• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bag or bipod?

Rastoff

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
I'm relatively new to long range shooting. I've got a Ruger Precision Rifle and an LR308. At the moment I only have one scope; Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP(mrad).

I have a bipod that's OK. It's made by a company called Green Blob and is an Atlas clone. I also have Caldwell shooting bags. For some reason, I seem to shoot better from the bag. Is this in my head or can it be real? If real, what could possibly be causing the difference? I mean, both seem to hold the rifle very still.

I think the bag can be a bit more forgiving if recoil management is not perfect.

Agreed, I have found a front bag to be more forgiving but a bipod and rear bag to be easier and equally accurate once you get the hang of it.

To fully utilize the bipod you need to "Load it" which is pushing your weight and shoulder into it. for the best results and accuracy you have to load it to the same amount each time. Always go with what gives you better groups. It's a personal preference, loading the bipod will also help with managing recoil where a bag would offer no recoil management. I prefer to use a bipod whether I'm shooting prone or on a bench. Here's an older video Lowlight did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjG1JZxiui0

The most helpful thing I found was building the position correctly. If something was off (and by off I mean that reticle was off the target when you were in position with the bipod loaded) dont simply force the reticle on target. Build your position again to obtain the natural point of aim. The littlest bit of force to get the reticle on target is extremely difficult to hold exactly the same. This differences cause stringing in that direction. Youll know you have everything perfect when the reticle doesn't move at all when dry firing. When you get there put some rounds in and shoot a group. Then do it all over again.

To to answer you question on tips on how to get there without spending 6k on ammo...that is easy, find a good class or meantor. This is all somewhat difficult to self diagnose.

I shoot more accurately off a bag when sitting on a bench as loading the bipod can be harder due to lack of grip. I think it's good to practice with both. However in the field I shoot off a pack most of the time. I agree on finding a mentor that can help. Otherwise there are tons of online training videos that can help you with the fundamentals of building good positions.

If your shooting from prone, I found a suggestion online to preoload the bipod by flexing your lower back and butt, then releasing. It will pull the rifle back slightly, and then push it equally forward again once you relax the muscles. I find it works quite well and has been fairly consistent for me so far. It can be surprisingly hard to learn how to shoot off a bipod properly, especially on concrete.

I went to Sniper School when the ruck was the only way to shoot, we had not bipods, they only existed on machine guns, and even we used our tent poles as a small tripod.

The bag is good for one or two shots, it's not consistent. Bipods are consistent and accurate shooting is all about consistency.

Learn to shoot correctly off a bipod, even concrete, is not hard, you just need to look in the right place.

We have over 45 of instruction on recoil management with a bipod in the Online Training.

Even for free on YouTube we have a bunch stuff, going back to the very beginning

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nqxNBl4FLDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here this is old, going back to 2009 we have learned even more since this video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VjG1JZxiui0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lowlight, this came up the other day in a "bipod hop" thread. We referred the OP to a number of the training videos on recoil management, but none of us could recall a video where you or Jacob intentionally induced hop to demonstrate which errors lead to which recoil problems. Is ther one that comes to mind for you that we can refer to in the future?