• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Baffle Strike Diagnosis

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    Well, I had a baffle strike yesterday and obviously don't want to repeat that. How do you guys go about diagnosing the problem?

Had a 6.5CM strike on my Rex 338 modular suppressor so something is obviously off. I've shot this can on a 338 Lapua, 300 Norma, 308 Win and a few others so it's obviously in the mount or threads of the barrel. I was shooting 130's in a 8 twist 6.5 CM so bullet should have been plenty stable

If you’re sure the mount and can are mounted correctly then pull the bolt and look down the barrel with the bore centered. See if you notice the end of the can

For a 6.5 to be that far off to hit a 338 can should be fairly noticeable

If you’re sure the mount and can are mounted correctly then pull the bolt and look down the barrel with the bore centered. See if you notice the end of the can

For a 6.5 to be that far off to hit a 338 can should be fairly noticeable
    I'm not 100% sure the mount or threads are perfect so my best guess is the threads are the issue (based on Zak's suggestion, thank you btw). I've swapped these muzzle devices around enough on 30 cal barrels with a different 30 cal suppressor that I should have seen an issue there by now

I'm not 100% sure the mount or threads are perfect so my best guess is the threads are the issue (based on Zak's suggestion, thank you btw). I've swapped these muzzle devices around enough on 30 cal barrels with a different 30 cal suppressor that I should have seen an issue there by now
    The issue would likely be the threads on the rifle or the bullet blew apart. But I’ve seen a guy mount an omega 36m on his brake and the collar wasn’t opened all the way. Can was mounted off enough it would have hit if not noticed

The can to mount check would be operator error if that was the case. It happens

Without pictures of the setup as it was when the strike occurred there is no way to diagnose the cause. If the can was not mounted properly that could be the cause. If the barrel threads are off a rod would show. Short of a bullet defect, who knows?

Yeah, like others said, an suppressor made for 8.6mm and you are shooting 2.1mm thinner projectile has to be a barrel or mounting problem. I hate to ask, but did you run a rod through the suppressor before starting? I am guessing not, but not judging.

Barrel concentricity on a button cut or broached rifle is quite variable (known as run out), and needs to be checked when cutting the barrel. A typicaly button barrel will have the bore snake aroound more than you think, and the skill, or the luck is cutting the muzzle end where the barrel is concentric, and tossing to scrap when it is not. This is one of the bigger differences in a match grade barrel and a barrel that will shoot okay. For example, Douglas, which makes some of the finest buttoned barrels around, grades the final product as standard or XX (going from memory), and this is all about run-out.

A simple insertation of a bore gauge saves the day. There are a handful of brands out there, but from $40 to $95, you will get a straight guide to insert and use and check before using the suppressor. Dave from Dead Air has a nice how-to video, and others more adept than me might agree with him: he inserts the rod all the way back so that just the end is sticking out of the suppressor. I prefer to use only the last 3" of the barrel, due to the potential snaking of the bore. For this excercise, I do not care about the run-out or variability of the path of the barrel bore, I care about the exit from the bore, and the threads and the squareness of the shoulder of the barrel at the end of the threads, as I am interested in two things:

1) is the angle of the projectile through the suppressor aligned to the suppressor cone and end aperature, and;
    2) does the suppressor sit square on the end of the barrel.

Yeah, like others said, an suppressor made for 8.6mm and you are shooting 2.1mm thinner projectile has to be a barrel or mounting problem. I hate to ask, but did you run a rod through the suppressor before starting? I am guessing not, but not judging.

Barrel concentricity on a button cut or broached rifle is quite variable (known as run out), and needs to be checked when cutting the barrel. A typicaly button barrel will have the bore snake aroound more than you think, and the skill, or the luck is cutting the muzzle end where the barrel is concentric, and tossing to scrap when it is not. This is one of the bigger differences in a match grade barrel and a barrel that will shoot okay. For example, Douglas, which makes some of the finest buttoned barrels around, grades the final product as standard or XX (going from memory), and this is all about run-out.

A simple insertation of a bore gauge saves the day. There are a handful of brands out there, but from $40 to $95, you will get a straight guide to insert and use and check before using the suppressor. Dave from Dead Air has a nice how-to video, and others more adept than me might agree with him: he inserts the rod all the way back so that just the end is sticking out of the suppressor. I prefer to use only the last 3" of the barrel, due to the potential snaking of the bore. For this excercise, I do not care about the run-out or variability of the path of the barrel bore, I care about the exit from the bore, and the threads and the squareness of the shoulder of the barrel at the end of the threads, as I am interested in two things:

1) is the angle of the projectile through the suppressor aligned to the suppressor cone and end aperature, and;
    2) does the suppressor sit square on the end of the barrel.
    Thanks for the heads up, I have 3 other barrels from this manufacturer and they have all shot fine through this suppressor but that doesn't mean mistakes can't be made.

I did not bore gauge, may have to invest in one after this (I was expecting a 338 bore suppressor to have plenty of room for any error).

Thanks all!

Another factor might be the suppressor loosened up while shooting. Although you have such a large room for error re: .338” can for a .2644“ bullet is over a 1/16”…you’d think the suppressor being loose and that misaligned you would have noticed immediately after the strike.

But time slows or speeds a bit after something like that and perception changes, so maybe you missed it?

Semi unrelated side note: gdamn caliber naming conventions…why isn’t 6.5cm not called 6.72 Creedmoor? And why is 338 Lapua not 339 Lapua? .223 is really .224. Etc. Would it matter from a marketing perspective? I think not, unless there is already a similarly named cartridge. Sorry I know we all know this lol

Another factor might be the suppressor loosened up while shooting. Although you have such a large room for error re: .338” can for a .2644“ bullet is over a 1/16”…you’d think the suppressor being loose and that misaligned you would have noticed immediately after the strike.

But time slows or speeds a bit after something like that and perception changes, so maybe you missed it?

Semi unrelated side note: gdamn caliber naming conventions…why isn’t 6.5cm not called 6.72 Creedmoor? And why is 338 Lapua not 339 Lapua? .223 is really .224. Etc. Would it matter from a marketing perspective? I think not, unless there is already a similarly named cartridge. Sorry I know we all know this lol
    Bolt gun, first round of the day, verified everything was tight after the strike 😬

Reactions: carbonbased