• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BadRock South Fork

Somethings missing here, I can't quite put my finger on it...

IMG_0604smcr.jpg

When I was looking at the Bad Rock, I asked about the barrel contour and whether it was able to accept a pre-fit barrel. Here is the response I got from Cody at Bad Rock:

"The barrel goes from 1.250” at the action to .908 at the Muzzle. If your getting the rifle re Barreled we can do it her for $650. It will not accept a prefit barrel."

Seems more like a Heavy Palma. Krieger's Heavy Palma's are 1.250 to .900 at the muzzle.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Mine shipped today! Exactly 11 weeks from ordering to shipping as promised. :cool:

Reactions: RFMan
I think you will like it when you get it. I have seen one at the range and the guy was happy with it.

It was down to the BadRock and the MPA PMR Pro for me. I was lucky to find a 6.5 CM PMR Pro in stock at a dealer which made the decision easier. At the time, the BadRock was also 12 weeks out.

The PMR Pro was $500.00 more, but it includes the scope base, muzzle brake, 10 round Accurate Mag, and a few other accessories that will need to be added to the BadRock, so the total price will end up being pretty close.

What caliber are you going with? MDT chassis?
Im in this same boat right now, and reviving the thread for hopefully some more feedback from Bad Rock customers.

My FFL has a MPA PMR (non-pro model), in stock now. 2 actually. I know this isn't exactly apples to apples, since it can be found for approx. 1800 if you do your searching online, I like that the price includes a scope rail and mag but the A2 grip would be replaced right away.

For the defiance southfork, the price is sort of a wash when it comes to the add-ons, as all I would need is the scope rail (already have a muzzle brake and 3 mags to run) so the added costs arent as big of a factor.

I like the MDT chassis so that's factoring into my decision leaning towards the southfork, overall the MDT shape and LOP fits me pretty well, along with their angled grip, being my favorite (havent tried a straight grip yet).

At the same time, Ive heard nothing but good things about the MPA chassis (never tried one though, dont know anyone who shoots one), putting it up there closer to the MDT ACC than the LSS XL Gen 2 the south fork runs on, however, its a bit of an unfair comparison, as the details dont spell out that the southfork kit includes the $400 buttstock from MDT, along with the pistol grip, bringing the price of the chassis included probably closer to $900, as opposed to the approx. $500 base price of the LSS-XL Gen 2.

I guess my question is, are both of these similar enough to where you're making a decision based on the chassis you prefer when you buy it, or is the Defiance action in the south fork the bigger selling point here?

The chassis is indeed a big differentiator between the two.

The standard PMR has the MPA Hybrid Chassis. It is not as beefy as the BA Comp chassis in the PMR Pro and doesn't have all the features. The Hybrid does have the ARCA/Rat Rail built into the bottom of the chassis that is very cool, but it lacks thumb wheel adjustments for the cheek piece and LOP that the MDT has. Pretty close though.

The vertical grip, bag rider, front spigot, thumb wheel adjustments, and brake prompted me to go with the PMR Pro, but many of these can be added to the Hybrid/PMR for about the same money. Weight tuning kits are also available for the Hybrid.

On the actions, I really like the Curtis action in the MPA. It has really smoothed out with some use and the 60 degree bolt throw is nice. That said, I know the Defiance is steller and offers controlled round feed the Curtis lacks.

Bottom line, I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

Last edited:
The chassis is indeed a big differentiator between the two.

The standard PMR has the MPA Hybrid Chassis. It is not as beefy as the BA Comp chassis in the PMR Pro and doesn't have all the features. The Hybrid does have the ARCA/Rat Rail built into the bottom of the chassis that is very cool, but it lacks thumb wheel adjustments for the cheek piece and LOP that the MDT has. Pretty close though.

The vertical grip, bag rider, front spigot, thumb wheel adjustments, and brake prompted me to go with the PMR Pro, but many of these can be added to the Hybrid/PMR for about the same money. Weight tuning kits are also available for the Hybrid.

On the actions, I really like the Curtis action in the MPA. It has really smoothed out with some use and the 60 degree bolt throw is nice. That said, I know the Defiance is steller and offers controlled round feed the Curtis lacks.

Bottom line, I don't think you will be disappointed with either.
Thank you, reading that, I reviewed the product page and see that the PMR (non pro) is actually a stripped down model of the MPA Hybrid chassis.

