• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bafoonery and a stuck case. Help!!

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Made a stupid mistake and now have a stuck .308 case in my F/L sizing die. Is there any other way to get this out myself or is my only option to send it in to Forster?

If you do not use an expander ball or if it is a bushing die, you may be able to remover the entire decapping pin assembly from the top of the die. If you can, do so. Then, provided you are using a decent press, leave the die screwed into the press, take a steel rod and put it thru the top of the die all the way down to the bottom of the case and whack the end of the rod with a hammer. Should come right out. No promises that it will not fuck up the die threads or the threading on the press, but it worked just fine with an old rock chucker and redding bushing dies.

Awesome, thanks BLDTYLRY! Any chance you know if this works for all dies or just Forster? Im not planning on getting anymore stuck, but have a feeling itll happen again. I also use Redding dies.

19Scout77: IM using the expander ball, but thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Bafoonery and a stuck case. Help!!

Remove the nut from the decapping pin, and use a hammer on it to drive the brass out of the case. Usually gets it out, but you'll need to replace the decapping assembly. Depends on the design of the die though.

Awesome, thanks BLDTYLRY! Any chance you know if this works for all dies or just Forster? Im not planning on getting anymore stuck, but have a feeling itll happen again. I also use Redding dies.

19Scout77: IM using the expander ball, but thanks for the tip!

This kit should work on all dies. One thing you may need is a nut that is threaded to match the decapping assy.

Made a stupid mistake and now have a stuck .308 case in my F/L sizing die. Is there any other way to get this out myself or is my only option to send it in to Forster?

Stuck my first 6 Creedmoor case today because it was being stubborn and didn't want to resize near the base, after lubing the case a third time it finally got stuck probably due to the mink oil I was using turned oily on top and didn't provide enough slipperyness. so I had to go a 2 blocks away to Fastenel and buy a 1/4-20 Tap, 1/4-20 machine bolt, 2 larger nuts and a strong washer that fit on top not over the die. Just turned the die upside down and screwed it to the underneath of the press, turned the lock ring to the bottom of the die and locked it tight so it wouldn't turn, of course the base of the shell is sticking up now above the top of the press. Now drilll a hole with your 7/32 drill, then tap it, place the 2 nuts over the dies, washer on top of them and screw your 1 1/4" long 1/4-20 machine bolt and start turning clockwise, comes out in a min.

Parts you'll need. Of course you'll have to take the decapping unit off. Just like this vid.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/daSamc3XUic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
POo63YQ.jpg

Thanks Jgorsky! Already had the forster kit in the mail. This is great info though for anyone else who runs into this problem!

Or use a Lee (gasp!) die and whack it out with a hammer. They are built to do exactly this. If you think you bent the decaping pin, just roll it on a flat surface to see if it is still straight or not. I have pounded out 3 .308 cases in this manner and never bent one. Quick hint. Lube the die before sizing. Never stuck another case.

Tapping the primer pocket and using nut and washer worked well for me. Worked well enough, I now keep a set on hand in the same tray w/ trashed brass from first time. They stay in plain sight (beside my lube pad) as a reminder.