• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Bag filling - how much ?

Bad Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2008
West Wales, UK
I zero my .17 cal Remington at 200 yards off a bench using front and rear bags. But I'm never sure just how much filling media is required; should the bags fold around the stock and how much grip is necessary from the bags ? Any guidelines would be appreciated.

Re: Bag filling - how much ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I zero my .17 cal Remington at 200 yards off a bench using front and rear bags. But I'm never sure just how much filling media is required; should the bags fold around the stock and how much grip is necessary from the bags ? Any guidelines would be appreciated.
</div></div>

Unless your shooting BR, I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference. As long as the front bag isnt filled to the point of being "Hard", it's OK. Too hard or too full and you'll get some rifle bounce. Too soft and the rifle will settle or move too easy.

On leather bags, baby powder makes the rifle slide in the bags like it's on rails.

Re: Bag filling - how much ?

Thanks for the advice.

The front bag is a Caldwell Tack Driver, which is very long and deep, so when it's full or partially full it still clings to the forend. Would it be better to use something smaller/shallower for a more consistent recoil ?