If you buy the chassis separately, it looks like it includes the better pistol grip and bag rider. Buying it on the PMR (non pro), none of those items are included.

my current atlas is a picatinny mount (no arca accessories yet), so that one is kinda moot for me at the moment, but the MDT LSS has arca rails from $50-$70 if I ever do decide to add it on as well. Bag rider and grip are similarly added on to the MDT chassis (it comes with a nicer grip, but no bag rider, which I may migrate over from my other MDT chassis anyway)

I reached out to a few of the local PRS groups around me, to see if any one runs the PMR, in hopes of getting to try the chassis in person and see if it fits.

I think you're right on. I just picked up an MPA Hybrid Chassis from EuroOptic for my .223 build and it has the vertical grip, bag rider, spigot, and thumbscrews for the cheek piece. (The lefty even included the add-on thumb rest already installed on the grip.) I don't see these features in the PMR rifles I have seen pictured elsewhere. Maybe they will appear in new PMR's down the road?

I actually like the thumb screws for the cheek piece better than the thumb wheel on the Comp chassis as it is quick and easy to remove for cleaning. I typically don't adjust LOP, so the allen screws on that adjustment don't bother me.

I ended up going with the Really Right Stuff bipod mount that clamps on to either picatinny or 1.5 inch ARCA swiss rails. Very handy.
Screenshot (128).png

Thank you, reading that, I reviewed the product page and see that the PMR (non pro) is actually a stripped down model of the MPA Hybrid chassis.

If you buy the chassis separately, it looks like it includes the better pistol grip and bag rider. Buying it on the PMR (non pro), none of those items are included.

my current atlas is a picatinny mount (no arca accessories yet), so that one is kinda moot for me at the moment, but the MDT LSS has arca rails from $50-$70 if I ever do decide to add it on as well. Bag rider and grip are similarly added on to the MDT chassis (it comes with a nicer grip, but no bag rider, which I may migrate over from my other MDT chassis anyway)

I reached out to a few of the local PRS groups around me, to see if any one runs the PMR, in hopes of getting to try the chassis in person and see if it fits.
I have the Bad Rock chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor- love it. Love the MDT chassis too - of course everyone has a personal preferpence based on their own physical stature. Had the BR for a year and found out it loves Lapua brass (small rifle primer, use CCI BR4 or Fed 205M) and Lapua HPBT 139gr…. I really can’t harp enough on Lapua craftsman- expensive (and sometimes hard to find these days) but worth it. if you plan on shooting PRS production class, make sure you are aware of price limitations- both rifle and optics cannot exceed a certain MSRP (I.e., not what you paid for it but what the manufacturer lists the product price). I believe the rifle limit is now $2500 as is the optic limit. Unfortunately I believe that puts the Vortex Razor HD Gen II out as it’s MSRP is over that…. Another option is the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II - also Japanese glass as is the Razor HD (same factory?) but under the MSRP cap. I have not shot the Cronus but heard nothing but rave reviews. I shoot a Vortex Golden Eagle which I love as I shoot primarily F Class (known distance) - and the GE 2FP reticle, 15-60x, and 1/8 MOA increments is great for that application and can in a pinch be used for PRS; drawback is no lit reticle and the floating dot can sometimes become “lost” in some situations. Area 419 also offering custom rifle builds but look like they are above PRS production rifle cap - that a look: https://www.area419.com/product/2021-instockbuilds/?mc_cid=1ace43880e&mc_eid=17c37b8c68

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I have the Bad Rock chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor- love it. Love the MDT chassis too - of course everyone has a personal preferpence based on their own physical stature. Had the BR for a year and found out it loves Lapua brass (small rifle primer, use CCI BR4 or Fed 205M) and Lapua HPBT 139gr…. I really can’t harp enough on Lapua craftsman- expensive (and sometimes hard to find these days) but worth it. if you plan on shooting PRS production class, make sure you are aware of price limitations- both rifle and optics cannot exceed a certain MSRP (I.e., not what you paid for it but what the manufacturer lists the product price). I believe the rifle limit is now $2500 as is the optic limit. Unfortunately I believe that puts the Vortex Razor HD Gen II out as it’s MSRP is over that…. Another option is the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II - also Japanese glass as is the Razor HD (same factory?) but under the MSRP cap. I have not shot the Cronus but heard nothing but rave reviews. I shoot a Vortex Golden Eagle which I love as I shoot primarily F Class (known distance) - and the GE 2FP reticle, 15-60x, and 1/8 MOA increments is great for that application and can in a pinch be used for PRS; drawback is no lit reticle and the floating dot can sometimes become “lost” in some situations. Area 419 also offering custom rifle builds but look like they are above PRS production rifle cap - that a look: https://www.area419.com/product/2021-instockbuilds/?mc_cid=1ace43880e&mc_eid=17c37b8c68
Thank you for the heads up regrding the razor HD, I actually have a cronus BTR gen II ready for this exact build. Big fan of it. Almost went nightforce, was also considering the burris XTR 3, but landed on the cronus after comparing them side by side.

