I really love that place - so many fond memories and getting to train with Bobby, Steve and Andy is such a treat.
    Planning on spending much more time up there in the near future.

My wife just completed the basic class last week. She really did well. I really love that place - so many fond memories and getting to train with Bobby, Steve and Andy is such a treat.
    Planning on spending much more time up there in the near future.

I'm the guy from Wichita that chatted in the street with you on Saturday before I headed back north. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.

And your spotting scope is badass!

I'm the guy from Wichita that chatted in the street with you on Saturday before I headed back north. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.

And your spotting scope is badass!

Hey brother, the pleasure was all mine. Wish we had more time to talk and hang out. I'm sure I'll run into you there soon enough...! Wife is already wanting to do the Advanced classes. I think my ammo budget is about to double...

I took this class a couple weeks ago. First, if you are looking for no non-sense instruction on how to hit things far away, then this is the class. Bobby, Steve and Andy are all great shooters. More importantly, they all possess the ability as instructors to transfer that knowledge base to the student. Second, the dorms are not the Ritz but I found them more than adequate for my needs of a training class. Third, the amount of knowledge that I received over a four day period is just plain staggering. Come to this class prepared to learn. Fourth, the level of safety I experienced from the instructors and students was refreshing. At no time did I feel uncomfortable about what was happening in the classroom or range.

I have taken many, many hours of instruction over the last twenty years. I feel confident you will not find a better value to knowledge ratio. I fully intend to take several more classes with them in the future.

I really enjoyed my time at Badlands. Here is a quick review I wrote on my experience there as well as one written by some one that went a few years before me. There is a chance I may be there for the September class if I am not still over in the sand box. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I didn't know what to expect when I flew in from Iraq to attend Badlands, but I can assure you that Bobby and Steve will take good care of you and you will have a great time. You may even learn a thing or two I know I did. When you get there tell Bobby and Steve that Shane says hello.

Badlands Tactical Advanced Sniper Rifle Phase I(Pic Heavy)

BadLands - Advanced Sniper Phase I - June 24-28, 2002

Bobby and Steve are great. For what it is worth Steve was a USMC sniper in Nam and holds the 6th highest record for most confirmed kills with a bolt action rifle. He is one of the most humble guys you will ever meet and you would not know about his military history unless someone told you.

Bobby and Steve are great. For what it is worth Steve was a USMC sniper in Nam and holds the 6th highest record for most confirmed kills with a bolt action rifle. He is one of the most humble guys you will ever meet and you would not know about his military history unless someone told you.

That's the truth!

Everyone should encourage Steve to get his book done. I've been waiting to read that thing for several years now.

That's the truth!

Everyone should encourage Steve to get his book done. I've been waiting to read that thing for several years now.

Especially if he includes the story about going to Indian country via the pterodactyl airport through the sulfur storm created by the volcanoes!

Hey Mitch welcome to the Hide.

Hopefully you guys got to see the award the government presented to Steve for his service to the country.
    Well deserved!

Fongman,

Were you there in late Dec. for the New Years Bash?

Hi Mk4,

No sir. But was able to make it to the July 4th celebration. It was a good weekend. Finally got some more night shooting in.
    Hope to meet you up there at some point.

It was a full house back in Dec. Got to see some new faces as well as some familiar ones. 2 days on the range. Well worth it!