I have 2 MDT chassis currently so hard to ignore the fact that Im comfortable with them, and they work for me (MDT has a common design theme amongst their stuff, the shapes are mostly the same geometrically, and you basically go up/down in modification abilities between the chassis but most of them, in my opinion, have a common design theme and very similar overall design language), and I think the MDT pistol grip is one of the best Ive ever used on a rifle, bar none. Obviously this is all personal preference but in this case, it matters for me.

I really would like to get my hands on a masterpiece arms PMR (my ffl has them), but I dont think that just handling one would be as useful as actually shooting it, and thats the surefire test for me, so I dont know that I want to commit $2000 to a rifle built on a chassis platform Ive never seen (or used).

Getting it now would be nice vs. waiting for the southfork, but I think this is one of those situations thats worth the wait. Once I wrap up work today I think I'll be calling Tera back to place my order.

Reactions: HemiPowrd
Those of you who already have one, how is the chassis and buttstock configured?

I want to get the MDT folding stock adapter, Im assuming from the photos its the "fixed to fixed" configuration, but hard to tell without having my hands on it.

Those of you who already have one, how is the chassis and buttstock configured?

I want to get the MDT folding stock adapter, Im assuming from the photos its the "fixed to fixed" configuration, but hard to tell without having my hands on it.
It's a fixed buttstock.

Awesome. Ordered the folding adapter. Hopefully LOP isn’t all crazy with it.

It’ll be pretty long. I think the minimum LOP on the LSS-XL as it comes setup from BadRock (standard length fixed skeleton rifle stock) is 13.5”. The folding hinge adds 1.75” to that. So you’re looking at 15.25”

What’s great about MDT is that if you try the hinge and don’t like it, they’ll let you return it for a refund, no fuss. Or even cancel it before the order ships.

You could also replace the standard stock with the fixed “short LOP” version, which cuts off an inch. With the hinge that would give you a minimum LOP of 14.25”. But that’s expensive, and still pretty long.

It’ll be pretty long. I think the minimum LOP on the LSS-XL as it comes setup from BadRock (standard length fixed skeleton rifle stock) is 13.5”. The folding hinge adds 1.75” to that. So you’re looking at 15.25”

What’s great about MDT is that if you try the hinge and don’t like it, they’ll let you return it for a refund, no fuss. Or even cancel it before the order ships.

You could also replace the standard stock with the fixed “short LOP” version, which cuts off an inch. With the hinge that would give you a minimum LOP of 14.25”. But that’s expensive, and still pretty long.
I’ll have to do some measuring. My mdt oryx uses 2 shims ( I went by feel) out of the 4 shim kit to get to my ideal LOP. I tried measuring it originally and must have done it wrong because the formula gave me a reading that spit out needing like 5-6 shims and I’m only 5’11”.

I thought about the shortened skeleton stock, remember reading something posted on here by MDT that when ordering the new chassis they would all ship with the shortened version by default, but I’ll have to contact them about this and see what they say. The badrock website quoted specs don’t sound like build uses the shortened version.

edit: went back and measured exactly, my 22 oryx and my 6.5 oryx are right about 14.25"..guess I'll need to contact MDT and see what they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I've been looking at this rifle to begin my journey into PRS, but my hesitation is the CRF. Can this CRF be single fed? I know that's an issue with many CRFs, and it could be a deal-breaker for me if the Badrock can't single feed.

I've been looking at this rifle to begin my journey into PRS, but my hesitation is the CRF. Can this CRF be single fed? I know that's an issue with many CRFs, and it could be a deal-breaker for me if the Badrock can't single feed.
Absolutely. I shoot F Class with mine and single feed the beast. Have the magazine in to prevent round falling out.

Reactions: JumpinLegs

The Southfork action uses a sliding plate extractor (similar to what Zermatt uses), so single feeding is no problem.

You're probably thinking of Mauser style actions, which must have the round loaded in the magazine because the extractor cannon snap over the case rim if you just drop a round into the chamber. There are no such issues with the Southfork.